Democratic Unity
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:55:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Democratic Unity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Democratic Unity  (Read 2621 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 01:16:15 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Catastrophes seldom shift countries to the left.
The Great Depression certainly did. When something bad happens, people blame the people (and to a certain degree, the ideology espoused by those people) in power, and vote for the guys on the other side of the aisle.

And arguably, the hyperinflation of the 1970's shifted the county to the right.

Yes. but the country was trending right by then anyway yet the left still had the power. The country's problems began in the 60s with too much change.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 01:20:54 PM »

I won't be voting for a racist, status quo, center-right, pro-war candidate.

Same here.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2008, 01:24:36 PM »

The Great Depression certainly did. When something bad happens, people blame the people (and to a certain degree, the ideology espoused by those people) in power, and vote for the guys on the other side of the aisle.

That Depends.. IMO I think that had to do with the reaction to the Counterculture than specifically economics. (Or rather the "left" had became anathema to some of its traditional supporters.)

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2008, 01:30:41 PM »

That Depends.. IMO I think that had to do with the reaction to the Counterculture than specifically economics. (Or rather the "left" had became anathema to some of its traditional supporters.)

Like the right is?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2008, 01:36:08 PM »

Same here.

Center-right or not, Clinton will be to the left of the Republican nominee on the issues that matter - bread and butter, that is

I've never seen any point in all this cutting one's nose off to spite one's face nonsense even if that has meant me having to support the proverbial lesser of the two evils. It's important not to lose sight of the bigger picture

I, of course, would be a very different Democrat to what you are

Dave
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2008, 02:40:31 PM »

The "counterculture," as the term was used in the 1960's, was dated by the 1976 election; it was effectively dead.  A "hippie" in the late 1970's was living in the past.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2008, 04:34:53 PM »

Don't worry.  The Democrats don't have anyone that matches that description.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »

Ahem... Have you forgotten John Edwards?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 04:37:30 PM »

The "counterculture," as the term was used in the 1960's, was dated by the 1976 election; it was effectively dead.  A "hippie" in the late 1970's was living in the past.

Oh yes I would agree with that. But it was really the perception that the counterculture had led to the Anarchy of the 70s (or perceived Anarchy; rising crime, drug offences especially, etc) - there was also a clear nostalgia for the period before the Vietnam war. Which in the strange way Reagan represented. That is not the only reason o\c; but it is significant.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 04:37:54 PM »

hahaha . . . Edwards is pro-war?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2008, 04:39:04 PM »

Oh yes I would agree with that. But it was really the perception that the counterculture had led to the Anarchy of the 70s (or perceived Anarchy; rising crime, drug offences especially, etc) - there was also a clear nostalgia for the period before the Vietnam war. Which in the strange way Reagan represented. That is not the only reason o\c; but it is significant.

Yes....and Nixon was already talking about the social dsorder in his campaign in 1968. He was the one who promised non-activist judges and to limit social change.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2008, 04:42:03 PM »

Yes....and Nixon was already talking about the social dsorder in his campaign in 1968. He was the one who promised non-activist judges and to limit social change.

Indeed. What is known as the "counterculture" was just Hippies and the such. It was any sort of radical movement of the time, especially those opposed to the Vietnam war. O\c this was hated by the vast majority of Americans.

Why do you think McGovern did that badly, after all?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2008, 05:24:35 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2008, 05:32:11 PM by Torie »

Most of the Obama supporters here (most of the Democratic ones anyway) will line right back behind Clinton once she wins the nomination exactly like they did during his Presidency.  This will be especially true if she picks him as her Veep.

The only concern I can see goes to black voters, but I'm sure they have some plan to deal with that.

In my poll here, so far over 40% of the Dems on this site are not voting for Clinton against McCain. They are crossing over, or sitting it out, going third party or whatever. Obviously, the sample here is not representative of Dems in general, but it does suggest at the moment that there is some animosity to Mrs. Clinton.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »

I'm an Obama supporter who will never vote for Hillary Clinton.  I just can't vote for a megalomaniacal triangulator who will continue a dynasty.  Her decision to inject race into the campaign and her series of lies about Obama have also soured my view of her.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2008, 05:27:47 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2008, 05:32:30 PM by SIX ONE TWO »

Most of the Obama supporters here (most of the Democratic ones anyway) will line right back behind Clinton once she wins the nomination exactly like they did during his Presidency.  This will be especially true if she picks him as her Veep.

The only concern I can see goes to black voters, but I'm sure they have some plan to deal with that.

In my poll here, half the Dems on this site are not voting for Clinton against McCain. They are crossing over, or sitting it out, going third party or whatever. Obviously, the sample here is not representative of Dems in general, but it does suggest at the moment that there is some animosity to Mrs. Clinton.

People change. On DU in 2004 there were loads of hardcore Deaniacs who were screaming "I'LL NEVER EVER VOTE FOR JOHN KERRY!" and raving about his vote for the Iraq War Resolution and all that. Few of them were banned and most were still around on election day, admitting that they were about to reluctantly vote for Kerry. And based on turnout and the performance of third parties, it's safe to say the vast majority of Deanies did everywhere.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2008, 05:31:15 PM »

So, we'll be alright- but our 11% defection rate cost us the election. Then again, the GOP had really high turnout.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2008, 05:31:41 PM »

hahaha . . . Edwards is pro-war?
He was when it mattered...
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2008, 05:33:38 PM »

I remember reading that site a couple of years ago. Most of those folks are as delusional as the Free Republic folks.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2008, 05:33:46 PM »

Truthfully, I think that the race this year offers two very good candidate choices. Hillary would be the first woman, and Obama the first African-American. I think people have just become caught up in their support for one candidate and have forgotten that we need to unite as Democrats to bring change. Any republican would be worse than any Democrat IMO. All of the Republican candidats are mediocre, lackluster, and would be horrible for the country. I hope that Obama can win, although the realist in me says his candidacy is rather doomed.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2008, 05:34:30 PM »

The Great Depression certainly did.

...in the United States (and even then only indirectly) but not everywhere. The Depression gave the world Hitler after all.

O/c hoping for an economic catastrophe on the basis that it will swing people to the Left is one of the stupidest sub-Marxist delusions out there.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2008, 05:35:44 PM »

What will turn our country back to the left-center then? I hope its just a matter of winning debates.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2008, 05:50:11 PM »

The Great Depression certainly did.

...in the United States (and even then only indirectly) but not everywhere. The Depression gave the world Hitler after all.

O/c hoping for an economic catastrophe on the basis that it will swing people to the Left is one of the stupidest sub-Marxist delusions out there.

IIRC, the 1930s were not exactly a great time for "liberals" in general.  It certainly was a conservative golden age in the artistic world.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies