Wesley Clark Drops Out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:03:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Wesley Clark Drops Out
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Wesley Clark Drops Out  (Read 4446 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2004, 02:34:17 PM »

Why haven't Edwards dropped out yet? It's clearly over now, I mean Kerry won over 50% in VIRGINIA!

Edwards probably wants to see how he will do against Kerry in a two man race and with Dean and the others on the decline clearly Edwards is number two right now. If Kerry continues to win close to 50% or more in every state, obviously he is unstoppable. Sure, he looks unstoppable now and will most probably be the nominee. But, he only has about 25% of the delegates needed to win, so there still is the chance (however small), that Edwards could stop him, at least in Edwards mind.

I think Edwards should compete on March 2, because I believe people should have a choice and Kerry will not be anywhere near the number of delegates he needs before that day. So why not let the voters in states larger than Michigan have their say, that is NY, CA, an OH. Michigan is the eighth largest state and so far Kerry's best at 52% which is only slightly over half.

You may think that Edwards doesn't have a chance, but I think in Edwards mind he has a chance. He has done well for second place. He did well in Iowa, a close fourth in NH, won SC and almost tied in OK. So I think  it is too soon to rule him out entirely. Dean appeared to be unstoppable just a month ago.

I am going to wait until March 2 before I am convinced that Kerry is going to win.

If Edwards couldn't win in Tennessee and Virginia he can't win anywhere. I agree that it need not really be like that, but American primary politics are pretty twisted, we just have to accept it. I can't see Edwards getting the necessary momentum anywhere to win on SUper Tuesday.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2004, 03:50:42 PM »

Why haven't Edwards dropped out yet? It's clearly over now, I mean Kerry won over 50% in VIRGINIA!
If he drops out, he isn't as good of a choice for VP, I think.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2004, 05:47:15 PM »

If he drops out, he isn't as good of a choice for VP, I think.

If he drops out and endorses Kerry he might still be... Wink

Anyway, the whole "this is not George Bush's backyard, this is MY backyard, and I will NOT lose in MY backyard" might seem a little weak after losing "HIS backyard" to a Taxachussetts liberal like John Kerry...just a thought... Wink
Demrepdan

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2004, 06:35:47 PM »

With Clark out.....many of the Clark supporters may switch to Kerry....because they supported Clark due to his military background....so now they switch to Kerry.

Then again......many Clark supporters may go to Edwards.....because SOME may have supported Clark because he was from the south.....now more of those voters will go to Edwards.

Ultimately....I think it will help Edwards....but help Kerry even MORE....and Kerry doesn't need anymore help.
zachman

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2004, 06:48:16 PM »

The Clark voters here in NH voted for him because he would make the best president, which I believe he would have.  They voted on electability and being in touch. Clark campaign was much more of a traditional meet the voters style campaign. He had so many rallys (Edwards did too) here.

Perhaps the best thing I saw out of Clark, was at the last debate in NH, which I attended. Walking out of the theater I saw the general just having a conversation with a voter who was walking out of the theater. It was amazing! Every candidate was busy doing exclusive interviews and he was just talking with a voter. He is a great guy and was the most friendly candidate in the field (Edwards and Lieberman also deserve mention).

What killed Clark was the state of the race and his press secretary, who must have made some nasty comments to the media execs. Somehow the media gave up on Clark, when he was rising in NH in December. Clark was also killed by the two weeks before the Iowa caucus when the 4 way race was a great headline. Clark is a great man, and I hope he becomes sec. of state.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2004, 09:13:48 PM »

Clark actually did better among non-vets in VA than he did with vets---check the exits.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies