what if romney is the nominee?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:29:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  what if romney is the nominee?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: what if romney is the nominee?  (Read 4972 times)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2008, 11:53:16 AM »
« edited: January 18, 2008, 12:17:39 PM by Evilmexicandictator »

If states like Missouri and Ohio didn't vote for liberals like Mondale, Dukakis, and John Kerry, what on earth makes people think they will go for the female and/or black versions of them?   Seriously, I think the Democratic Party has lost its goddam mind.   LOL   

Hillary/Obama againt Romney = Romney victory.
No . We are in a Anti-Republican era, in the middle of a reccession and an unpopular war. People determine the elections, not the candidates and considering how much people hate Arch-Conservative Republicans, compared to Centrist Liberal Democrats, we will have the election sown up, if Obama or Clinton goes up against Huckabee, or Romney.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2008, 12:14:18 PM »

If states like Missouri and Ohio didn't vote for liberals like Mondale, Dukakis, and John Kerry, what on earth makes people think they will go for the female and/or black versions of them?   Seriously, I think the Democratic Party has lost its goddam mind.   LOL   

Hillary/Obama againt Romney = Romney victory.
No you are a frickin retard. We are in a Anti-Republican era, in the middle of a reccession and an unpopular war. People determine the elections, not the candidates and considering how much people hate Arch-Conservative Republicans, compared to Centrist Liberal Democrats, we will have the election sown up, if Obama or Clinton goes up against Huckabee, or Romney.

I agree...but with less cursing Tongue
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 12:17:19 PM »

Somewhere between "bad" and the end of the Republican Party
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 12:35:43 PM »

Somewhere between "bad" and the end of the Republican Party
Nah. The Republican Party wouldn't die that easily.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2008, 12:39:04 PM »

I'm not even convinced that the Dems would win.
Nice one.
Anyway Clinton-Romney 55-44,Obama-Romney 59-40.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2008, 12:39:57 PM »

Nice one.

Nice one. Obama. 59%. You people are priceless.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2008, 12:42:28 PM »

The only way we are going to see a republican in the white house is A. McCain gets the nomination....even then its iffy...and B. We find Osama Bin Laden in Iraq surrounded by WMD with tags on them that says TO: America, FROM: Us Terrorists....enjoy.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2008, 01:31:22 PM »

He ran a campaign similar to this before in a much more liberal setting and won against the odds.

Because he didn't have conservatism on his record and he was taking his first position on everything. Now he's a worse flip-flopper than the sandals in my backyard. (horrible diss)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2008, 02:19:01 PM »

Obama versus Romney, assuming Iraq is bad but not any worse...assuming the economy is about as is...and assuming no major gaffes or scandals in either camp...

I give Romney Missouri very reluctantly.  But likewise, I am hesitant to proclaim Obama the winner in the two Virginias.

Romney's Mormonism doesn't hurt him enough anywhere to make a big difference.  And it actually helps him enough to win in Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2008, 03:13:17 PM »

He ran a campaign similar to this before in a much more liberal setting and won against the odds.
Because he didn't have conservatism on his record and he was taking his first position on everything. Now he's a worse flip-flopper than the sandals in my backyard. (horrible diss)

Oh?  So who told you to think that?  Glen Johnson?  Really now, if you'd actually like to be taken seriously I'd suggest you examine Romney's record for yourself instead of blindly following the manipulative media.  You'll notice, if you are so inclined to judge the candidates fairly, that the "complete and total flip-flop" that the media will have you think Romney's campaign is, really is nothing close to that.  I have meticulously researched Romney's record from a number of viewpoints and have found one solitary position change.  Not to mention his "first positions" were actually taken in 1994 when he ran against Ted Kennedy.  So remember, the Romney the media has given us is nothing like the Romney that is running for President.

Guns? Health care?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2008, 04:04:28 PM »

Romney wouldn't do as poorly as you 1964 people seem to think...  it'd be more like Bob Dole than Barry Goldwater.  no Dem is going to approach 60%.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2008, 05:20:02 PM »

Nice one.

Nice one. Obama. 59%.
Unless Romney pulls out a Santorum-like comeback,that is.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2008, 05:56:40 PM »

Romney would lose to both Clinton and Obama.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2008, 06:25:14 PM »

Nice one.

Nice one. Obama. 59%.
Unless Romney pulls out a Santorum-like comeback,that is.

Roll Eyes
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2008, 07:18:34 PM »

I think Romney could potentially close fast at the end to make it a very close race.  We saw this happen in the MA governor's race in 2002. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2008, 10:04:51 PM »

Most of you, not all of you, but most of you, sound like Johnny One Notes, all singing from the same "Oh, I hate Mitt Romney" song sheet.

Please, get brains of your own, instead of mindlessly echoing the tripe you have read from the previous poster to yourself, while you are foolishly falling all over each other in a ridiculous display of who can out do who on how much they hate Romney.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2008, 10:10:34 PM »

Most of you, not all of you, but most of you, sound like Johnny One Notes, all singing from the same "Oh, I hate Mitt Romney" song sheet.

Please, get brains of your own, instead of mindlessly echoing the tripe you have read from the previous poster to yourself, while you are foolishly falling all over each other in a ridiculous display of who can out do who on how much they hate Romney.
Dude you really have gotten crazy, over your love over this man. We all base our maps off of polls, and demographics, not hatred. I really hate the guy, but so does 60% of the country. There is no way he will win.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2008, 10:13:08 PM »

Dude you really have gotten crazy, over your love over this man. We all base our maps off of polls, and demographics, not hatred. I really hate the guy, but so does 60% of the country. There is no way he will win.

I'm one of the biggest critics of Mitt and even I have to say that 60% of the country doesn't hate him. 60% of the voters don't even know him and when you base your maps of those polls so early, it's going to look ridiculous. A Romney win might not be likely but there certainly is a way for him to win.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2008, 10:28:32 PM »

I'm one of the biggest critics of Mitt and even I have to say that 60% of the country doesn't hate him. 60% of the voters don't even know him and when you base your maps of those polls so early, it's going to look ridiculous. A Romney win might not be likely but there certainly is a way for him to win.
Explain to me how Romney would win. He is a flippflopping, Mormon, big businessman, that is an Arch-Conservative. He has no way of winning because of the current atmosphere of the country, which will only grow more anti-Republican as 2008 goes on.(because of the Economy)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2008, 10:32:23 PM »

Explain to me how Romney would win. He is a flippflopping, Mormon, big businessman, that is an Arch-Conservative. He has no way of winning because of the current atmosphere of the country, which will only grow more anti-Republican as 2008 goes on.(because of the Economy)

Ok so the economy will be a major issue in 2008. You don't think people will look to Romney, the businessman, over someone with little experience (Obama is a perfect example)? Everything you listed about Romney is a liability. I totally agree. However, look at who he is running against. Hillary Clinton is not landslide material. Never has been and probably never will be. Obama is a lot of hype. He'd do well but having him win states like North and South Carolina, Kentucky, etc.? You people are being a little too confident when it comes to him. Again, I'm not saying Romney would win but there is certainly a chance considering who is running against.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2008, 11:08:48 PM »

"Explain to me how Romney would win."

He will reinvent himself once again, and folks will suspend their disbelief? 
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2008, 02:36:26 AM »

Obama versus Romney, assuming Iraq is bad but not any worse...assuming the economy is about as is...and assuming no major gaffes or scandals in either camp...

I give Romney Missouri very reluctantly.  But likewise, I am hesitant to proclaim Obama the winner in the two Virginias.

Romney's Mormonism doesn't hurt him enough anywhere to make a big difference.  And it actually helps him enough to win in Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico. 

Why would Mormons help him win New Mexico? It has the highest Hispanic population of any state in the union. Therefore, it has to be one of the most Catholic. Catron County was settled by Mormons, but it is very small.

Romney wouldn't do as poorly as you 1964 people seem to think...  it'd be more like Bob Dole than Barry Goldwater.  no Dem is going to approach 60%.

When are you going to stop supporting Romney? Need I remind you you're a Democrat Tongue
gmo
Rookie
United States
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2008, 11:10:37 AM »

Do you people really have no idea what is going on?  How many times have I factually debunked all the mindless dribble you just posted?  I can't even count them.  Seriously, take a look at reality once in a while and come up with your own arguments against Romney.  Who knows, maybe you'll be the first one to actually find something to criticize him on that he really did!
You can say it is all media spin or is for no good reason at all, or you might totally disagree with this thesis.  But here is one place where I think this board mirrors the general public - a major fraction of people seem to dislike Romney and a lot of them quite strongly.

Being new to most of the electorate means there should be a lot of indifference.  Considering his emergence into the national spotlight with relatively strong early results and that he may be positioned as the best coalition conservative candidate, his unfavorable ratings are surprisingly high to me.  At least they are in a vacuum.  Not so surprising considering the pre-IA&NH attacking and the plastic candidate label.

This is not somebody like Clinton or McCain long in the public view with plenty of time to antagonize a lot of people.  On the other side of that coin he has not had a lot of time to get many people really behind him.  As the nominee I expect a lot of the GOP would fall in line behind him, though very likely not nearly enough to upend the Dems in a year where the playing field is tilted in their favor.  His sort of national first impression developed over recent weeks to months has not been very good.

How can Romney reverse the negativity toward him?  Setting aside the "flip-flopper" issue, which I do not like much in general, Romney should be the least distasteful to the conservative masses compared to "liberal" McCain, "socially liberal" Guiliani, and "big government" Huckabee.  Though maybe okay across all the big issues, Romney does not seem to be inspiring many people with any of them.  If the current message of change and cleaning up Washington is to be the central theme I do not see that doing too well coming from the party of the very unpopular incumbent.  If folks want change and pandering, why not go with the Dems?
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2008, 04:33:35 AM »

Hillary v. Romney:

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies