How much of the Hebrew Bible can be taken as fact? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:13:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  How much of the Hebrew Bible can be taken as fact? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How much of the Hebrew Bible can be taken as fact?  (Read 13512 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 28, 2008, 05:40:04 AM »

then why does the rest of scripture treat Genesis as the historical record?  The simple fact is that scripture doesn't treat the account Genesis any differently than it does any other historical book of the bible.  In fact, I could easily argue that Genesis is treaty as the blueprint for the rest of the bible.

Can the events in Genesis be taken allegorically?  Absolutely.  For example, a lot of the events of Joseph's life establish a pattern that the Messiah would later follow.  But that doesn't make the events of Joseph's life any less real.

Scripture simply treats the events recorded in prior scripture as BOTH literal and figurative.

---

, although certain parts (Joseph going into Egypt) can be taken as actually happening.

Well, how could Joseph be real but not his father (Jacob), his grandfather (Issac), or his great-grandfather (Abraham)?

---

In all kindness, I don't think you have thought this through.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 12:20:11 PM »

Jacob, Isaac, and Abraham are quite real.  They did not live to the age as given in Genesis,

you were around to witness the length of their lifespans?  wow, you must be really old
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 12:46:03 PM »

Jacob, Isaac, and Abraham are quite real.  They did not live to the age as given in Genesis,

you were around to witness the length of their lifespans?  wow, you must be really old

Abraham did not live to be 175, Isaac to 137, and Jacob at 147.

since you back your statements with nothing but your own opinion, I think I'll stick with the bible's own interpretation
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies