Is 8 years as a state senator not adequate "experience"? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:20:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Is 8 years as a state senator not adequate "experience"? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is 8 years as a state senator not adequate "experience"?  (Read 1879 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« on: January 12, 2008, 11:34:01 AM »

Yes, but Hillary Clinton has more years in the Senate than he does and 8 years as First Lady.

There's a difference between a state legislature and Congress. Wider issues, much bigger budgets.

Note also that Obama was not seriously electorally tested in his Illinois Senate run (I don't know about his state legislature results). His opponents all had scandals.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 12:35:25 PM »

Note also that Obama was not seriously electorally tested in his Illinois Senate run (I don't know about his state legislature results). His opponents all had scandals.

he was a massive underdog in the Democratic primary.

Yeah, but his opponent faced domestic abuse allegations.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 12:38:58 PM »

Given the mistake we made the current president and his lack of any experience, I feel like some experience is necessary...and I'm not sure how Illinois' legislative sessions are done, but I think 8 years just isn't enough...sure maybe he has some domestic policy experience, but I just don't know if his 3 or so years in the senate makes up for it.

But perhaps he has other qualities which will, and should likely, make him infinitely better than the dope in chief

President Bush spent six years as Governor of Texas- and was re-elected with 69% of the vote.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 12:46:10 PM »

he was a massive underdog in the Democratic primary.

Yeah, but his opponent faced domestic abuse allegations.
One of six. Granted, Blair Hull was considered the early frontrunner, but he ended up coming third. Obama just rose out of nowhere with some important endorsements and a great debate performance to take a wholly unexpected 53% of the vote.

Yeah, but there's still a difference between a Democratic primary and a general.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 12:50:42 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2008, 12:53:12 PM by Ivan Smirnov »

What has Obama actually done in the Senate anyway?

While we're on the subject, why was the guy being called Barack J Obama in 2004?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 12:56:35 PM »

From his wiki page:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Typo, I guess? the H and J keys are right next to each other.

OK, anything that has dramatically changed things?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 01:01:51 PM »

Of course not. But then the same is true of the vast majority of Senators and Congresscritters.

So, the whole bunch remains awful. At least Johnson was Majority Leader.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 02:05:53 PM »

Why ask this question? How has Hillary, Edwards, Guiliani, Romney, Huckabee, any of them 'dramatically changed things'? You're holding Obama up to a higher standard for no reason at all.

With the exception of McCain, none of them. I'm holding Obama to exactly the same standards I'm holding everyone else.

While we're on McCain, how did he get captured in Vietnam?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 02:09:54 PM »

Why ask this question? How has Hillary, Edwards, Guiliani, Romney, Huckabee, any of them 'dramatically changed things'? You're holding Obama up to a higher standard for no reason at all.

With the exception of McCain, none of them. I'm holding Obama to exactly the same standards I'm holding everyone else.

He was a navy pilot and was shot down by North Vietnamese air defenses during an air raid.

Thanks. Wondered if it was via a stupid action of his own.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 02:33:30 PM »

He was a navy pilot and was shot down by North Vietnamese air defenses during an air raid.

Thanks. Wondered if it was via a stupid action of his own.

You lefties are always giving the bad guy the benefit of the doubt. First thought was to put the American in the "who done it" seat first. Tsk, Tsk.

Centre-leftie, thank you. I thought McCain might have walked into an ambush or something.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 03:48:18 PM »

You know what we should do? Take each of the candidates, mock up a Situation Room and put them through a simulated major crisis. That'd sort out the good from the bad very quickly.

So, what applies to Obama applies to Clinton.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 03:52:46 PM »

While we're on the subject, why was the guy being called Barack J Obama in 2004?

Obama passed an ethics bill with John McCain, an anti-earmark bill with Jim DeMint, and a  government transparency measure with Tom Coburn.

Hillary Clinton has done NOTHING in eight years in the U.S Senate. Hillary should refund the voters of New York for her eight years of seatwarming.

Right, thank you. So, he's done something useful. How, though, does that mean he'll be a great President?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 04:02:40 PM »

The Hillary Clinton Record:

President of the Wellesley College Republicans
Married a charismatic politician
Failed to reform Arkansas' health care system
Served on the Wal-Mart board of advisers
Blackmailed her husband's paramours
Failed to reform America's health care system
Drank tea with the wifes of dictators
Failed to divorce philanderer husband
Kissed Yasir Arafat's wife
Served eight years in the Senate and didn't pass one major piece of legislation
Race-baited Barack Obama
Allowed surrogate to attack Obama for self-admitted drug abuse

Hillary Clinton: A lazy social climber with racist proclivities.

Schumer, could you please respond to my posts in one post, not two. It makes life easier for everyone.

Strong communicator- big deal. It may be necessary, but it's not an automatic guarantee of greatness. So was Jimmy Carter- and the current President.

He may well be very intelligent, but so is most of the US government. You don't get stupid people there- even the President.

BTW, I don't actually support Hillary now. Should have made that clear earlier.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies