is Hillary done among blacks?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:49:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  is Hillary done among blacks?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: is Hillary done among blacks?  (Read 1227 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2008, 04:00:59 PM »

not too long ago, it seemed as if she would be competitive with Obama among blacks.  but now, not so much.  her "alluding to race" did her no favors with blacks (as Michigan justifies, with 70% of blacks voting for a concept over Hillary) and they start to play a bigger role with SC on 01/26 and a bunch of Super Tuesday states (AL, DE, NY, IL, and so on.)  so she's going to have to win this thing on the backs of older whites and Hispanics.

agreed?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 04:02:25 PM »

Agreed, although her lead among Hispanics was, at last telling, almost as large as Obama's lead among blacks. At this point, I think she may lose the black vote even in late states should Obama drop out and she coast to victory.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 04:09:37 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2008, 04:17:14 PM by GM3PRP »

Let's be brutally honest, if she could get away with it she'd have another insider fall on the sword for her by dropping the "N" bomb if it could help her campaign.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 04:10:01 PM »

Obama leads Clinton among blacks 56-25% in SC according to MD.  I expect him to do better than that...  probably closer to 75-25...
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 04:14:28 PM »

LOL.  You folks are ruthless.

For the record:  although I frequently point out that she's a c**nt, I have never called her a bigot.

I honestly think there's some misinterpretation here.  Ah, all is well that ends well.  If misinterpretation keeps the bitch out of the white house, then I guess it's okay by me.  But don't you think it's a tad belittling to postulate that black voters can't think for themselves?
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 04:18:35 PM »

She is done with blacks in the primaries which is her plan.  She knows if the divide is racial she wins because there are more whites than blacks.  Nice strategy Hill.  It's working.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 04:20:31 PM »

She is done with blacks in the primaries which is her plan.  She knows if the divide is racial she wins because there are more whites than blacks.  Nice strategy Hill.  It's working.

but Obama is still very competitive among whites, especially in the midwest and north, and he'll win younger whites.  so it's not white vs. black.  it's just that Hillary's coalition contains no blacks.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 04:25:40 PM »

Obama seems to do well with whites in Plains and Rocky Mt states (white collar workers mainly) but not well with blue collar white Dems in industrial states.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 04:45:10 PM »

Obama seems to do well with whites in Plains and Rocky Mt states (white collar workers mainly) but not well with blue collar white Dems in industrial states.

True (at least so far) Obama does better with more educated white voters (regardless of those voters being self identified liberal, conservative or moderate), that combined with the afro-american support isnt a bad base although he needs to work to expand it (and there is every sign that he can - Iowa alone is proof of that).
NHPolitico

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 04:46:41 PM »

I'm not black so I don't have a good read on whether this will affect general election voter turnout by blacks should she be nominated. I'm guessing it will reduce it. Is it young blacks who are siding with Obama and older blacks more likely to like Hillary? Hillary probably does well with black single moms, too.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 05:03:21 PM »

No, unless she's just done altogether.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 05:08:23 PM »

No. Her and Bill have been popular with African-Americans for years, and I don't see how a querall with Obama is going to change that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 05:18:32 PM »

Depends how you look at things. It's now pretty clear that most black Democrats will vote for Obama (though it will be interesting to see if a division emerges between blacks in Northern ghettoes and blacks in the rural South; I suspect that the former will be much stronger for Obama than the latter, though he should now lead with both), so from that point of view, yes, Clinton's done with blacks.

But there's been no real indication that blacks are likely to vote monolithically for Obama; unless that happens, Clinton will retain a significant minority vote amongst blacks.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 05:25:18 PM »

No. She can always send the first Black President to win over AA voters.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies