whatever happened to the gene mccarthy/rfk voters? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:54:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  whatever happened to the gene mccarthy/rfk voters? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: whatever happened to the gene mccarthy/rfk voters?  (Read 1638 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: January 21, 2008, 05:31:05 PM »

i sometimes wonder what happened to the mccarthy and rfk voters in 1968.

specifically, i wonder what percentage of them ended up voting for reagan in 80 or 84?

funny thing happens when you grow up and make money...you become less concerned with singing folk songs around the flag pole and more concerned with protecting your assets and lifestyle.

i suspect the same will happen for a lot of these misguided youngsters that are now supporting obama.

I was too young then and I was pretty much a far right Republican until about 1988-1990.  But I very much identify with the McCarthy-RFK wing of the party now.  My favor pols have been people like Paul Wellstone, John Kerry, Barbara Boxer and Russ Feingold.  I like Ted Kennedy on the issues, I guess, but not so much personally. I love John Edwards' rhetoric, but I have never really believed he was serious about pursuing it after he won the election.

But I realize, I am a dying breed.  You're a Republican.  I give you permission to bury me right next to my Republican hero, Mark Hatfield.  But not too soon, okay?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 11:37:31 PM »

i sometimes wonder what happened to the mccarthy and rfk voters in 1968.

specifically, i wonder what percentage of them ended up voting for reagan in 80 or 84?

funny thing happens when you grow up and make money...you become less concerned with singing folk songs around the flag pole and more concerned with protecting your assets and lifestyle.

i suspect the same will happen for a lot of these misguided youngsters that are now supporting obama.

I was too young then and I was pretty much a far right Republican until about 1988-1990.  But I very much identify with the McCarthy-RFK wing of the party now.  My favor pols have been people like Paul Wellstone, John Kerry, Barbara Boxer and Russ Feingold.  I like Ted Kennedy on the issues, I guess, but not so much personally. I love John Edwards' rhetoric, but I have never really believed he was serious about pursuing it after he won the election.

But I realize, I am a dying breed.  You're a Republican.  I give you permission to bury me right next to my Republican hero, Mark Hatfield.  But not too soon, okay?

Mark Hatfield is still alive.

I know.  I am just expecting that he will depart this planet before I do.  Since he is in his late 70's and I am 42.  Then again, you never know.  Just reserve the plots for me, okay?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies