it is now official (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:10:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  it is now official (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: it is now official  (Read 2680 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: January 16, 2008, 06:26:43 PM »

So why wasn't the avatar switched?

If Mitt Romney wins the GOP nomination, I will certainly be changing my registration as well.

You know I have great respect for you but changing your registration because someone you don't like won the nomination is silly. You either think you belong in this party or you don't. One primary shouldn't decide.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:13:32 PM »

If Mitt Romney wins the GOP nomination, I will certainly be changing my registration as well.

You know I have great respect for you but changing your registration because someone you don't like won the nomination is silly. You either think you belong in this party or you don't. One primary shouldn't decide.

It wouldn't just be one primary that decides it; it would be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Then, I'm sorry, but if you really think that's the case, you ought to be gone by now. I'm not saying I want you to leave because I think you're fine as a moderate Republican but primary elections (in other states, no less) shouldn't determine your party registration.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 10:15:33 PM »

So why wasn't the avatar switched?

The people a party votes for is roughly indicative of where the minds of that party's members are at.  It wouldn't just be reacting to the nominee, but rather the statement that he perceives the nominee making about the party.

Ok but it's sad that it would take someone's victory in a primary to show someone where his party is headed. I still don't accept leaving one's party because of a difference over the nominee. What if Romney is the nominee after somehow winning Nevada and South Carolina with all the other candidates leaving the race? Is it right to let the decisions of voters in those two states and Michigan speak for the Republican electorate around the country? And even if it does, you're going to leave just because the party screwed up this one primary?

Everyone knows that I will be very angry and disappointed if Romney wins this thing. But am I threatening to leave the party? My point is that if you are so close to leaving the party on ideological grounds then maybe you ought to just leave. Don't let a few primaries be what pushes you out. If you don't feel at home, find somewhere else to stay. Again, I don't want that to happen. I think Andrew is a good fit as a moderate Republican. However, sometimes that has to happen.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies