|           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:35:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1976  (Read 1930 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2008, 12:28:28 PM »

Suppose one of the assassination attempts on Gerald Ford in 1975 succeeds. Nelson Rockefeller becomes President. Create tickets and a map for 1976 based on the following:

• Who does Rockefeller choose as his VP?
  • Does Rockefeller run again?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 05:15:45 PM »

i suspect rocky would try to satisfy the right and ask reagan to be his vp, but reagan would likely refuse.

other possibilities include:

howard baker
john tower

and to go for another eastern blueblood...elliot richardson
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 05:56:19 PM »

1) President Rockefeller would select Senator Howard Henry Baker to be his Vice President and thus his running mate for the 1976 Presidential Election. Senator Baker would be acceptable to both moderate and conservative wings of the Republican Party.

2) Now Rockefeller is finally President I would say he would run for the 1976 Republican Nomination and would be challenged by former Governor of California, and Gporter's hero Ronald Wilson Reagan. I would expect Rockefeller to come out on top like President Ford in RL.

I would also assume that former Governor of Georgia Jimmy Carter would run for the Democratic Nomination and win. Thanks to him being a Washington Outsider and vowing to clean up Government. I can imagine him being nominated but I doubt he'd be able to defeat President Rockefeller. Considering he has no connections to Watergate whatsoever.

My Predictions in this match up between President Rockefeller and Governor Carter.

Nelson Rockefeller/Howard Baker (R): 328 Electoral Votes
Jimmy Carter/Walter Mondale (D): 210 Electoral Votes

With Rockefeller being a Norteastern County Club Republican, I would expect him to carry most states in the New England area except for Massachusetts and Rhode Island. I would expect Rockfeller to carry most parts of America, expect for two states in the South (Kentucky and Tennessee, thanks to Howard Baker being his Veep) and a few in the Midwest. Them being, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 10:52:57 PM »

1.  Rockefeller selects Howard Baker of Tennessee, to appease the party, and try and hold the South.  He runs again, against Jimmy Carter/Walter Mondale.

Rockefeller/Baker: 53%, 309 EV
Carter/Mondale: 46%, 229 EV
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 04:19:18 PM »

i suspect rocky would try to satisfy the right and ask reagan to be his vp, but reagan would likely refuse.

other possibilities include:

howard baker
john tower

and to go for another eastern blueblood...elliot richardson

Walter, Howard Baker would certainly have been a distinct possibility as a VP for Rockefeller, in fact, an almost ideal running mate, however, I would completely rule out John Tower because of his civil rights stances.

I do not believe there is any way that Rockefeller, a long standing champion and advocate of civil rights and equality, would have considered John Tower, who opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 06:57:41 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=53853.0
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: