Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 06:32:46 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate (Moderator: Beet)
| | |-+  17-year-old primary election voting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Should 17-year-olds who will be 18 for the general election be allowed to vote in the primary election?
Yes   -26 (74.3%)
No   -9 (25.7%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: 17-year-old primary election voting  (Read 1482 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -2.61

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2008, 03:35:05 am »
Ignore

I've managed to convince my State Representative to introduce this amendment to our State Constitution and the House State Government Committee Chair is on board too. We've got a hearing coming up in a week or so and I wanted to know all of your opinions on it.

Obviously I am in favor.
J. J.
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 05:44:20 am »
Ignore

Yes.  In PA, you can register to vote if your birthday will be on the day after the date the primary or election is held.  If your birthday was in October, for example, you couldn't vote in the PA primary (April).

J. J.

"Actually, .. now that you mention it...." 
- Londo Molari

"Every government are parliaments of whores.
The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us." - P. J. O'Rourke

"Wa sala, wa lala."

(Zulu for, "You snooze, you lose.")
Harry
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:23:55 am »
Ignore

Yes.  You should be able to vote in any election that you would turn 18 during the elected person's term.
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:58:06 am »
Ignore

No, I see no reason for it. The underlying principle, if I understand it correctly, makes little sense to me.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
perdedor
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:36:25 am »
Ignore

I would personally be in favor of lowering the voting age to 16. If you can drive and pay taxes at that age, why shouldn't you have a meaningful say in your governmnet?

MooMooMoo
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:55:15 am »
Ignore

I would personally be in favor of lowering the voting age to 16. If you can drive and pay taxes at that age, why shouldn't you have a meaningful say in your governmnet?
Those who can't vote shouldn't have to pay taxes.

the result is a sense that we were told to attend a lavish dinner party that was going to be wonderful and by the time we got there, all the lobster and steak had been eaten, a fight had broken out, the police had been called and all that was left was warm beer and chips.
[/quot
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 12:15:59 pm »
Ignore

A bill to lower the voting age to 16 was also introduced, but it's obviously much less likely to pass than this one.

Washington State is an especially good case for it - we have no state income tax so most of our income comes from the state sales tax which everyone pays for years before they turn 18.
MooMooMoo
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 12:34:15 pm »
Ignore

A bill to lower the voting age to 16 was also introduced, but it's obviously much less likely to pass than this one.

Washington State is an especially good case for it - we have no state income tax so most of our income comes from the state sales tax which everyone pays for years before they turn 18.

there's still federal taxes...but I guess familial representation theory works at state-wide elections, where there are no taxes.

the result is a sense that we were told to attend a lavish dinner party that was going to be wonderful and by the time we got there, all the lobster and steak had been eaten, a fight had broken out, the police had been called and all that was left was warm beer and chips.
[/quot
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 12:43:36 pm »
Ignore

there's still federal taxes...but I guess familial representation theory works at state-wide elections, where there are no taxes.

Yea, the federal taxes are even more of a reason since the majority of 16 and 17-year-olds have had some sort of job they've paid taxes for.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 07:28:38 pm »
Ignore

Certainly. My 18th birthday is less than a week before the 2012 elections. If I can vote then, why not in the primary?

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 08:43:11 pm »
Ignore

I can vote in the MN caucuses even though I turn 18 this August, so I don't see why not.

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 09:16:12 pm »
Ignore

Yes.  You should be able to vote in any election that you would turn 18 during the elected person's term.

Uh, that'd allow 12 year olds to vote in Senate elections. Probably not the best move.

I support this and actually lowering the age to 17 (but not 16) altogether. If it was lowered to 17 though, I'd support the same rule for 16 year olds in the primary.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
CultureKing
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 10:33:58 pm »
Ignore

I personally see no reason for the law, you can just wait until you are 18, I know its a drag and real annoying but oh well.

Econ: -6.50, Social: -5.23
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 11:48:50 pm »
Ignore

I am in this singular situation (in fact I turn 18 on the day of the general election).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout