Israel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:23:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21
Author Topic: Israel  (Read 71454 times)
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: July 02, 2008, 07:47:40 AM »

Have you heard of a little something called de-nazification?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #276 on: July 02, 2008, 07:51:17 AM »

..and The Great War ended all future wars.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #277 on: July 02, 2008, 08:01:36 AM »

There is a disconnect why Jews got their homeland in palestine even though the genocide against them was conducted in Europe. I understand it was written in the bible and that Jews did live there a millenia ago, but is that really enough? The true reason is that the palestinians were powerless to stop the Zionists and it was because they had no true representation in 1948. It was unfair what was done to the palestinians in 1948 and the Zionists were not entitled to a single square inch of land. In a fair world a part of Germany/Poland would have been carved out for a Jewish homeland, but this world is not fair is it?

This times 100. Carving out a jewish state in the Rhineland would have been perfectly acceptable to me(Germans did try to kill them all so they do need to pay for their crimes) but not one in Palestine.

Do you actually have any idea how much Germany has paid for its crimes over the decades?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #278 on: July 02, 2008, 10:25:02 AM »

There is a disconnect why Jews got their homeland in palestine even though the genocide against them was conducted in Europe. I understand it was written in the bible and that Jews did live there a millenia ago, but is that really enough? The true reason is that the palestinians were powerless to stop the Zionists and it was because they had no true representation in 1948. It was unfair what was done to the palestinians in 1948 and the Zionists were not entitled to a single square inch of land. In a fair world a part of Germany/Poland would have been carved out for a Jewish homeland, but this world is not fair is it?

This times 100. Carving out a jewish state in the Rhineland would have been perfectly acceptable to me(Germans did try to kill them all so they do need to pay for their crimes) but not one in Palestine.
Genius!  Lets put all the Jews in the backyard of the people that just got finished trying to kill them all.  And right next door to the newest super power that was at the time, killing millions more Jews!  I'm guessing Jews in 1946 wanted to get pretty far away from Germans and Russians.  Their sparsly populated and technologically backward homeland was a much better option, to them, at the time.  You can argue against them moving back there, but arguing that it would have made more sense for them to stay in Germany is flat out retarded.

..and I'm German(-American).

A country could have been created out of Germany just like it was out of Palestine. Land is land. In retrospect dont you think Israel would have been better of next to a sane German republic? I guess you can also make the argument that anti-semitism would have been much much higher in Europe, similar to how it is in the middle east currently.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #279 on: July 02, 2008, 10:57:19 AM »

I'm not saying it couldn't have been created out of Germany, I'm saying that it would be stupid to create in the back yard of the people that just got finished rounding you all up for easy killing.  Using hindsight, sure it might seem like the Jews would have been safer surrounded by sane, modern, western Germans instead of, well, a less sane and modern people, but they didn't get to use hindsight.  Germans didn't seem particularly sane to the Jews at the time anyway.  And it's not like the rest of Europe was Jew friendly.  If you're going to be surrounded by people that hate you, you might as well do it in your homeland, surrounded by people stuck in the 11th Century than in the middle of bunch of different modern nations with large Armies.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #280 on: July 02, 2008, 01:27:32 PM »

I'm not saying it couldn't have been created out of Germany, I'm saying that it would be stupid to create in the back yard of the people that just got finished rounding you all up for easy killing.  Using hindsight, sure it might seem like the Jews would have been safer surrounded by sane, modern, western Germans instead of, well, a less sane and modern people, but they didn't get to use hindsight.  Germans didn't seem particularly sane to the Jews at the time anyway.  And it's not like the rest of Europe was Jew friendly.  If you're going to be surrounded by people that hate you, you might as well do it in your homeland, surrounded by people stuck in the 11th Century than in the middle of bunch of different modern nations with large Armies.

You really do take a dim view of Arabs don't you?

How are you defining 'modern' here?
Tory

« Reply #281 on: July 02, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »

Do you know how Israel treats Jewish converts to Christianity?
Better than how Saudis treat Islam coverts to Judaism?

Answer: There aren't any.
Any guesses as to why?

Because Judaism doesn't encourage conversion.

This is true, it takes something like seven years to convert as I recall.

It depends. Non-Orthodox conversions take about a year, maybe two, usually. Orthodox conversions done outside of Israel generally take two years to perhaps 3 or 4 if bureaucracy gets in the way. Within Israel all conversions are done through the state(Ministry of Immigration and The Chief Rabbinate) and take about 8 months. They are considered Orthodox, which is the only kind of conversion that Israel accepts for purposes of marriage, burial, official recognition by the chief rabbinate, etc etc. You can technically move to Israel and gain citizenship through having converted with a Progressive Jewish movement(Reform or Conservative), however you won't be able to marry or be recognized as a Jew by the religious establishment.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #282 on: July 02, 2008, 02:23:05 PM »

Weimar Era germany was unstable and lacked strong democratic institutions. Present day germany has democratic institutions. Not really comparable.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #283 on: July 02, 2008, 03:53:13 PM »

Weimar Era germany was unstable and lacked strong democratic institutions. Present day germany has democratic institutions. Not really comparable.
They had fairly strong democratic institutions, it is just that much of the populace was pissed off at the government for following Versailles. The Social Democrats were the largest party until 1933, when the Nazis were elected.
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari

Political Matrix

« Reply #284 on: July 02, 2008, 03:56:18 PM »

The lack of safeguards let the nazis get absolute power so..
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #285 on: July 02, 2008, 07:12:11 PM »

And the Jews knew there were going to be "safeguards" in 1947?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #286 on: July 02, 2008, 09:19:28 PM »

Palestinian goes on rampage in Jerusalem; 3 killed

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #287 on: July 03, 2008, 06:08:27 AM »

Just let them all kill each other....then the problem's gone.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #288 on: July 03, 2008, 07:23:21 AM »

But they wouldn't kill each other, one side would win and one side would lose, they've tried that before with mixed results.  Wait, that is great idea!  But let's actually declare a winner when they fight next time, make the losers leave.  Maybe a new homeland for the loser in Germany?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #289 on: July 03, 2008, 07:51:08 AM »

But they wouldn't kill each other, one side would win and one side would lose, they've tried that before with mixed results.  Wait, that is great idea!  But let's actually declare a winner when they fight next time, make the losers leave.  Maybe a new homeland for the loser in Germany?

They can have Saxony. Actually, I'd be happy to give them entire East Germany, under one condition. The wall must be built again.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #290 on: July 03, 2008, 06:16:32 PM »

Deal.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #291 on: July 03, 2008, 10:08:35 PM »

It would be nice to be that simple, however, the side that won would them find a new group of people to hate.  The Middle East is exactly a place where rational thoughts and civiled government exists
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #292 on: July 03, 2008, 11:55:11 PM »

While one cannot equate property and life, one wonders if the bulldozer incident will make the Zionists less likely to bulldoze Palestinian property as part of their land grabbing in the West Bank.  Doubtful, but one can always hope.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #293 on: July 04, 2008, 03:13:14 AM »

It would be nice to be that simple, however, the side that won would them find a new group of people to hate.  

Possible.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #294 on: July 20, 2008, 12:55:21 AM »

link

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm not sure of the logic behind releasing a brutal murderer for a couple of dead bodies, but I know I wouldn't want to be on the side of people who would put the same brutal murderer in military garb and parade him around an arena as if he was a war hero.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #295 on: July 20, 2008, 01:00:08 AM »

Why exactly did Israel do this?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #296 on: July 20, 2008, 01:01:25 AM »

The old "leave no man behind" creed I'd imagine.  Like with most things, when taken to the extreme it can get kind of silly.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #297 on: July 20, 2008, 01:05:24 AM »

The old "leave no man behind" creed I'd imagine.  Like with most things, when taken to the extreme it can get kind of silly.

So it can. Like when you let out a dangerous murderer 524 years early.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #298 on: July 20, 2008, 06:56:44 AM »

Olmert needs successes at the moment. Failing that he needs things that look like they might be.

Here's a list of reasons why...

Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #299 on: July 20, 2008, 09:32:27 AM »

I can only assume Olmert has incriminating material against every kadima and labour MP, because there's no way someone like him should have held the job of PM for more than a week.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies