Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:07:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP?  (Read 12610 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: January 17, 2008, 09:31:12 PM »

In theory, Agnew (MD).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:15:12 PM »

Let's see...

Dole?  Nope -- that's Kansas.

Agnew?  Nah -- too much of a stretch to say Maryland is "South", even though it was a slave state.

I think you're right.

You are kinda limiting the "South."  By most definitions, Texas was part of the "South" and, at lest until 1950 or so, Maryland would be as well.  It was a slave state that was segregated until the 1950's.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 05:25:39 PM »

Depends on if you mean geographically or culturally.  In terms of culture... pretty much, if you don't count Gary and South Bend.

I think that is the key.

If I'm going by was slavery legal there in 1860, Maryland is a southern state.  If I'm going by segregation in 1950, Maryland is a southern state.

If I'm going by if country music is really popular and agriculture is big, Maryland is a northern state and Indiana is a southern state.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 03:04:06 PM »

Huh? What's agriculture got to do with the South? The states where agriculture is biggest are as a rule midwestern, not southern.
The best identifying mark of the south is an at least formerly large rural Black population.

Traditionally, the South was agricultural, probably at least until 1960.  Further, it wasn't mechanized until after WWII, at least at the same rate as the midwest.

You really didn't see a highly urbanized Black population until well after WWII.  You had pockets, but most of my neighbors had fathers or grandfathers that "came up" from the south, generally after WWII.

It's the untold story in white America.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 06:41:06 PM »

BTW, this is the first GOP ticket of 2 non-Protestants since when?

Never. 

If you say Maryland is southern, you had Agnew in 1968 and 1972.  It was far more of a "southern" state at that time.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies