Do You Agree with this Statement?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:37:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do You Agree with this Statement?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do You Agree with this Statement?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Do You Agree with this Statement?  (Read 5114 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:33:59 PM »

When people see John F. Kennedy they see what they want to be, whilst when they see Richard Nixon they see what they are.

Discuss.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 09:37:28 PM »

I would agree.  I certainly would much rather be JFK, but I know that, politically, I am Richard Nixon.  Actually, I'm maybe closer to LBJ, but that's beside the point.  On the whole, this statement is accurate, and sad.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 09:53:23 PM »

I kind of have to agree. The person who I am is quite close to Nixon, angry all the time, curmudgeonly, swear alot, hate people for no apparent reason, so that part of the equation is true.

As for the part about wanting to be Kennedy, well if someone made me a good looking heir apparent to one of the richest families in America who has the chops to hop in bed with the likes of Marilyn Monroe what do you think my answer is going to be?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 07:12:34 PM »

I would agree.  I certainly would much rather be JFK, but I know that, politically, I am Richard Nixon.  Actually, I'm maybe closer to LBJ, but that's beside the point.  On the whole, this statement is accurate, and sad.

Much of that is true for me. If I ever go into politics, I might well get caught breaking and entering. Actually though, I see more of what I want to be in Bobby Kennedy than in Jack Kennedy.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 07:19:28 PM »

Agree 100% If I could have a different father to what JFK had.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 08:15:13 PM »

I like to think that most people aren't anything like Nixon actually...
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 08:42:16 PM »

If everyone was like Richard Nixon, the world would be a way worse place.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 09:32:54 PM »

Intead, they should aspire to be a lying, unfaithful, cheat like our wonderful President Kennedy.  Roll Eyes

When will people realize that these beloved Kennedy's did just as much bad as Nixon did?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 10:42:34 PM »

Intead, they should aspire to be a lying, unfaithful, cheat like our wonderful President Kennedy.  Roll Eyes

When will people realize that these beloved Kennedy's did just as much bad as Nixon did?

Maybe if it ever comes true. Tongue
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 03:32:16 AM »

Most of us are nothing like either of these elite members. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 04:53:40 PM »

I made no mention of the oh so glorious St Kennedy of Brookline.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 04:54:49 PM »

Why should they believe something that isn't true?
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 05:00:36 PM »

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 05:51:59 PM »

The sinister political animal known as the Kennedy family was much worse than Nixon. Nobody cares to recognize that, though, because the Kennedy's are such a glorious bunch.  Roll Eyes
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 06:06:00 PM »

Indeed. 
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 08:58:49 PM »

I kind of have to agree. The person who I am is quite close to Nixon, angry all the time, curmudgeonly, swear alot, hate people for no apparent reason, so that part of the equation is true.

As for the part about wanting to be Kennedy, well if someone made me a good looking heir apparent to one of the richest families in America who has the chops to hop in bed with the likes of Marilyn Monroe what do you think my answer is going to be?

You know, it's funny that you say that, because you come off as being generally quite agreeable and friendly on the forum while I come off as curmudgeonly and hateful when I'm actually genuinely friendly in real life.

I think I actually end up being more like Jimmy Carter without the Evangelic Christianity.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 09:03:49 AM »

The sinister political animal known as the Kennedy family was much worse than Nixon. Nobody cares to recognize that, though, because the Kennedy's are such a glorious bunch.  Roll Eyes

Kennedy didn't bomb Cambodia or overthrow Allende.

Next!
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 10:04:07 AM »

Next!

Granting invention is permissible, which is certainly something Kennedy agreed with, I don't see the problem in saving a country from communism. Allende was the Chavez of his day.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 10:20:21 AM »

Bit like the old Commie defense of Stalinism really. Can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs and so on. People aren't eggs though. In any case, Allende and his followers would have been voted out at the next election.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 11:41:40 AM »

Bit like the old Commie defense of Stalinism really. Can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs and so on. People aren't eggs though. In any case, Allende and his followers would have been voted out at the next election.

Exactly. Chile had at the time one of the strongest and most established parliamentary systems in Latin America - Allende had been in power for 3 years and approaching the end of his term and re-election (which he would have lost; his popularity went down the tubes after election). To support such a military action against him renders talk of "democracy" hypocritical at best.

Btw Bono, do you support the murder of this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9_Schneider
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 05:12:49 PM »

You know, it's funny that you say that, because you come off as being generally quite agreeable and friendly on the forum while I come off as curmudgeonly and hateful when I'm actually genuinely friendly in real life.

Well I probably am it's just I happen to love giving myself a hard time. Low self-esteem I guess.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 05:20:49 PM »

Next!

He did oversee that ever so successful mission in the Bay of Pigs.

Next.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 12:19:44 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2008, 12:28:07 AM by Say No To Hillary »

I'll be the first to say that Kennedy was not the saint that Democrats and naive Liberals in particular make him out to be. He was a sickly drug addicted, womanizing, friend of Joe McCarthy who won due in large part to the corrupt machines in cities like Chicago. But the scale of the Nixon administration's illegal activities and general ruthlessness makes him look like a choir boy.

Also Ted Kennedy needs to be voted out of office. Badly.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 06:39:12 AM »

Next!

Next.

How is the bay of pigs comparable to the hundreds of thousands deaths in Cambodia or installing a dictatorship in Latin America. I don't Understand...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 04:52:36 PM »

Next!

Next.

How is the bay of pigs comparable to the hundreds of thousands deaths in Cambodia or installing a dictatorship in Latin America. I don't Understand...

I assumed you were talking about general foreign policy "mistakes."
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies