Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 08:25:24 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  Islam
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Islam  (Read 4016 times)
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2008, 05:19:00 pm »
Ignore

I'm going to use this thread with a ridiculously generic title to discuss the People of the Book right now.

I think that the Torah is a corrupted version of the word of Allah, so the only parts that can be taken as fact are those that are expressly corroborated in the Qur’ān, which is about a quarter based on my completely random guess.

So, what is your faith's view on the people of the book?

Do we end up in hell (I can't remember what its called in Islam, something J-- but too close spelling wise to heaven for me to try and spell)? Temporary punishment? Permanent?  You can answer in another thread if you'd like

</hijack>

It depends on your righteousness.

3:113-115: Not all of them are alike; a party of the people of the Scripture stand for the right, they recite the Verses of God during the hours of the night, prostrating themselves in prayer. They believe in God and the Last Day; they enjoin Al-Ma'rûf and forbid Al-Munkar; and they hasten in (all) good works; and they are among the righteous. And whatever good they do, nothing will be rejected of them; for God knows well those who are Al-Muttaqûn.

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:18:44 pm »
Ignore

Could you tell them the history of Islam?
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 04:51:40 pm »
Ignore

As revealed in the Qur'an or what is historically corroborated?

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 04:56:03 pm »
Ignore

A bit of both. They are both relevant and of worth I find. I fell the same way with Christianity; no religion is excempt from it's place in history Smiley
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 04:57:09 pm »
Ignore

A bit of both. They are both relevant and of worth I find. I fell the same way with Christianity; no religion is excempt from it's place in history Smiley
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 08:20:14 pm »
Ignore

Well, the Qur'an says that Islam was created with Adam. However, his religion was corrupted and lost. The same happened for many more prophets, through Moses and Jesus. However, this will not be the case for Muhammad. After this, we go into recorded history. The caliphate, which succeeded Muhammad, was elected. This marks the great split in Islam: the Sunnis wanted an elective caliphate, while the Shiites wanted a hereditary one.

More to come later.

Update reading list

Colin
ColinW
YaBB God
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 12:14:39 am »
Ignore

Xahar, just out of curiosity where is your family from? Are you Sunni or Shia?

"God protects fools, drunks, and the United States of America" - Otto Von Bismarck

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful." - Seneca the Younger

Quote from: Conservapedia
Thanks to Bryan's victory in the Scopes trial, Tennessee voters have been educated without oppressive evolution theory for 75 years. Free from the liberal indoctrination, Tennessee voted against native son Al Gore in the 2000 Presidential election.
Verily
Cuivienen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 12:18:17 am »
Ignore

He's from Bangladesh, I believe. Which would imply Sunni.
Colin
ColinW
YaBB God
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 12:27:19 am »
Ignore

I thought I remembered that he was from the Indian Sub-continent I just couldn't decide between Pakistan and Bangladesh.

"God protects fools, drunks, and the United States of America" - Otto Von Bismarck

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful." - Seneca the Younger

Quote from: Conservapedia
Thanks to Bryan's victory in the Scopes trial, Tennessee voters have been educated without oppressive evolution theory for 75 years. Free from the liberal indoctrination, Tennessee voted against native son Al Gore in the 2000 Presidential election.
Hashemite
Moderators
YaBB God
South Africa

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -7.30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 11:06:48 am »
Ignore

If you're Sunni, what's your opinion on Shias?

Warner for President '16
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 03:17:58 pm »
Ignore

From a Doctrine standpoint, what kind of difference is there between the various branches of Islam?

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Hashemite
Moderators
YaBB God
South Africa

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -7.30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 05:54:14 pm »
Ignore

From a Doctrine standpoint, what kind of difference is there between the various branches of Islam?

I studied it last year, but since the teacher was a Valium, I forgot the details. Mainly the split occurred over some Caliphal succession issue, and one side killed Ali and the split occurred IIRC.

From experience in Saudi Arabia, most Sunnis think Shias are dogs and assholes, and vice versa

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 06:08:19 pm »
Ignore

From what I remember, after the death of Muhammad (632 AD/CE), the caliph (successor, a position with both spiritual and temporal power) was Abu Bakr, Muhammad's father-in-law, and then was succeeded by Omar and Uthman.  Many Muslims believed Muhammad's son-in-law Ali ibn Abu Talib should have succeeded.  The supporters of Ali were the Shia.  Ali took power after the death of Uthman, but a rebellion led by Muhammad's youngest widow Aisha (Abu Bakr's daughter) and by a Muslim general named Muawiyah.  Muawiyah murdered Ali at a peace treaty and became caliph, founding the Umayyad dynasty.

From then on, Muslims divided between the side that favored the caliphs (Sunnis) and the side that favored putting Muhammad's descendants via Ali on the throne (Shia).

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 06:45:25 pm »
Ignore

I thought I remembered that he was from the Indian Sub-continent I just couldn't decide between Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Yes. I am a Sunni from Bangladesh.

I don't have any problem with them. Since the caliphate lost meaning long ago and was finally abolished, the dispute is rather pointless now.

From what I remember, after the death of Muhammad (632 AD/CE), the caliph (successor, a position with both spiritual and temporal power) was Abu Bakr, Muhammad's father-in-law, and then was succeeded by Omar and Uthman.  Many Muslims believed Muhammad's son-in-law Ali ibn Abu Talib should have succeeded.  The supporters of Ali were the Shia.  Ali took power after the death of Uthman, but a rebellion led by Muhammad's youngest widow Aisha (Abu Bakr's daughter) and by a Muslim general named Muawiyah.  Muawiyah murdered Ali at a peace treaty and became caliph, founding the Umayyad dynasty.

From then on, Muslims divided between the side that favored the caliphs (Sunnis) and the side that favored putting Muhammad's descendants via Ali on the throne (Shia).

That's about right.

Update reading list

phk
phknrocket1k
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 03:54:08 am »
Ignore

I don't have any problem with them. Since the caliphate lost meaning long ago and was finally abolished, the dispute is rather pointless now.

That's about right.

IIRC: Bangladeshi Muslims are 95% Sunni and 5% Shia.

Also on the subject of the caliphate, do many Sunnis want to resurrect the office of caliphate in some form?

only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 06:42:33 am »
Ignore

I think that the Torah is a corrupted version of the word of Allah, so the only parts that can be taken as fact are those that are expressly corroborated in the Qur’ān, which is about a quarter based on my completely random guess.

Do we end up in hell (I can't remember what its called in Islam, something J-- but too close spelling wise to heaven for me to try and spell)? Temporary punishment? Permanent?  You can answer in another thread if you'd like

</hijack>

There are no eternal hell sentences according to Islamic teaching. For no one. It's not a sadist cult.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 10:56:48 pm »
Ignore

That's about right.

IIRC: Bangladeshi Muslims are 95% Sunni and 5% Shia.

Also on the subject of the caliphate, do many Sunnis want to resurrect the office of caliphate in some form?

I'm sure there are some, but most people I know regard the caliphate as fully legitimate only as long as it was elected. Besides, political issues have doomed this idea to the same fate as the Pan-Arab movement.

</hijack>

There are no eternal hell sentences according to Islamic teaching. For no one. It's not a sadist cult.

Yes. For most people, an instant in the hellfire will be enough to purify you. For really evil people, it might take somewhat longer.

Update reading list

Gabu
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 02:18:30 am »
Ignore

Yes. For most people, an instant in the hellfire will be enough to purify you. For really evil people, it might take somewhat longer.

What then, you get admitted to heaven (or what do you call it?)?

"To me, 'underground' sounds like subway trains.  That's the only sound I associate with 'underground'." - Everett
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 10:13:19 am »
Ignore

Of course.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Gabu
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 11:02:29 pm »
Ignore

Of course.

Well that's a point in favor of Islam for me, then.

"To me, 'underground' sounds like subway trains.  That's the only sound I associate with 'underground'." - Everett
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout