Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2014, 08:08:49 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP?  (Read 6940 times)
Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2008, 12:50:20 pm »
Ignore

Looks like it's not happening this time either.  In fact, I guess this would be the first presidential election since 1972 in which neither ticket includes a southerner....assuming you don't count Maryland (or Delaware, since, as Joe Biden reminds us, it "was a slave state").

Actually, if you *do* count Maryland as the South, but not Delaware, then this is the first election without a southerner on either ticket since....what?  1944?

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 01:00:45 pm »
Ignore

Looks like it's not happening this time either.  In fact, I guess this would be the first presidential election since 1972 in which neither ticket includes a southerner....assuming you don't count Maryland (or Delaware, since, as Joe Biden reminds us, it "was a slave state").

Actually, if you *do* count Maryland as the South, but not Delaware, then this is the first election without a southerner on either ticket since....what?  1944?

I'd say 1940, because by that logic, Missouri is just as much a Southern state as Delaware or Maryland.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 02:53:02 am »
Ignore

*bump*

Didn't happen in 2012 either.  Another GOP ticket with two Yankees.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 07:29:18 am »
Ignore

*bump*

Didn't happen in 2012 either.  Another GOP ticket with two Yankees.

It's sort of nice that "Yankee" may be used not only in the original sense of New England WASP and the modern internationally accepted sense of American Citizen - that there are also a number of hazily-defined intermediate usages that have their historical reasons. It renders so many sentences featuring the term lovely, meaningless and postmodern.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Burkina Faso

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 09:45:43 am »
Ignore

Andrew Johnson (Democrat, but he was on a Republican ticket)

RIP Mechaman
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2012, 05:08:48 pm »
Ignore

Fremont was born in Georgia, if birth states count.
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2012, 06:01:00 pm »

Andrew Johnson (Democrat, but he was on a Republican ticket)

1864 was the Union Party, not the Republican Party.  Also the epithet GOP dates to 1884.

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. ó Khaled Hosseini
nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2012, 06:29:13 pm »
Ignore

Interesting that it hasn't happened. Perhaps such states went from solidly Democratic to the base of the GOP, making it unnecessary to pander to them. Texans (I believe) were all from big political families.

BTW, this is the first GOP ticket of 2 non-Protestants since when?

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 06:41:06 pm »
Ignore

BTW, this is the first GOP ticket of 2 non-Protestants since when?

Never. 

If you say Maryland is southern, you had Agnew in 1968 and 1972.  It was far more of a "southern" state at that time.

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 06:42:30 pm »
Ignore

I don't consider Arizona 'the South', so 2008 didn't have any Southerners either.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 12:19:10 am »
Ignore

I don't consider Arizona 'the South', so 2008 didn't have any Southerners either.

I wrote that in 2008, so "this election" obviously referred to the 2008 election.

BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 12:53:49 am »
Ignore

Is Indiana the South?

No, but it acts like it is part of it

"Weezy F Baby and the F is for Phenomenal" - Lil' Wayne

"Look at this photograph/Every time I do it makes me laugh/How did our eyes get so red?/And what the hell is on Joey's head?" - Nickelback
#WhereWasBill
solarstorm2012
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 06:51:23 pm »
Ignore

The correct answer is: Spiro Agnew.

Snowstalker
YaBB God
Burkina Faso

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 06:58:27 pm »
Ignore

Maryland is barely Southern.

Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2012, 01:04:03 am »
Ignore

I wrote that in 2008, so "this election" obviously referred to the 2008 election.

Oh! Sorry, I didn't see that. Tough with resurrected threads sometimes.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012, 06:36:14 pm »
Ignore

Maybe Agnew, but I don't think so from the former Confederacy.
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2012, 12:29:35 am »

Maybe Agnew, but I don't think so from the former Confederacy.

If the South had won the war, instead of a West Virginia, there might well have been a division of Maryland, with the Eastern Shore joining the Confederacy as East Maryland.  Indeed, there had been proposals before the Civil War to have the Eastern and Western Shores become separate states or have the Eastern Shores of Maryland and Virginia join Delaware as a single State encompassing the whole Delmarva Peninsula (tho not by that name as it didn't come into use until the early 20th century.

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. ó Khaled Hosseini
後援会
koenkai
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2012, 11:36:08 pm »
Ignore

What the heck is a non-Texan Southerner? Is that like a non-Alabaman Yankee?

The opinions and views expressed above are mine alone and do not represent the opinions or views of any other individual, organization, or government.
Holmes
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2012, 01:00:41 pm »
Ignore

What the heck is a non-Texan Southerner? Is that like a non-Alabaman Yankee?

It's someone from a southern state other than Texas. Reading comprehension! Smiley

後援会
koenkai
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -2.52

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2012, 01:02:22 pm »
Ignore

I don't know where people get this idea that Texas is somehow a Southern state.

The opinions and views expressed above are mine alone and do not represent the opinions or views of any other individual, organization, or government.
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2012, 01:07:28 pm »
Ignore

It depends on the part of Texas. East Texas from Texarkana down through Tyler and Marshall to Port Arthur and Beaumont, for instance, is obviously Southern culturally, whereas Midland and Odessa and Lubbock are about as Western as you can get.

Those Texas Republicans who have been nominated for Vice President and President, however, have not been associated with the parts of Texas that most people would consider Southern, unless you count the part of Houston that H.W. represented in the House.

I wouldn't consider the part of Maryland that Spiro Agnew was from remotely Southern either.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 01:09:57 pm by Nathan »Logged

Pope Callixtus IV
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2012, 02:18:24 pm »
Ignore

As a part of the Confederacy, Texas fits very vell into "Southern states" category. If only historically.
Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2012, 04:03:16 pm »
Ignore

No, but Democrats have nominated many, as well as a few Southerners from Texas.

Quote from: Dwight D. Eisenhower
There is nothing wrong with America that the faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.
RIP Mechaman
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2012, 03:20:29 am »
Ignore

Does the GOP have relevent non-Texan southerners to nominate?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout