Metric Conversion Act [Passed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:18:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Metric Conversion Act [Passed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Metric Conversion Act [Passed]  (Read 11500 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2008, 07:13:09 PM »
« edited: February 18, 2008, 10:02:23 PM by Verily »

Metric Conversion Act

1. The government of Atlasia shall convert to a dual usage of metric and imperial units in all relevant affairs, effective three months after passage.
2. The use of imperial units shall thereafter be phased out of use by the government of Atlasia as seen fit by its constituent parts but on a plan ending no later than January 1, 2015.
3. The government of Atlasia shall invest in the establishment of a metric system education program to inform citizens and residents of Atlasia on the workings of the metric system.

(Sponsor: Verily)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 10:05:37 PM »

I encourage the Senate to pass this.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 10:18:12 PM »

I encourage the Senate to not pass this bill.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 10:19:18 PM »

I agree with the Attorney-General. The Senate needs this passed.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 10:21:28 PM »

I going to guess that this bill is going to be supported by everyone who is not from the USA.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 10:30:50 PM »

Why not?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 10:33:22 PM »

I feel that since a majority of people on this forum do not use the metric system, then we should not change the current form.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 10:34:53 PM »

I feel that since a majority of people on this forum do not use the metric system, then we should not change the current form.

Even though the metric system is more efficient and just makes more sense?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 10:36:12 PM »

Even though the metric system is more efficient and just makes more sense?

Correct; of course, since I am not a Senator, I have no vote in the matter.  I'm merely acting as a lobbyist.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 10:38:17 PM »

We are changing so as to be able to more easily participate in international commerce. That, combined with the slow conversion coupled with substantial public education programs means that the people should be fluent in metric by the time complete conversion occurs.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 10:40:16 PM »

We are changing so as to be able to more easily participate in international commerce. That, combined with the slow conversion coupled with substantial public education programs means that the people should be fluent in metric by the time complete conversion occurs.

Good reasoning, but I still prefer the current system.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 11:09:19 PM »

We have long been 'out of the loop' scientifically for a multitude of reasons, and this is one near the top. In order to push progress and unity in science and common culture, this is an absolute must, and the beginning of a whole new foreign era for Atlasia.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 12:27:02 AM »

What's so bad about keeping our slugs and poundals?

Plenty.  Back in the 1980's I took as part of my college minor a junior level college physics course in mechanics taught by an old fossil of a professor who used a 1970 textbook so he could still teach us the joys of slugs, pounds, and poundals..
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 02:33:03 AM »

What's so bad about keeping our slugs and poundals?

Plenty.  Back in the 1980's I took as part of my college minor a junior level college physics course in mechanics taught by an old fossil of a professor who used a 1970 textbook so he could still teach us the joys of slugs, pounds, and poundals..

I've never heard of a poundal, but we definitely used slugs in high school physics. As a bit of a joke, of course; I just have a distinct memory of them from problem sets.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 01:50:26 PM »

Well, this is how the rest of the world does it. Why not us?

I would like to add a clause though,

4. Starting in the 2008-2009 Atlasian public school year, all Atlasian public elementary schools shall teach both imperial and metric measurements, starting in Kindergarten. The end of Imperial unit education shall coincide with the phasing-out of said units.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 02:59:15 PM »

I support this bill
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 05:58:19 PM »

4. Starting in the 2008-2009 Atlasian public school year, all Atlasian public elementary schools shall teach both imperial and metric measurements, starting in Kindergarten. The end of Imperial unit education shall coincide with the phasing-out of said units.

I think that's already included by implication in Clause 1, though I don't object to adding it for clarity. Although I'd rather remove the "starting the Kindergarten" clause and simply have it stand as a whole. Of course, I don't recall anyone ever mentioning "feet" or "degrees Fahrenheit" in Kindergarten, nor do I think dual teaching is the right way to go: it would just confuse little kids who don't understand things like decimals.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 10:58:51 PM »

I strongly oppose any attempt to mandate that schools not teach imperial measurements.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 11:26:35 PM »

I think that's already included by implication in Clause 1, though I don't object to adding it for clarity. Although I'd rather remove the "starting the Kindergarten" clause and simply have it stand as a whole. Of course, I don't recall anyone ever mentioning "feet" or "degrees Fahrenheit" in Kindergarten, nor do I think dual teaching is the right way to go: it would just confuse little kids who don't understand things like decimals.
ok on removing "starting in Kindergarten". But, I do believe that dual teaching needs to be done because the schoolchildren can't just know one or the other.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 03:14:32 AM »

I strongly oppose any attempt to mandate that schools not teach imperial measurements.

It should be mandated only to teach the metric system, not mandated to not teach imperial.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2008, 04:29:42 AM »

It should be mandated only to teach the metric system, not mandated to not teach imperial.

Speaking as (1) someone who has graduated with a degree in chemical engineering and (2) as someone who edits and writes mathematic textbooks for a living, it is important that the imperial system to continue to be taught so students can participate in modern industry, where, like it or not, employees and engineers will still need to know what a "BTU" is, or understand what a "foot-pound" of torque is when such a measurement comes up on a gauge manufactured before 2008.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 12:55:11 PM »

Speaking as (1) someone who has graduated with a degree in chemical engineering and (2) as someone who edits and writes mathematic textbooks for a living, it is important that the imperial system to continue to be taught so students can participate in modern industry, where, like it or not, employees and engineers will still need to know what a "BTU" is, or understand what a "foot-pound" of torque is when such a measurement comes up on a gauge manufactured before 2008.

Especially when pertaining to elementary school students, such concerns are not particularly major. I would like the reverse of the current system, with imperial units only introduced in high school while metric units are used throughout schooling.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 02:19:05 PM »

If we are going to make this switch I find it important that the government fund the classes needed by current workers who are deemed consistent users. If we are going to be the ones making the change, we are the ones who have to pay for it.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 09:20:05 PM »

Especially when pertaining to elementary school students, such concerns are not particularly major. I would like the reverse of the current system, with imperial units only introduced in high school while metric units are used throughout schooling.

So far as I am aware (having edited math textbooks for both elementary school students as well as high school students) both metric and standard units are taught in elementary school.

The issue of what to teach and when is not a national matter, but a matter for the regions.  The Senate should not be legislating curricula.  If we pass a bill requiring only metric units to be used in official government capacity, the regions are likely to, with the aid of actual teachers, redesign their curriculum to accomodate our legislative efforts.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 10:36:30 PM »

So far as I am aware (having edited math textbooks for both elementary school students as well as high school students) both metric and standard units are taught in elementary school.

I guess they weren't as recently as when I was in elementary school. Of course, I was in a pretty poor school district.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Which I'm fine with.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies