why bother caring?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:36:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  why bother caring?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: why bother caring?  (Read 7881 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2008, 11:35:02 PM »

I just got back a few minutes ago from my walk down the street to smoke a Red.  when I started smoking I thought I'd only do it socially.  but now I walk down my street in 20* weather to go smoke.  "the things you own end up owning you."  but anyway, I used to go by this tree.  lean against it, facing a fence.  very difficult for anyone to see me.  not that I much care in the sense you're thinking, but it was peaceful.  so as I approach the spot where I smoke, I come to a realization: the tree is no longer there!  it has been cut down in the last few days.  lying with the tree shavings were a few of my old cigarette butts.  I spent the next few minutes searching for another tree, but couldn't find one, so I lit up in the middle of the road.  the untold effects of deforestation...
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2008, 11:37:50 PM »

This is an amusing thread..... 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2008, 11:38:41 PM »

I am now convinced that this thread was posted as a joke.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2008, 11:39:14 PM »

I mean seriously, I do have anxiety of what tommorow holds.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2008, 11:45:55 PM »

I mean seriously, I do have anxiety of what tommorow holds.

It's good that you care, because it matters. 

I am sorry some people think it's a joke, and more sorry that I was sincere enough to think it wasn't.

Doesn't matter, though.  What I said still stands.

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2008, 11:49:17 PM »

Tweed has been known to do that.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2008, 12:04:37 AM »

So, it matters even when I have been silenced.  What should I do then?
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2008, 12:07:16 AM »

Only the meager strive to absolve themselves of their resolution.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2008, 12:16:40 AM »

What do we do when we can do nothing any longer?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2008, 01:08:14 AM »

What do we do when we can do nothing any longer?

We find a picture of a kitten about to fall off a fence as it stretches to try and grab a butterfly, frame it, and put the word "HOPE" underneath it, then we hang it up on our cubicle wall before asking Pam to please, just please, stop slurping her coffee.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2008, 02:05:34 AM »

FDR couldn't get elected today.  Bobby Kennedy?  Forget about it.

You're right.  They'd lose the primary because they were never for gay marriage or partial-birth abortion.  Today's Democrats are too intolerant to accept the likes of them.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2008, 02:05:46 AM »

This thread is the ultimate in pointless babbling.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2008, 03:12:53 AM »

Tweed has been known to do that.

miamiu/nihilists for Romney is Tweed?  I thought he was another person. 

Anyway I haven't bothered to read the whole thread as I didn't have time and was too lazy, but is the gist of it that some people are disturbed that we can do nothing to reduce the fascistic nature of the american government?  Of course you can't, fellows, you're nobodies, democracy is a farce, and the State is controlled by the owning class.  I think if it really bothers you a spree is the only way to make any kind of statement.  Not that I'm recommending that, of course, just saying IF.  You have to admit there have been a lot of sprees lately, and they do seem to be increasing in frequency over time..
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2008, 04:51:19 AM »

FDR couldn't get elected today.  Bobby Kennedy?  Forget about it.

You're right.  They'd lose the primary because they were never for gay marriage or partial-birth abortion.  Today's Democrats are too intolerant to accept the likes of them.

If they were alive today, they would support those things.  Don't be an idiot.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2008, 06:32:44 AM »

Am I the only one who actually understands what Tweed is talking about, even if I don't agree with him?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What do you mean by "Real Thinking"? Is that this kind of post-Adolscent introspection (and in a modern society you have to be at least comfortably off to do that; no time if you work for Walmart.) or something else?

As for Politicians, a Politician can only get elected if he represents the vast swath of public sympathy and viewpoint. This is why to people who look outside "the system" think "they are all the same" - They are the same because the window of public opinion is very narrow and is based on a bunch of cultural niches which are often put into people at a very young age, via parenting and the Education system. Most people accept these views, some - for no apparent reason - don't. You are the latter.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

But what People FEEL is different from person to person; perhaps some people's feeling is limited to McDonald's Drive Thrus, as a limited a life as that is.

I do agree though that there is a strange level of politician worshipping going on here, but perhaps that is to be expected. But you are looking at it wrong, Clinton and McCain are more representative of the Average American than you or Ron Paul (who shows unlike some claims that Money isn't that important in American Politics.) and if they are problems then it just shows a deeper malaise in American society as a whole which produces its senators, representatives and Presidents. Looking at it a Marxist viewpoint where the rulers hoodwink the Masses is totally inadequent. Would Joe Sixpack rule any differently? any better? (And anti-immigration does not show apathy. It shows a strong sense of Reactionarism. Which is something totally different. But would require a totally different post.)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2008, 10:44:38 AM »

Looking at it a Marxist viewpoint where the rulers hoodwink the Masses is totally inadequent. Would Joe Sixpack rule any differently? any better? (And anti-immigration does not show apathy. It shows a strong sense of Reactionarism. Which is something totally different. But would require a totally different post.)

I've renounced Marxism.  not that I ever labeled myself anything, but anyway...

my point about immigration and apathy...  if people actually thought about what mass deportation would look like, I don't think they'd favor it anymore.  but perhaps I'm too kind to My Fellow Americans, perhaps they are just evil... reactionaries certainly, but also, evil.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2008, 10:58:07 AM »

This is why to people who look outside "the system" think "they are all the same" - They are the same because the window of public opinion is very narrow and is based on a bunch of cultural niches which are often put into people at a very young age, via parenting and the Education system. Most people accept these views, some - for no apparent reason - don't. You are the latter.

Oh come on, the apparent reason is he's less stupid than they.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2008, 11:21:36 AM »

I think this thread is about anxiety more than anything else. We see the writing on the wall, yet can't do anything about nor see the effects yet. All we see is the impending doom that never comes and we are naturally anxious. When will the day of reckoning arrive? What will become of me? What can I do about it? Will I have a life in the morning after?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2008, 12:12:03 PM »

Mass deportation is hardly supported by the majority of Americans (SC GOP primary voters are hardly a representative sample) and it's not going to happen, period.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2008, 01:07:01 PM »

Seriously.  Not a big deal.  Looking at things objectively, politics really don't matter that much.  George Bush does not affect your life that much.  We like to look at the headlines and think that our government is doing all this and that or whatever.  If you think about it, they don't do much at all.  You can live your whole life not knowing we even have a politically active government.  The changes, or lack there of, are not that drastic and will rarely affect our lives to the point where we really should be concerned.  We are all just obsessed with politics, leading to a reality in which the President and Congress actually matter for some reason.

Why are you here, then? and why are there so many blatant warning signs coming up (peak oil, deficits, public and private, terrorists, fanaticism, credit crunches, state abuses)? Do they always come up?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2008, 01:30:39 PM »

Seriously.  Not a big deal.  Looking at things objectively, politics really don't matter that much.  George Bush does not affect your life that much.  We like to look at the headlines and think that our government is doing all this and that or whatever.  If you think about it, they don't do much at all.  You can live your whole life not knowing we even have a politically active government.  The changes, or lack there of, are not that drastic and will rarely affect our lives to the point where we really should be concerned.  We are all just obsessed with politics, leading to a reality in which the President and Congress actually matter for some reason.
Why are you here, then? and why are there so many blatant warning signs coming up (peak oil, deficits, public and private, terrorists, fanaticism, credit crunches, state abuses)? Do they always come up?

I am here because I have a subjective and irrational draw to politics.  The government always works out our problems.  We have nothing to worry about.  We may have small, momentary blips of politics showing up in our lives, but they are very easily ignored.  And what do you mean "warning signs"?  Signs of what?

look at my list. Smiley
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2008, 02:40:37 PM »

Then there is the rise in violent crimes, the reccesion, global warming.
Everything seems to be ok despite everything. Will it last?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2008, 03:12:07 PM »

George Bush does not affect your life that much.  We like to look at the headlines and think that our government is doing all this and that or whatever.  If you think about it, they don't do much at all.  You can live your whole life not knowing we even have a politically active government.  The changes, or lack there of, are not that drastic and will rarely affect our lives to the point where we really should be concerned.  We are all just obsessed with politics, leading to a reality in which the President and Congress actually matter for some reason.

Not everyone lives in a bourgeois ghetto you know.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2008, 03:14:54 PM »

George Bush does not affect your life that much.  We like to look at the headlines and think that our government is doing all this and that or whatever.  If you think about it, they don't do much at all.  You can live your whole life not knowing we even have a politically active government.  The changes, or lack there of, are not that drastic and will rarely affect our lives to the point where we really should be concerned.  We are all just obsessed with politics, leading to a reality in which the President and Congress actually matter for some reason.

Not everyone lives in a bourgeois ghetto you know.
....insulated from the real world from whatever might getcha.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2008, 06:01:25 PM »

As someone who most definetly lives inside a "Bourgeois Ghetto" all I can say is "What an apathetic life you lead".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies