Geneology
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:44:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Geneology
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Geneology  (Read 1446 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2008, 05:08:55 AM »

I've been getting really into it over the past few months.

I've managed to discover a few very interesting things
- My great-grandparent's marriage in 1913 was a shotgun wedding, my grandfather being born 3 months later
- I'm related to a well-known Australian writer, who's written a fiction book based around our common ancestor (who was a real nasty piece of work)
- I have at least 3 direct relatives who were killed in Nazi camps during the War

It really is quite a strange thing to look back at all these people who are all part of you.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 10:35:48 AM »

My Great-great-grandfather stole from the Mob in St. Louis.  At some point after that(this was like the 1910s or 20s) he was picked up in a black vehicle and never seen again.  We figure hes wearing cement shoes in the mississippi river somewhere.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 11:50:38 AM »

My grandfather was imprisoned in the Soviet Union during the Great purge and became minster of Agriculture in Bulgaria for a short time in the 40's.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 11:52:37 AM »

I'm pretty sure my Grandfather served as Undersecretary of Commerce back in the 60's or 70's.  He also had the highest grades in the history of his College.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 12:09:22 PM »

On my father's side, my family comes from a long line of skilled craftsmen who became businessmen, professors, authors, and diplomats after they arrived in the United States.  One of my uncles is an architect.

My mother's ancestry is of the samurai class.  I don't know anything more than that. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 12:16:54 PM »

My ancestry is of Highland and Hebridean crofters, migrants from Monaghan and that's about it. No one note really (bar a sports stadiun architect) Just ordinary people who got on with their lives I guess.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »

I know I have some family members that arrived here on the Mayflower. I also have family members that died in the RMS Lusitania sinking in 1915.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 12:25:44 PM »

Westphalian/Bergisch Catholic middle class on my dad's side, Frankfurt Catholic skilled working class of a few generations, with divers origins before the great urban migration days of around 1900 (Silesia, Fulda/Hünfeld area, Flörsheim near Frankfurt, Middle Rhine Gorge, Upper Swabia...)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 12:28:11 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2008, 12:31:01 PM by Verily »

George Washington was my first cousin ten times removed. (I am descended from his mother's sister.)

My great-grandparents eloped, my great-grandmother having been the daughter of wealthy aristocrats in Alabama and my great-grandfather having been very poor.

Of my great-grandparents, at least six of eight could trace roots back to colonial America; of the others, one's ancestry disappears into the morass of Irish immigrants in New York City and the other's parents had immigrated from Sweden to Indiana.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 12:29:08 PM »

George Washington was my first cousin ten times removed. (I am descended form his mother's sister.)

And you are also at least partly Roman, if I remember correctly. 
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 12:32:02 PM »

George Washington was my first cousin ten times removed. (I am descended form his mother's sister.)

Well, going by appearances, anyway. There's no way I could be Briton, Scandinavian or Anglo-Saxon in ancestry with hair and skin my color, but my ancestry can be traced, in the long term, to rural England and Scotland.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »

Well, going by appearances, anyway. There's no way I could be Briton, Scandinavian or Anglo-Saxon in ancestry with hair and skin my color, but my ancestry can be traced, in the long term, to rural England and Scotland.
Unless you're dark enough to pass for Subsaharan, that's an absurd statement to make.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 12:58:19 PM »

My family is a product of Post-War economic migration, so I'll have to break this up into four rather than two:

Taid's side: lived in northern Meirionnydd for a very, very, very long time. The surname (which dates from the late 18th century) is a bit of a puzzle though. The assumption has always been that it was adopted during the whole revivalist thing; but it was long enough ago as to be hard to know.

Grandad's side: his family was the product of economic migration of an earlier century. One side of the family (where his family's unusual surname came from) lived in County Durham for a very long time, one side moved up from Merthyr at some point (though where they were from in turn I don't know). But I know very little about his Grandmother and nothing about her family; indications are that she was an immigrant (possibily second generation) but no idea where from.

Nan's side: appear to have lived in and around Bristol and Gloucestershire in general (including some in the Forest of Dean) for quite a while, before moving to Monmouthshire. Another family with an odd name; my Nan remembers people telling her that it was probably French (which she found hard to believe).

Grandma's side: her father's family was from Northants (I know for a fact that her, um, great-great (another great needed? can't remember) was a pauper who lived in a rural area a few miles from Daventry, though some came from Dorset also IIRC. Her mother's family were mostly from Leicestershire (I think a few from Notts. and Kent as well?) and some were, if you go back far enough, Huguenots.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 01:07:02 PM »

On my dad's side, my grandparents were born in Assam in India, but moved south to Sylhet during the '47 partition, and eventually to Dhaka (I do have an aunt who still lives in Sylhet, and my dad's uncle lives in India to this day). My maternal grandfather was also Sylheti, but since he worked for the government, he moved around a lot (my mom was born in Chittagong, though she hardly remembers it). My maternal grandmother came from the south; her mother died at Feni around '98.

That's all I know. Though I have 22 aunts and uncles and 30-40 cousins, I'm not related to anyone interesting.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 01:13:11 PM »

i'm a quarter Cherokee, with four out of my sixteen great great grandparents being full blooded.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 01:44:20 PM »

Through my paternal grandmother, Hendrick Sellen is my sixth great grandfather.  He's mentioned here.  http://books.google.com/books?id=8dgLAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA78&lpg=PA78&dq=%22hendrick+sellen%22+germantown&source=web&ots=aoHme54hqL&sig=-uJwFLRFkvSeFdILFZV1d8YXhV0

He came to Germantown (now part of Philadelphia) in December of 1685 and owned land within five miles of where I live.  He was one of the first 30 German families in North America and was born in Krefeld, Germany.  The land was bought from a man who bought it two years before from William Penn.

On the day that my father died, I touched his body and within 12 hours, touched the wall that Sellen had helped build and still has his named carved in it, thus completing the cycle.

To be honest with you, I find the genetics oppressive at times. 

My paternal grandfather's family were the Amerindians.

His grandaughter married
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 11:04:25 PM »

I'm actually related to Pocahontas through one of her siblings(Descended from one of her sisters)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 11:27:06 PM »

a subject im interested in as well.

my mother's family is pretty well documented.  most of her ancestors were of german descent, but there was a lot of mixing, as her family has been in america for quite a while.

my father's family isnt so sure.  my surname is definitely english.  but i have no idea how long his family had been here or what.  they were very poor and rural.  i suspect most of his family history is in 'family bibles'.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 11:39:48 PM »

Some other things -

* My great-great grandmother's parent's dairy farm on the Isle of Wight supplied Queen Victoria at Osbourne House.

* I'm 1/16th Aboriginal

* My great-uncle was a member of the Underground getting Jews out of Germany.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 11:54:09 PM »

As poor Catholic immigrants, none of my family members did anything particularly distinguishable. I do know one branch (mother's father's) was researched back to farmers in Bavaria in the 1700s.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 12:21:33 AM »

Unless you're dark enough to pass for Subsaharan, that's an absurd statement to make.

LOL, well, okay. You find me someone with olive skin and black hair with "vetted" Anglo-Norman, Celtic or Briton ancestry.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 03:40:56 AM »

Some other things -

* My great-great grandmother's parent's dairy farm on the Isle of Wight supplied Queen Victoria at Osbourne House.

* I'm 1/16th Aboriginal

* My great-uncle was a member of the Underground getting Jews out of Germany.

One of my mother's cousins was supposedly in the French Underground.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 06:44:57 AM »

LOL, well, okay. You find me someone with olive skin and black hair with "vetted" Anglo-Norman, Celtic or Briton ancestry.
Well, my grandfather. Not Anglo-Norman of course, but certainly Celtic/Germanic/Slavic.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies