Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:39:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has the GOP ever nominated a non-Texan Southerner for either prez or VP?  (Read 12607 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: August 11, 2012, 06:42:30 PM »

Looks like it's not happening this time either.  In fact, I guess this would be the first presidential election since 1972 in which neither ticket includes a southerner....assuming you don't count Maryland (or Delaware, since, as Joe Biden reminds us, it "was a slave state").

Actually, if you *do* count Maryland as the South, but not Delaware, then this is the first election without a southerner on either ticket since....what?  1944?

I don't consider Arizona 'the South', so 2008 didn't have any Southerners either.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 01:04:03 AM »

Looks like it's not happening this time either.  In fact, I guess this would be the first presidential election since 1972 in which neither ticket includes a southerner....assuming you don't count Maryland (or Delaware, since, as Joe Biden reminds us, it "was a slave state").

Actually, if you *do* count Maryland as the South, but not Delaware, then this is the first election without a southerner on either ticket since....what?  1944?

I don't consider Arizona 'the South', so 2008 didn't have any Southerners either.

I wrote that in 2008, so "this election" obviously referred to the 2008 election.

Oh! Sorry, I didn't see that. Tough with resurrected threads sometimes.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2012, 01:09:57 PM by Nathan »

It depends on the part of Texas. East Texas from Texarkana down through Tyler and Marshall to Port Arthur and Beaumont, for instance, is obviously Southern culturally, whereas Midland and Odessa and Lubbock are about as Western as you can get.

Those Texas Republicans who have been nominated for Vice President and President, however, have not been associated with the parts of Texas that most people would consider Southern, unless you count the part of Houston that H.W. represented in the House.

I wouldn't consider the part of Maryland that Spiro Agnew was from remotely Southern either.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies