Israel (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:01:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Israel  (Read 71487 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: January 19, 2008, 02:51:23 PM »

Not as bad as the troubles they had when they didn't control the Golan.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 05:19:01 PM »

What about it?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 09:34:47 PM »

They don't have posession of the Gaza Strip
You must be logged in to read this quote.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 12:12:01 AM »

They were probably hoping for a little less terrorism in their own lands.  The whole "if we fight them 'over there' we won't have to fight them here" meme you hear from the Right in this country.  Except the "over there" in Israel is in their backyard.  Whether it worked or not is debatable I guess.  Since Israel has left Gaza, has attacks increased or decreased coming out of the Strip?

Why do you think Israel was there and in the Golan to this day?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 08:54:58 PM »

To be honest, I can't think of a good reason, it's just the far-right pushing their imperialist goals.
And what has made you come to that conclusion?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 09:39:33 PM »

In fact, that brings up an interesting question: why would anyone want to move to Israel?
Because they know they won't be persecuted there in the future (assuming we allow them opportunity to hold on long enough).  Like the Roma(Gypsies), the Irish, Ukrainians, Kurds, etc, they just want a place to call there own where they know they can go when/if the persecutions start again.  A home land to live in, love, and defend.  Some groups have been successful(Ukrainians, Georgians), some sort of (Irish, Jews) and some are still looking for the brass ring(Kurds, Roma).  You can disagree with the Nationalistic nature of it, but that's not going to stop them from existing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 09:41:21 PM »

To be honest, I can't think of a good reason, it's just the far-right pushing their imperialist goals.
And what has made you come to that conclusion?

The boundaries of Isreal are nowhere near where they were originally supposed to be.

As Tory said that could mean anything. The original Zionists actually wanted a state which would iirc stretch as far as the Euphrates - In modern day Iraq.

Why? Jews are no longer persecuted anywhere in the West.

In fact, that brings up an interesting question: why would anyone want to move to Israel?

We are talking about the Early Zionists here. And the area stretching from the Euphrates is the historic "Abrahamic" Israel or Canaan iirc. Abraham coming from Ur in Mesopotamia itself iirc.
Nobody (in any position of power) is calling for that today though.  On the other hand, there are still world leaders calling for the destruction of the state of Israel.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 04:37:33 AM »

sorry.

they have to accept the facts.

great britain won't get the usa back.

germany won't get the lost territories in eastern europe back.

france won't get louisiana back.

spain won't get floridas back.

spain won't get the netherlands back.

and (surprise)

the arabs won't get jerusalem or any other piece of israel back.

While I don't like the use of the Holocaust to justify the State of Israel, Israel is a necessary country in the proper place.  If the Arabs would stop attacking, a peace settlement could be reached.  However, the Arabs refuse to have peace.  When the leaders of bordering countries are calling for your extermination, you need to be always prepared.
I'd like Xahar to comment on these two points.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 09:35:29 AM »

If all Jews moved back inside the green line, do you think the attacks against Israel would stop?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 04:10:38 PM »

You should just randomly fire rockets at their front door.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:43:18 AM »

No sh**t!  Nobody irrationally hates the Jews like Arabs do.  You're right Xahar, the Jews shouldn't have moved from one group of monsters to a BIGGER group of monsters.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 12:02:46 AM »

Odd, they did this last week on the 8th.  What's going on here?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 06:14:55 AM »

Wow... and here I thought that would make the debate devolve into some kinda Buckley/Vidal shouting match that ended in you calling my a crypto fascists and me calling you a queer.
We're getting there!  I predict page 11.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 12:15:51 AM »

If a bunch of Arabs claimed Illinois as their personal territory, they'd have no right to defend themselves.
If they managed to hold onto it for several generations, then yeah, eventually the surrounding states would be retarded to continue getting their asses kicked.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 08:50:22 PM »

Subtle.  I like it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 02:35:02 PM »

Do you know how Israel treats Jewish converts to Christianity?
Better than how Saudis treat Islam coverts to Judaism?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 02:37:03 PM »

One man.  One vote.  One time.  It just takes one election to kill a democracy.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 02:38:40 PM »

Answer: There aren't any.
Any guesses as to why?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 02:39:08 PM »

One man.  One vote.  One time.  It just takes one election to kill a democracy.

And I doubt the Arabs will muster more voters than Jews in Israel.
That's their (the Arabs) goal.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 02:50:21 PM »

Answer: There aren't any.
Any guesses as to why?

Because Judaism doesn't encourage conversion.
hehe, you get my point though.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 05:14:45 PM »

If there is one thing we've learned it's that this will never stop until all the Jews are gone.  If every Jew left every settlement in the West Bank would anybody be shocked if two days later rockets started flying out of there?  Would anybody be shocked if the anti-Zionists around here defended the rocket attacks?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 02:37:24 PM »

I hope those comments aren't directed at me dead0man.
You'd know better than I if those comments were directed at you. 

(I wasn't thinking of you when I wrote it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't apply)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 10:50:29 PM »

If there is one thing we've learned it's that this will never stop until all the Jews are gone.  If every Jew left every settlement in the West Bank would anybody be shocked if two days later rockets started flying out of there?  Would anybody be shocked if the anti-Zionists around here defended the rocket attacks?
Don't be ridiculous. Would anyone here be surprised if Israel attacked Iran tommorow and all of the Zionists here defended Israel?
If Iran gave up land first (or some other card they had in their hand) and then Israel attacked, no, I wouldn't defend them.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 10:02:54 AM »

I don't think anybody has denied that Israel did some funked up things early on.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »

Unwilling to negotiate? I would say it was rather hard for the Palestinians to negotiate at all given that the British had dismantled both the Higher Arab Committee and the Supreme Muslim Council in 1936, leaving Palestinian Arabs lacking in effective and united leadership. So who represents the Palestinian cause? The Arab League whose member states were facing mounting domestic unrest and in many cases had an intrinsic interest in there not being a viable Palestinian state: for instance Abdullah of Jordan's involvement in the 1948 war was primarily a bid to control the Palestinian part of the partition, rather than any meaningful attempt at establishing an independent Palestinian state as the Israeli historian Avi Shlaim has shown in his work on the 1948 war (I'll be happy to give a reference if you want).
Even here though, Israel is far from the only "bad guy".  You'd think the Pali's would be really pissed at their own brothers for turning on them.  You'd expect Jews and Arabs not get along, but Arabs and Arabs?  Why is the state of Israel the one that takes all the sh**t when there are obviously more guilty parties involved?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies