Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 11:50:52 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Election What-ifs?
| | |-+  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Bacon King)
| | | |-+  Gore/Harkin vs. Powell/Wilson-1996
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Which ticket would win?
Gore/Harkin   -3 (60%)
Powell/Wilson   -2 (40%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 5

Author Topic: Gore/Harkin vs. Powell/Wilson-1996  (Read 510 times)
GPORTER
gporter
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2008, 09:49:25 pm »
Ignore

Bill Clinton, because of sudden health problems, scandals, and a strong republican take over of the congress in 1994, declines to run for reelection in 1996.

Al Gore runs for the nomination, after being endorsed by Clinton, and wins the democratic nomination. Gore selects Tom Harkin of Iowa as his running mate.

On the republican side, Colin Powell runs for the GOP nomination and he selects Pete Wilson as his running mate.

There is no independent candidacy.

Which ticket would win? Discuss with maps.
Mideast Assemblyman Ben
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 10:02:18 pm »
Ignore

The idea that Clinton would not run because of scandals and the Republican Revolution are absurd and hackish.  Gore would win narrowly, 286-252

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
PBrunsel
YaBB God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:31:08 pm »
Ignore

The right-wing, which has just had a glory day in 1994, would never allow a Powell/Wilson ticket to run without a challenge. Pat Buchanan and Alan Keyes run as the nominees of the U.S. Taxpayer Party, crippling Powell in many states he may have won. The idea that there is no  independent candidacy is ludicrous. I can assure you Buchanan would never allow Powell, a liberal easterner, to run away with the Republican Party and then win the Oval Office.

Gore/Harkin (D): 363 EV; 48.6% of the PV
Powell/Wilson (R): 175 EV; 39.1% of the PV
Buchanan/Keyes (UTP): 0 EV; 12.3% of the PV

In Iowa. Representative Jim Lighthorse Campbell is elected to the Senate while Leonard Boswell, a Democrat, picks up Campbell’s house seat. 

"I know that the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."
-President Abraham Lincoln, December 1862
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout