2008: A Realignment in the making (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 12:31:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  2008: A Realignment in the making (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008: A Realignment in the making  (Read 11430 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: January 12, 2008, 02:15:43 PM »

The GOP has run out of steam, but is there an alternative? ...and what happens if there is none?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 02:41:59 PM »

No doubt McCain would be a very strong candidate if the electorate wants change.

but he voted with Bush like 85%, if not 90% of the time. I don't see how that is change.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 10:38:58 PM »

No doubt McCain would be a very strong candidate if the electorate wants change.

but he voted with Bush like 85%, if not 90% of the time. I don't see how that is change.

I know many democrats who at the very least like and respect McCain. They remember all the times he went against Bush. Face it, the Democrats are NOT running against George W. Bush this fall.

But, they are running against the ideology that created this fiasco in time. A lot of dems respect Huck, but would never vote for him. Same thing for Hillary. Even Newt tipped his shovel to her.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 03:13:54 AM »

So, is 2008 a now or never election for the U.S., where Americans vote for change or for starting our drawn-out suicide?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 12:52:43 AM »

I think the other point to note is that within one political cycle, both parties may move in the same direction - which can explain why different parties can hold the White House within the one cycle. Politicians in both parties, after all, are fairly astute at seeing which way the wind is blowing.

Could this also show how Gilded Age Republicans were replaced by Progressive Republicans, instead of democrats?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 10:30:58 PM »

Could this also show how Gilded Age Republicans were replaced by Progressive Republicans, instead of democrats?

That's exactly what I was thinking, Angry Weasel. The Gilded Age Republicans still would have been members of the Republican Party, but their strength within the Republican Party became less as more moderate/progressive members joined (mainly as society shifted to become more moderate/progressive), thus allowing moderate republicans to take the White House, following a more conservative Republican. If McCain wins the nomination and then wins in November, that could well be another sign of a realignment.
...or it could just mean realignment from more traditional conservatives to what you could call neo-cons, moderate domestically, but very hawkish. I could be better, it could be worse than what we have now.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 11:03:44 PM »

First, in looking at policy, Nixon was closer to FDR than Reagan; so was Eisenhower.

I view re-alignments as 6 year affairs. 

1858-64

1894-1900

1930-36

1978-84

Yes. I'll give you that...but it was Nixon who touted his conservatism and started the Burger Court. Maybe 1974-1980? 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 03:01:54 AM »

First, in looking at policy, Nixon was closer to FDR than Reagan; so was Eisenhower.

I view re-alignments as 6 year affairs. 

1858-64

1894-1900

1930-36

1978-84

Yes. I'll give you that...but it was Nixon who touted his conservatism and started the Burger Court. Maybe 1974-1980? 

The Courts don't prompt electoral re-alignments.
Not their decisions, but when a president runs on stacking the court to the right and wins where he couldn't have before...you may have a re-alignment. In fact, I would say that the Court's behaviors signal when a realignment has occured.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies