College Students at Forefront of Labor Organizing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:16:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  College Students at Forefront of Labor Organizing
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: College Students at Forefront of Labor Organizing  (Read 2748 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2005, 07:29:51 PM »

who says our generation is more economically libertarian than the last?

Students' Clout Helping Workers -- and Unions:
Colleges Are Bright Spot For Labor Organizing

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A35521-2005Apr7.html

Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 08:15:34 PM »

Labor unions reason for existence is to benefit the members.  Often it is businesses and consumers who foot the bill for these benefits.  Given that college students are unlikely to become members of a labor union later in life, it is likely that they will change their views in time.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 11:38:32 PM »

Campuses that are hotbeds of union activity are largely ones at which the tuition fees are high, indicating that the students place a low priority on price to begin with.  When you consider that a student at Howard is spending twice as much on tuition as an in-state student at the University of Virginia is (two of the schools mentioned in the WP article), it is easy to see why the two schools student bodies have such divergent responses.  Its easy to be in favor of raising other people’s wages above market rates when you feel that it won’t affect you.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 07:10:38 AM »

Campuses that are hotbeds of union activity are largely ones at which the tuition fees are high, indicating that the students place a low priority on price to begin with.  When you consider that a student at Howard is spending twice as much on tuition as an in-state student at the University of Virginia is (two of the schools mentioned in the WP article), it is easy to see why the two schools student bodies have such divergent responses.  Its easy to be in favor of raising other people’s wages above market rates when you feel that it won’t affect you.

Very true.  Many of the opinions of college students are based on insulation on reality, on the fact that the implementation of those views won't affect them.  It will affect them later, but they don't know it yet.

It's easy to be generous with your money when mommy and daddy are paying for everything.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 08:18:08 AM »

Very true.  Many of the opinions of college students are based on insulation on reality, on the fact that the implementation of those views won't affect them.  It will affect them later, but they don't know it yet.

It's easy to be generous with your money when mommy and daddy are paying for everything.

Exactly.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 04:59:54 PM »

I'm pro-union myself and guess what my parents paid for my college bills?  NOTHING!
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 05:03:11 PM »

I'm pro-union myself and guess what my parents paid for my college bills?  NOTHING!

I imagine then that the taxpayers paid at least a portion of your college bills.  You might show them more appreciation when the occasion warrants.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 05:09:29 PM »

I imagine then that the taxpayers paid at least a portion of your college bills.  You might show them more appreciation when the occasion warrants.

A portion yes, but also my education surely benefits them as well.  Moot argument.  A significant portion however, was paid by myself and I'm still paying for it in the form of student loans that bloodsucking banks are getting a significant portion as interest.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 05:34:39 PM »

College students have a way of supporting extremists.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 05:38:47 PM »

...college students are unlikely to become members of a labor union later in life, it is likely that they will change their views in time.

Hah, they should be so lucky.  The main reason for this is not that people with undergraduate degrees make decent money, it is simply that union jobs are a rare and declining portion of the economy.  There is no reason why 'white collar' jobs should not be unionized.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2005, 05:44:10 PM »

A portion yes, but also my education surely benefits them as well.  Moot argument.  A significant portion however, was paid by myself and I'm still paying for it in the form of student loans that bloodsucking banks are getting a significant portion as interest.

Bloodsucking banks?  Are you suggesting that they're not entitled to repayment of what they lent you?  Keep in mind that it's depositors' money used to lend to you.   I don't understand your mentality at all.  It's a depression-era way of thinking.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2005, 05:49:13 PM »

...college students are unlikely to become members of a labor union later in life, it is likely that they will change their views in time.

Hah, they should be so lucky.  The main reason for this is not that people with undergraduate degrees make decent money, it is simply that union jobs are a rare and declining portion of the economy.  There is no reason why 'white collar' jobs should not be unionized.

THANK YOU!  I got offered a job at Deloitte in the low $40s and they wanted me to leave my government job at 40 hrs. per week at $38,000 to work 50-60 for them for little more money.  I declined!  By past standards, students coming out of college are getting shafted and can't start their adult lives until they're 30-35.  Dazzleman, if you don't think this is a problem, you're naive.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2005, 05:51:48 PM »

Bloodsucking banks?  Are you suggesting that they're not entitled to repayment of what they lent you?  Keep in mind that it's depositors' money used to lend to you.   I don't understand your mentality at all.  It's a depression-era way of thinking.

Of course they are.  I get soliciations for consolidation constantly.  It's not as bad as predatory lending such as payday cash advances, but considering one could work a summer job in the 1970s and have their parents pay half the tuition, I feel this is a problem.  You need a college degree now to basically attain a living and pay exorbitant loans to a bank to get a degree.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2005, 05:54:45 PM »

Of course they are.  I get soliciations for consolidation constantly.  It's not as bad as predatory lending such as payday cash advances, but considering one could work a summer job in the 1970s and have their parents pay half the tuition, I feel this is a problem.  You need a college degree now to basically attain a living and pay exorbitant loans to a bank to get a degree.

You still haven't said exactly what the banks are doing wrong.  What is wrong with consolidations?  They can actually lower you monthly payment, and if you don't like the terms, you don't have to take it.  You seem to be suggesting that the banks are responsible for the high level of college tuition today, when they have nothing to do with it.  It's not the banks' fault that you had to take out loans for college.  Your thinking on this is strangely incoherent.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2005, 06:09:23 PM »

THANK YOU!  I got offered a job at Deloitte in the low $40s and they wanted me to leave my government job at 40 hrs. per week at $38,000 to work 50-60 for them for little more money.  I declined!  By past standards, students coming out of college are getting shafted and can't start their adult lives until they're 30-35.  Dazzleman, if you don't think this is a problem, you're naive.

A salary of from $38,000 to the low fourties would be quite tolerable in St. Louis to start, but I know you're in Philadelphia.  But to expect more than 40 hours is quite unreasonable and should certainly be covered by overtime legislation (time and a half).
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2005, 06:33:56 PM »

You still haven't said exactly what the banks are doing wrong.  What is wrong with consolidations?  They can actually lower you monthly payment, and if you don't like the terms, you don't have to take it.  You seem to be suggesting that the banks are responsible for the high level of college tuition today, when they have nothing to do with it.  It's not the banks' fault that you had to take out loans for college.  Your thinking on this is strangely incoherent.

banks are profiting from adminsitrative stupidity/lack of government spending of post-secondary education- that's my point.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2005, 06:39:56 PM »

I still don't know what this has to do with the banks.

I hate the big accounting firms personally, but what they do offer, that the government doesn't, is upside on your earnings.  If you get a good position in private industry with growth potential, and perform well, you can double your income within a few years, and grow even further from there, something that will never happen with a government position.

I've been working 17 years now, and I make 15x what I did when I got out of school.  And I am probably not a lot different from you in terms of intelligence and ability.  I know many, many people in their mid-to-late twenties, and most of them are doing quite well in terms of their earnings.  But if you opted for a government job over a job with income upside, you will suffer from income stagnation.

As far as I can tell, your problem is with the high level of college tuition, versus the income you can make after college.  I don't disagree that high tuition is a problem; it has been increasing at a rate significantly faster than inflation for a long time now.  What I don't get is how the "bloodsucking banks" are to blame for this.

It seems to me that you have a lot of free-flowing anger about where you are in life right now.  That's OK; I've felt that way at times too, and have blamed people and institutions that really weren't responsible, and used flawed logic to do it, as I think you're doing.  But if I can make a friendly suggestion (and I really mean that; I'm not trying to be sarcastic), try to get rid of the anger and really foucs on what's bothering you, and come up with practical ways to address it, rather than flailing about in anger at people and things who haven't really caused your unhappiness.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2005, 06:42:13 PM »

banks are profiting from adminsitrative stupidity/lack of government spending of post-secondary education- that's my point.

Now I understand a little better.  You're angry that you had to take a loan, instead of getting a grant.  Would it have been better if loans were not available either?  Are the banks to blame for the fact that you didn't get a grant, and were thereby forced to take a loan?

I think you overestimate the difficulties you face, relative to what people in previous generations have faced.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2005, 09:38:13 PM »

this is quite disturbing.

im sure the smart kids arent into this kind of nonsense.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies