Will the Dow drop below 10,578.24 before Bush's term ends? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:28:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will the Dow drop below 10,578.24 before Bush's term ends? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will the Dow drop below 10,578.24 before Bush's term ends?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Will the Dow drop below 10,578.24 before Bush's term ends?  (Read 3098 times)
David S
Junior Chimp

« on: January 21, 2008, 07:23:46 PM »

Some folks say were headed to a financial "perfect storm". I would say its the result of the following:

-Systematic destruction of US manufacturing resulting from free trade deals signed by Bill Clinton and endorsed by Al Gore.

-Collapsing US dollar which was caused by continuous government deficit spending and government creating money out of nothing.

-Burst of the stock bubble in 2000, followed by burst of the housing bubble and now the mortgage bubble. Now there are no more bubbles... just broken bubbles to be cleaned up.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 08:50:53 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2008, 08:56:53 PM by David S »

Some folks say were headed to a financial "perfect storm". I would say its the result of the following:

-Systematic destruction of US manufacturing resulting from free trade deals signed by Bill Clinton and endorsed by Al Gore.

-Collapsing US dollar which was caused by continuous government deficit spending and government creating money out of nothing.

-Burst of the stock bubble in 2000, followed by burst of the housing bubble and now the mortgage bubble. Now there are no more bubbles... just broken bubbles to be cleaned up.

Ummm... I thought you were in favor of fair trade and now you are bashing Clinton for being too conservative?

...and there are still bubbles. We still have the trade deficit and the feds still owe a quarter of the entire earth GDP in year to foreign banks.

Free trade is the one issue on which I part company with most libertarians. In that respect I consider myself a constitutionalist. The constitution clearly gives congress the authority to levy taxes on imports. I know people will say that's protectionism, oh horrors. Well I say what we have now is reverse protectionism. Domestic manufacturers pay payroll taxes, property taxes and income taxes to the feds and the states. In short they are taxed out of their shorts. But foreign made goods get a free ride- no taxes. How is that fair?

I would eliminate the corporate income tax and levy import taxes at a rate sufficient to be revenue neutral.

I certainly agree that the deficit and the debt are huge problems but I don't think they  meet the definition of "bubbles".
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 08:59:17 PM »

I really would not be too surprised if it went below that by the close of business tomorrow.

That's a scary thought... although its certainly possible.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies