Young Hispanics Leaving Catholic Church for Protestant Faith
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:59:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Young Hispanics Leaving Catholic Church for Protestant Faith
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Young Hispanics Leaving Catholic Church for Protestant Faith  (Read 4883 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 04:39:54 PM »

I really, really want to know why BRTD obsesses over Catholics.

Bigotry, largely. As well, racism is a part of it. He's glad to see these immigrants assimilating into his white bread, suburban, hardcore vision for society.

...WTF?

Bless him.

BRTD needs to understand that Minneapolis =/= the world. Or how else would one come to the conclusion that Catholics are more right-wing than white evangelicals?

Well, he's not doing a great job of the Twin Cities, either, as Catholic high schools aren't just for riches, but either for very Catholics or not-from-around-here riches who don't realize that Eden Prairie, Wayzata, Minnetonka, Edina High Schools, etc. all exist Tongue
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 11:52:51 AM »

BRTD needs to understand that Minneapolis =/= the world. Or how else would one come to the conclusion that Catholics are more right-wing than white evangelicals?

That was never my point or claim.

Though it might be true in the 18-29 demographic, which has plenty of progressive evangelicals and very few actual Catholics, and the few that exist are quite socially conservative (See people like TJ and Phil.) A young raised Catholic who converts to evangelical is quite more likely to be likely than a young raised Catholic who remains Catholic, especially considering the former is more likely to join something like an emergent church than Southern Baptist or whatever.

Well, he's not doing a great job of the Twin Cities, either, as Catholic high schools aren't just for riches, but either for very Catholics or not-from-around-here riches who don't realize that Eden Prairie, Wayzata, Minnetonka, Edina High Schools, etc. all exist Tongue

Actually I said that was in the case in my hometown, not the Twin Cities.

Though your statement here doesn't exactly go against my point, since it implies still that Catholic schools are for riches, and that they are a pretty whitebread and suburban thing.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 12:29:47 PM »

The shift is within the MOE of the subsample.  This is not news.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 10:06:36 PM »

But it is notable that the Protestant numbers have NOT decreased, despite the large movement toward "None".
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 10:16:19 PM »

But it is notable that the Protestant numbers have NOT decreased, despite the large movement toward "None".

As a Democrat, I'm not sure you should be celebrating this. Bush did quite good among Hispanic Protestants, iirc. And yes, a quick google search shows 54% in 2004. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 10:22:54 PM »

As a Democrat, I'm not sure you should be celebrating this. Bush did quite good among Hispanic Protestants, iirc. And yes, a quick google search shows 54% in 2004. 

The article mentioned that youngs tend to be quite more liberal on social issues (unsurprisingly.)

I'd be surprised if anyone (of any race) switches party when converting from Catholic to Protestant, or vice-versa. If someone converts to a rather socially conservative church, they were conservative pre-conversion too.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 11:14:22 PM »

The article mentioned that youngs tend to be quite more liberal on social issues (unsurprisingly.)

I'd be surprised if anyone (of any race) switches party when converting from Catholic to Protestant, or vice-versa. If someone converts to a rather socially conservative church, they were conservative pre-conversion too.

Young people tend to more liberal in general across all populations.

Now some convert for matters of aesthetics, style or outreach and not necessarily any social issue. Once you are in that milieu the social fundamentalism and then GOP patterns can seep in. Then you have the generational trickle down of that.  This is borne out by statistics.  Its a self reinforcing thing really.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 11:28:36 PM »

If someone's going to ignore the Catholic hierarchy on social issues, there's no reason they can't ignore an evangelical church's positions on those too once converting. Kind of the point I made here:

And I fail to see why belonging to an evangelical church and supporting gay marriage is more hypocritical than supporting gay marriage and belonging to a Catholic church, even if it's assumed all evangelical churches are anti-gay.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 11:53:19 PM »

If someone's going to ignore the Catholic hierarchy on social issues, there's no reason they can't ignore an evangelical church's positions on those too once converting. Kind of the point I made here:

And I fail to see why belonging to an evangelical church and supporting gay marriage is more hypocritical than supporting gay marriage and belonging to a Catholic church, even if it's assumed all evangelical churches are anti-gay.

In America at least, Protestants tend to take their faith more seriously and are more active and activist about it. They go to church more, are more conservative and vote more GOP. Dealing with such large and varied groups it is only useful to speak in the broad sense because you will have exceptions everywhere.  The numbers remain that Hispanic protestants are more GOP than Catholics. This has a generational effect too as the next generations are brought up in this more conservative milieu. 

I am not sure the point on the second post. Out of context, I don't see the hypocrisy.

From my personal view, I would be better for the Church to have marriage be a sacrament and as defined by it as man and wife etc...  Let govt's decide the laws of the land and stay out of it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2013, 12:36:59 AM »

In America at least, Protestants tend to take their faith more seriously and are more active and activist about it. They go to church more, are more conservative and vote more GOP. Dealing with such large and varied groups it is only useful to speak in the broad sense because you will have exceptions everywhere.  The numbers remain that Hispanic protestants are more GOP than Catholics. This has a generational effect too as the next generations are brought up in this more conservative milieu. 

But as admitted, this is very generalized. The article notes some may have converted with disgust with the Catholic church's positions on these issues. There are plenty of Protestant, and even evangelical churches that are nowhere near as blatantly socially reactionary about this type of stuff. I imagine that youngs with liberal views converting to evangelicalism are far more likely to convert to something like an emergent church or a ignoring social issues type of charismatic church than some fire and brimstone one. Now I know you and afleitch like to argue that places like this are really viciously fundamentalist and are merely hiding their true nature but even if we assume this is true, it's not going to affect someone going to them who already holds liberal views on these things and cause them to change them. Come to think I don't think I've EVER met a person who shifted to being AGAINST gay marriage.

Now if you wonder what's colored my views on this stuff (more as a general statement, not really toward patrick), consider the context: The Catholic church waged a VICIOUS anti-gay campaign here for the past two years up until November and even prior to that did as much backing for Tom Emmer as possible without violating IRS regulations (on that issue alone.) It utterly disgusted me to no end, and the Star Tribune and some local indie publications on more than one occasion ran stories citing ex-Catholics who said they left the church because of this alone. Yes lots of Protestants did the same thing. But lots didn't, even evangelicals. One megachurch pastor attracted some controversy for refusing to support the amendment, while he stopped short of speaking against it too, he did give some statement along the lines of "I know there are plenty of people at my church on both sides of this issue and I'm not going to get involved in something this divisive."

Now I know the point is always made that many individual Catholics didn't agree with this at all and were just as disgusted. I don't dispute that. But I ask then why remain in the church. The "OMG CULTURE" stuff reminds me of Oldiesfreak's arguments about how the Republicans should be supported today because of the Civil War and segregation era. It sounds just as absurd and nonsensical to me.

Maybe there's deeper things here I don't really value and thus I can't comprehend it well. I don't dispute that. But that still explains WHY I can't understand it and find it so bizarre and inane.

I am not sure the point on the second post. Out of context, I don't see the hypocrisy.

You don't maybe. But there are plenty of people (see afleitch and Progressive Realist) who hold this type of double standard.

From my personal view, I would be better for the Church to have marriage be a sacrament and as defined by it as man and wife etc...  Let govt's decide the laws of the land and stay out of it.

You might think that, but that doesn't do much against $1.5 million spent on an anti-gay marriage campaign.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »

At least part of this is due to the broader nature of the church. When doing polling average, one has to include both half-assed Catholics and the hardcore conservatives, but you don't have to do the same for evangelicals.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 11:13:44 PM »

At least part of this is due to the broader nature of the church. When doing polling average, one has to include both half-assed Catholics and the hardcore conservatives, but you don't have to do the same for evangelicals.

Yes, because of course, it's impossible to be a "serious" Catholic without being a "hardcore conservative."
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2013, 12:27:23 AM »

I actually sat next to a Hispanic couple this morning.

Yes, because of course, it's impossible to be a "serious" Catholic without being a "hardcore conservative."

Thing is this, if you aren't agreeing with the heirarchy on all the important issues that they make a fuss about, which would at least make you conservative even if not "hardcore conservative", then what the hell makes you Catholic or a "serious" Catholic besides "OMG CULTURE!" ? The dichotomy here is split kind of absurdly, but the point is fairly clear.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2013, 12:39:48 AM »

It is very possible to be a Catholic without being a hardcore conservative. Not every Catholic teaching is summed up by the Republican Party platform and some people, crazy as this sounds, don't neatly fit into an American ideology. For example, there are a few Catholics in Madison that are both pro-life protestors and pro-union/anti-Walker protestor. As much as all of us demographers on Atlas like to believe not every fits into a neat little box.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2013, 12:45:45 AM »

That might be true, but I have a feeling PR was also meaning it's possible to be a "serious" Catholic and not socially conservative, which I see as pretty tough.

For the record, my big issue with the whole idea of "ethnic religions" is the implication that anyone who does leave it therefore is this. This isn't explicitly stated too often today, but is often kind of implied and the underlying attitudes still run through. Even oakvale admitted there is a bit of an issue where non-Catholics are viewed as not "real" Irish.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies