Could McCain, Obama, Or Clinton Make A "Quayle" Mistake?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:43:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Could McCain, Obama, Or Clinton Make A "Quayle" Mistake?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could McCain, Obama, Or Clinton Make A "Quayle" Mistake?  (Read 1093 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2008, 04:21:57 PM »

Would it be possible for McCain, Obama, or Clinton, as the nominee, to make a "Quayle" mistake in the selection of their running mate?

Please discuss.
Eleden
oaksmarts

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 04:25:12 PM »

Would it be possible for McCain, Obama, or Clinton, as the nominee, to make a "Quayle" mistake in the selection of their running mate?

Please discuss.

Clinton's Biggest Mistake

Selecting another woman.... or choosing Bill Clinton Smiley

Obama's Biggest Mistake

Selecting Hillary

McCain's Biggest Mistake

Selecting a moderate governor/senator.  He needs a conservative or he's going to get a ton of flak from GOP base.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »

Huckabee = Quayle
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 04:31:44 PM »

Yes, if McCain chooses Huckabee or anyone directly connected with the Bush administration (i.e. Condaleeza Rice). 
8 out of 11 is not deserved
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 04:34:14 PM »

Other than Sanford, can you tell me who the conservatives would accept?  I'm serious with this question.  Seems like the conservatives don't have a candidate they can all agree on.  So I think he alienates conservatives anyway he goes other than Sanford

Obama should not select another woman like the Gov from Kansas.  He should select somebody strong on Foreign Policy matters.  I like Obama/Biden

Hillary...don't care who she picks.  I will not vote for her under any conditions

pollwatch99-b

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 04:38:33 PM »

Actually thinking about this some more.

Qualye would make the conservatives happy.  Sad but true ....
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 04:40:13 PM »

not likely.

i remember being very disappointed when dole picked kemp.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 05:39:21 PM »

Actually anyone asssociated with the Bush administration may help a bit with the conservatives.  Rice would.

A lot depends on who the Democrats nominate.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 05:42:44 PM »

Actually anyone asssociated with the Bush administration may help a bit with the conservatives.  Rice would.

With the job approval ratings that President Bush has, I doubt it.  A good mainstream conservative, establishment governor would help out more.
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 05:44:28 PM »

names folks....

when you run the list, very few have conservative appeal.

the conservatives have gotten extreme
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 06:33:22 PM »

she (or any other major bush administration figure) would hurt McCain far more than they would help him. The American people, including a good number of conservatives, view the Bush presidency as a failure and want to be done with it. Not to mention the damage it would do by destroying years of carefully-built-up good will among independents and moderate democrats.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 06:38:18 PM »

Exactly.  Except Quayle was a tiny shade smarter.  (Not that this is saying much...)

But Republicans should not worry.  There are LOTS of competent, intelligent and capable people McCain can choose.  And I am pretty sure he will.  In fact, the only mistake I think he might make in this regard is the Huckster.  But I'm betting on Sanford, Owens or Crist -- all of whom are sharp guys.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 06:46:18 PM »

Other than Sanford, can you tell me who the conservatives would accept?  I'm serious with this question.  Seems like the conservatives don't have a candidate they can all agree on.  So I think he alienates conservatives anyway he goes other than Sanford

John Thune, Tom Coburn, Mike Pence, the aforementioned Sanford, a former governor like Frank Keating or Tommy Thompson, Duncan Hunter -- there are lots of conservatives McCain could choose who would not upset the far right.  But if you mean there are few who would excite the right without offending or scaring the center, you're absolutely right. I think Pence and Sanford would be his wisest choices, purely from a "winning in November" standpoint.  I honestly don't know if Pawlenty is sufficiently conservative enough to appease the far right.  This will be tricky for McCain, because if he tries too hard to enthrall the right -- particularly the religious right -- he will scare away the moderates and independents who might otherwise vote for him.  His age WILL be an issue in this regard, at least.

Obama should not select another woman like the Gov from Kansas.  He should select somebody strong on Foreign Policy matters.  I like Obama/Biden

Thank you.  I have been saying that, too.  It's not that I don't recognize people like Sebelius as rising stars, but independents and moderate Republicans who might cross over in November will be skittish without a foreign policy and/or military wonk on the ticket.
Hillary...don't care who she picks.  I will not vote for her under any conditions

MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 06:49:48 PM »

McCain has eight months to make the right (pun intended) pick.  If he fails after all that time and the help of leading Republican strategists, he'll be doomed as a President.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 06:50:49 PM »

I don't know a conservative that would run with McCain, honestly. I am thinking it will be Giuliani, but who knows. I am from SC, and I don't think Sanford wants to run for VP. He seems far too happy where he is.

On the other hand, my step mother is very good friends with Brooke Burr, the wife of Senator Burr of North Carolina, a big McCain supporter and conservative. She has gone from saying flat out that Burr will not be McCain's running mate to somewhat saying no. He may be a dark horse.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 07:05:28 PM »

I don't know a conservative that would run with McCain, honestly. I am thinking it will be Giuliani, but who knows. I am from SC, and I don't think Sanford wants to run for VP. He seems far too happy where he is.

On the other hand, my step mother is very good friends with Brooke Burr, the wife of Senator Burr of North Carolina, a big McCain supporter and conservative. She has gone from saying flat out that Burr will not be McCain's running mate to somewhat saying no. He may be a dark horse.

Pence would desperately like to be McCain's running mate.  He's been told for 20 years that he's Presidential material -- since his days as a conservative talk radio host in Indiana.  Win or lose in 2008, McCain's Veep pick will be a frontrunner in 2012/2016. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Sanford didn't want the job.  He just seems like too nice a guy to be about climbing the ladder.  But nice guys have been VP's and Presidents before, so you never know. Sanford may be my favorite conservative currently -- and I don't like many of 'em.   ;-)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 07:53:45 PM »

Sanford, or some other solid Southern conservative, would be the best pick against Clinton. But not against Obama.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies