How much of the Hebrew Bible can be taken as fact?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:06:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  How much of the Hebrew Bible can be taken as fact?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How much of the Hebrew Bible can be taken as fact?  (Read 13423 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 12:46:03 PM »

Jacob, Isaac, and Abraham are quite real.  They did not live to the age as given in Genesis,

you were around to witness the length of their lifespans?  wow, you must be really old

Abraham did not live to be 175, Isaac to 137, and Jacob at 147.

since you back your statements with nothing but your own opinion, I think I'll stick with the bible's own interpretation
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 04:48:50 PM »

Oh, certainly the latter parts have some historical credibility.  (Though God slaying the Assyrian army in II Kings is a bit of a stretch).  We know that the Assyrians, Babylonians etc. came in waves that match the Biblical chronology pretty well, and we also know that there could have been a pretty good sized Hebrew empire in the 10th century BCE (though not the size Solomon's empire is described as).  But yes, the kingdoms of Israel and Judah, and respective falls of each, and return to the Land, is pretty credible, and some of the prophets (Nahum, I'm looking at you) are really great views of how the society of the period viewed its neighbors.  Ezekiel's rant about Tyre, Isaiah's statements to make no alliances with the Egyptians, etc.

Daniel and Esther are both historical fiction, and both are totally implausible.  I reread Daniel last night, and really found myself struck.  (Who the hell is this "Darius the Mede?")  On the other hand, I don't have any trouble believing Ezra and Nehemiah.
GeorgianGurl
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 05:07:05 PM »

can we have a "delete account" button please?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 12:26:52 AM »
« Edited: January 20, 2013, 12:37:14 AM by Ron Paul The Death Eater »

Jacob, Isaac, and Abraham are quite real.  They did not live to the age as given in Genesis,

you were around to witness the length of their lifespans?  wow, you must be really old

Abraham did not live to be 175, Isaac to 137, and Jacob at 147.

Why are you disbelieving your own text? Why are you not factoring miracles into your beliefs?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 07:46:45 PM »

Depends.  Is there anything in it that we have evidence of outside of the religious texts themselves? 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 09:01:09 PM »

Depends.  Is there anything in it that we have evidence of outside of the religious texts themselves? 

Yes.  The earliest is the Deir 'Alla inscription which indicates that Balaam, son of Beor, was indeed revered as a prophet among the Moabites as described in the book Numbers.  Altho the inscription has him being a prophet of the gods, not just of YHWH.  Numbers 22 to 24 makes more story sense if in the original tale, Balaam consulted with three gods instead of just one, but it was later revised since there could be no gods except YHWH.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 09:09:07 PM »

Yes.  The earliest is the Deir 'Alla inscription which indicates that Balaam, son of Beor, was indeed revered as a prophet among the Moabites as described in the book Numbers.  Altho the inscription has him being a prophet of the gods, not just of YHWH.  Numbers 22 to 24 makes more story sense if in the original tale, Balaam consulted with three gods instead of just one, but it was later revised since there could be no gods except YHWH.

Fair enough.  Bible, this bone has been thrown.  We will meet again. 
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »

All of it.  And how is Genesis allegorical?  As an Adventist, most of my denomination teaches a literal six-day creation (creation is the subject of our current Sabbath school lesson.)  I don't necessarily agree with that, but I do believe in creation in general.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 05:41:10 PM »

All of it.  And how is Genesis allegorical?  As an Adventist, most of my denomination teaches a literal six-day creation (creation is the subject of our current Sabbath school lesson.)  I don't necessarily agree with that, but I do believe in creation in general.

The parts that are contrary to the scientific and historical method. Do you think the experts have got that wrong?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 05:53:47 PM »

If evolution is real, then how was The Flintstones made?
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 01:39:13 AM »

All of it.
Tutankhuman Bakari Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2013, 06:06:56 AM »
« Edited: February 27, 2013, 06:09:46 AM by OC »

Certainly noahs ark and appocholypse and 80 year old woman having kids can be theory and resurrection. Only historical facts are literal.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2013, 02:11:46 PM »

Certainly noahs ark and appocholypse and 80 year old woman having kids can be theory and resurrection. Only historical facts are literal.

Pangea can explain Noah's Ark.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »

What? No it can't.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 02:42:22 PM »

First of all Pangaea began to separate about 200 million years ago, so you're some 199.9 million years out. The fact there was a supercontinent didn't mean there was more water in the form of oceans than there is today and there is not enough water or elements that can be fused to form water to adequately cover the planet in the stuff. In short it didn't happen. And of course the planet has 8.7million species; there wasn't the room for 17.4 million animals and all their food to float about on a big boat.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 09:06:11 PM »

I ment Pangea (or the Supercontinint idea in general) explains how all the animals managed to get there. Before the flood, rain had never happened, and that's part of why so few people believed him.

As for long lives, sin causes death, and the people that lived so long were servants of God who protected them from sin.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »

I ment Pangea (or the Supercontinint idea in general) explains how all the animals managed to get there.

No it doesn't, because as has already been pointed out to you you're off by some 199.9 million years. Humans didn't even exist at the time of Pangea to build an ark in the first place.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 11:35:19 PM »

I ment Pangea (or the Supercontinint idea in general) explains how all the animals managed to get there.

No it doesn't, because as has already been pointed out to you you're off by some 199.9 million years. Humans didn't even exist at the time of Pangea to build an ark in the first place.

Which are you going to trust, some rocks or the word of Jehovah 1?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies