Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:42:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP?  (Read 12556 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: January 18, 2008, 07:44:48 AM »

Meh, I don't really consider Maryland to be part of the South.  Texas certainly is the South.  I was just wondering if there were any examples outside of Texas.

And the answer is, "only if you count Agnew".
Maryland is the South, historically. Maryland still is the South, in more ways than not.
Agnew, Baltimore city operator and second-generation Greek immigrant, was certainly not a Southern Politician by any stretch of the imagination, though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 08:26:47 AM »

No.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 08:57:15 AM »

Ah, okay. I think I got your point now. Smiley Your point is that you don't understand Maryland all that well. Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 06:04:14 AM »

Well, in 1864 the Republican party called itself (for that election), the Union party, and nominated Andrew Johnson (Tennessee) for Vice-President.
Oh yes. Funny how no one (including me)
thought of pointing him out. Might I also add, Abraham Lincoln was originally from Kentucky.

Depends on if you mean geographically or culturally.  In terms of culture... pretty much, if you don't count Gary and South Bend.

I think that is the key.

If I'm going by was slavery legal there in 1860, Maryland is a southern state.  If I'm going by segregation in 1950, Maryland is a southern state.

If I'm going by if country music is really popular and agriculture is big, Maryland is a northern state and Indiana is a southern state.
Huh? What's agriculture got to do with the South? The states where agriculture is biggest are as a rule midwestern, not southern.
The best identifying mark of the south is an at least formerly large rural Black population.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 02:38:47 PM »

Who reads first posts?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 03:06:35 PM »

Huh? What's agriculture got to do with the South? The states where agriculture is biggest are as a rule midwestern, not southern.
The best identifying mark of the south is an at least formerly large rural Black population.

Traditionally, the South was agricultural, probably at least until 1960.  Further, it wasn't mechanized until after WWII, at least at the same rate as the midwest.
Yes, of course. I was talking about current rates of agricultural employment, though.
And re Blacks - with only a handful of exceptions, Blacks in the North are and always have been overwhelmingly urban. Blacks in the South, not much more so (and until 50 years ago, considerably less so) than Whites.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 07:29:18 AM »

*bump*

Didn't happen in 2012 either.  Another GOP ticket with two Yankees.

It's sort of nice that "Yankee" may be used not only in the original sense of New England WASP and the modern internationally accepted sense of American Citizen - that there are also a number of hazily-defined intermediate usages that have their historical reasons. It renders so many sentences featuring the term lovely, meaningless and postmodern.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies