Carpetbaggers... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:13:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Carpetbaggers... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Carpetbaggers...  (Read 3849 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: August 09, 2004, 08:25:13 PM »

no amendment necessary.  Let the people elect whomever they want

I agree with that. If they feel that a "carpet-bagger" candidate is a better person for the job, they should be able to vote for that candidate.
Exactly so, in IL it is not unusual for candiadtes to shift districts for state offices, and even for US House races. I don't think it's happened for US Senate, but the ability of the candidate to represent me well in Washington is a very important consideration for any Congressional candidate. Part of that representation is knowledge of issues unique to my state and locale. I'll be reading press releases carefully.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 09:59:50 AM »

In fine IL tradition, the Democrats are also going out of state for a replacement candidate. Long time Congressman Bill Lipinski withdrew from the ballot last week to retire. The Democrats selected his son to replace him on the ballot. It turns out that his son lives in Tennessee where he works as a political science professor.

The new candidate will of course move to IL to meet the legal residency requirements. There is no doubt that he will win this heavily Democratic district.

I don't object to this selection any more than I do Keyes. The drafted candidates will meet the legal residency requirements, and the voters will decide which candidate will best represent them. Knowing the issues unique to the electorate should be an issue, but residency does not guarantee that knowledge, nor does living out-of-state guarantee a lack of knowledge.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies