17-year-old primary election voting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:06:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  17-year-old primary election voting
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should 17-year-olds who will be 18 for the general election be allowed to vote in the primary election?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: 17-year-old primary election voting  (Read 1975 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 22, 2008, 03:35:05 AM »

I've managed to convince my State Representative to introduce this amendment to our State Constitution and the House State Government Committee Chair is on board too. We've got a hearing coming up in a week or so and I wanted to know all of your opinions on it.

Obviously I am in favor.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 05:44:20 AM »

Yes.  In PA, you can register to vote if your birthday will be on the day after the date the primary or election is held.  If your birthday was in October, for example, you couldn't vote in the PA primary (April).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:23:55 AM »

Yes.  You should be able to vote in any election that you would turn 18 during the elected person's term.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:58:06 AM »

No, I see no reason for it. The underlying principle, if I understand it correctly, makes little sense to me.
perdedor

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:36:25 AM »

I would personally be in favor of lowering the voting age to 16. If you can drive and pay taxes at that age, why shouldn't you have a meaningful say in your governmnet?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:55:15 AM »

I would personally be in favor of lowering the voting age to 16. If you can drive and pay taxes at that age, why shouldn't you have a meaningful say in your governmnet?
Those who can't vote shouldn't have to pay taxes.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 12:15:59 PM »

A bill to lower the voting age to 16 was also introduced, but it's obviously much less likely to pass than this one.

Washington State is an especially good case for it - we have no state income tax so most of our income comes from the state sales tax which everyone pays for years before they turn 18.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 12:34:15 PM »

A bill to lower the voting age to 16 was also introduced, but it's obviously much less likely to pass than this one.

Washington State is an especially good case for it - we have no state income tax so most of our income comes from the state sales tax which everyone pays for years before they turn 18.

there's still federal taxes...but I guess familial representation theory works at state-wide elections, where there are no taxes.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 12:43:36 PM »

there's still federal taxes...but I guess familial representation theory works at state-wide elections, where there are no taxes.

Yea, the federal taxes are even more of a reason since the majority of 16 and 17-year-olds have had some sort of job they've paid taxes for.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 07:28:38 PM »

Certainly. My 18th birthday is less than a week before the 2012 elections. If I can vote then, why not in the primary?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 08:43:11 PM »

I can vote in the MN caucuses even though I turn 18 this August, so I don't see why not.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 09:16:12 PM »

Yes.  You should be able to vote in any election that you would turn 18 during the elected person's term.

Uh, that'd allow 12 year olds to vote in Senate elections. Probably not the best move.

I support this and actually lowering the age to 17 (but not 16) altogether. If it was lowered to 17 though, I'd support the same rule for 16 year olds in the primary.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 10:33:58 PM »

I personally see no reason for the law, you can just wait until you are 18, I know its a drag and real annoying but oh well.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 11:48:50 PM »

I am in this singular situation (in fact I turn 18 on the day of the general election).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies