IA-3: Former Gubernatorial candidate Ed Fallon to challenge Boswell in Primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:14:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IA-3: Former Gubernatorial candidate Ed Fallon to challenge Boswell in Primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IA-3: Former Gubernatorial candidate Ed Fallon to challenge Boswell in Primary  (Read 1695 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2008, 10:24:34 AM »

While Republicans have yet to be able to locate any challenger to Congressman Leonard Boswell (D), the 74-year-old incumbent finds himself facing a competitive primary challenge from the left. Former State Representative Ed Fallon (D), a progressive activist and vocal Iraq War critic, announced he will oppose Boswell in the primary. Fallon said Democrats need to show "more backbone" in Washington. Fallon was an underdog candidate for Governor in 2006 -- finishing third statewide with a surprisingly strong 26% in the four-way primary -- and carried CD-3. Boswell, who voted for the 2002 Iraq War resolution, endorsed Hillary Clinton for President shortly before the Iowa Caucuses. The incumbent starts with over $600,000 in his campaign account.

http://www.politics1.com/
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 05:51:17 PM »

Jeff Lamberti should've waited till 2008... Now that he's no longer in the State Senate, doesn't he have more free time to explore a run for Congress?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 06:00:57 PM »

Methinks that this seat is more likely to fall (whether Boswell reaches the General Election or not) than almost all of the Democrat gains of 2006.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 06:03:22 PM »

Methinks that this seat is more likely to fall (whether Boswell reaches the General Election or not) than almost all of the Democrat gains of 2006.

Well, the Republicans have to first get an opponent before March 14.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 06:04:14 PM »

While that may be a little of an overstatement, I completely concur with your view of Boswell's vulnerability. His 2006 performance was dismal for a three-term incumbent running in the best year for Iowa Democrats in half a century.

If the GOP can recruit a strong candidate (paging Jeff Lamberti...), Boswell, who's grown increasingly ornery and distant from his district in recent years, could face a stiff reelection challenge.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 06:07:13 PM »

While that may be a little of an overstatement, I completely concur with your view of Boswell's vulnerability. His 2006 performance was dismal for a three-term incumbent running in the best year for Iowa Democrats in half a century.

If the GOP can recruit a strong candidate (paging Jeff Lamberti...), Boswell, who's grown increasingly ornery and distant from his district in recent years, could face a stiff reelection challenge.

Do you think that a more active Democrat would have an easier time holding IA-03 than Boswell? 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 06:09:03 PM »

Do they not have one yet? In a natural marginal with a weak incumbent and which actually swing to them in a year in which they were mauled in Iowa? Amazing.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 06:10:05 PM »

Do you think that a more active Democrat would have an easier time holding IA-03 than Boswell? 
Yes, I'd argue a Democrat who more closely paid attends the needs of  this district would likely be less vulnerable to defeat. However, since this district is essentially a 50/50 swing district, no Democrat can take it for granted.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 06:11:28 PM »

Yes, I'd argue a Democrat who more closely paid attends the needs of  this district would likely be less vulnerable to defeat. However, since this district is essentially a 50/50 swing district, no Democrat can take it for granted.

I would think that any Democrat would likely hold this seat in 2008 if Democrats carry Iowa in the Presidential race. 
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 06:12:02 PM »

Bush won it by exactly 50%-50% in 2004 and I think Lamberti may have be the only Democratic incumbent to lose ground in 2006 compared to 2004.  I would think this could be a top GOP target - even if they don't have a very good year in Iowa. 
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 06:13:44 PM »

I would think that any Democrat would likely hold this seat in 2008 if Democrats carry Iowa in the Presidential race. 
If the GOP recruits Lamberti and Boswell barely wins a bitter Democrats primary, this district could go Republican regardless of the way Iowa is voting in the Presidential election. Since that scenario is still remote at this point, I'd agree that this seat still leans Democratic.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 06:17:26 PM »

Do they not have one yet? In a natural marginal with a weak incumbent and which actually swing to them in a year in which they were mauled in Iowa? Amazing.
Politics1 says State Senator Brad Zaun is considering a challenge, but little has been heard about this since May. Cyclone Conservative, a grassroots Iowa Republican blog, speculates Lamberti and Stan Thompson (Boswell's 2002 and 2004 challengers) may also run.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 06:18:28 PM »

Nope.  I expect one will arrive, but he may not be that strong.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2008, 06:23:34 PM »

Do you think Lamberti or Thompson could pose a threat to Boswell's chances?  I think that if either one runs against Boswell, IA-03 will host the most competitive House race in Iowa.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 06:27:23 PM »

Do you think Lamberti or Thompson could pose a threat to Boswell's chances?  I think that if either one runs against Boswell, IA-03 will host the most competitive House race in Iowa.

I suspect, regardless of who runs, that this will be the most competitive Iowa House race.  Tongue
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 02:33:44 AM »

Bush won it by exactly 50%-50% in 2004 and I think Lamberti may have be the only Democratic incumbent to lose ground in 2006 compared to 2004.

Lamberti did not lose ground.  Boswell is the incumbent.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 07:34:33 AM »

Bush won it by exactly 50%-50% in 2004 and I think Lamberti may have be the only Democratic incumbent to lose ground in 2006 compared to 2004.

Lamberti did not lose ground.  Boswell is the incumbent.

Yeah you're right sorry thats what I meant. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies