Judaism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 09:05:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Judaism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Author Topic: Judaism  (Read 56492 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2008, 08:56:02 PM »

This is a copy of Xahar's thread on Islam.  Anyone who has any questions about Judaism is welcome to come here and ask questions, hopefully I'll have the answer or another fellow Jew will answer for me Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 09:01:41 PM »

Judaism belives that everyone's soul will spend eternity with God, so no, there is no Heaven and Hell per se, because everyone spends eternity in a heaven like place.

I've heard this explanation before...i guess I don't understand it...why would He have a chosen people...and why wouldHe allow vile souls (i'm not talking about debatable ones, I'm talking about the most vile people in human history) to have the same outcome?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 09:02:19 PM »

Judaism belives that everyone's soul will spend eternity with God, so no, there is no Heaven and Hell per se, because everyone spends eternity in a heaven like place.

I've heard this explanation before...i guess I don't understand it...why would He have a chosen people...and why wouldHe allow vile souls (i'm not talking about debatable ones, I'm talking about the most vile people in human history) to have the same outcome?

Sorry, but what exactly is the question?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 09:18:57 PM »

Why would Hitler or Stalin spend eternity in heaven?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 09:38:05 PM »

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I believe that as long as someone repents their sins before they die, then they spend eternity with God.  So, to clarify, Hitler and Stalin would not spend eternity with God unless they repented.  God has said that He will forgive anyone, so long as they repent.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 09:42:01 PM »

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I believe that as long as someone repents their sins before they die, then they spend eternity with God.  So, to clarify, Hitler and Stalin would not spend eternity with God unless they repented.  God has said that He will forgive anyone, so long as they repent.

So what happens to the unrepentant?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 09:42:57 PM »

I honestly don't know.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 09:50:20 PM »

Why don't you believe Jesus is the Messiah? He has all of the qualities of one.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 09:51:14 PM »

From a Jewish standpoint, he has none of the qualities. https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=68847.0
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 09:52:09 PM »

That's a pretty loaded question.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 09:53:12 PM »

Yeah, but it's an easy one to answer.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 09:55:51 PM »

I mean that's what I don't get about Judaism...Christianity and Islam...say whatever else you'd like about them, you can kinda get why it pays to be a Christian (or in some circles, uphold the spirit of jesus taught even if you aren't one) or to be a Muslim (or as Xahar has pointed out, a reverant person of the book)...you get rewarded, and if you aren't, there are consequences...

as for Judaism, there doesn't seem, other than the cultural/nationalistic aspects, to be a reason why one should be jewish in faith as opposed to anything else...it seems everyone ends up in the same place, and even that God doesn't award perks to His people...

I might be totally off base, but thats what i've seen thus far from your explainations (and don't worry too much, I get similar explainations from my jewish friends.)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 09:57:01 PM »

I mean that's what I don't get about Judaism...Christianity and Islam...say whatever else you'd like about them, you can kinda get why it pays to be a Christian (or in some circles, uphold the spirit of jesus taught even if you aren't one) or to be a Muslim (or as Xahar has pointed out, a reverant person of the book)...you get rewarded, and if you aren't, there are consequences...

as for Judaism, there doesn't seem, other than the cultural/nationalistic aspects, to be a reason why one should be jewish in faith as opposed to anything else...it seems everyone ends up in the same place, and even that God doesn't award perks to His people...

I might be totally off base, but thats what i've seen thus far from your explainations (and don't worry too much, I get similar explainations from my jewish friends.)

Sorry I can't give a more detailed answer; it's a question I've always had too.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 09:58:20 PM »

I think that God has had a different covenant with each people, which each people are (is?) expected to follow. If you're a Jew, not following Judaism is sinning?
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 09:59:34 PM »

I've never known my religion to have much concern with heaven/hell/afterlife. I believe one rabbi said that the focus of Judaism is to live the current life. Then again, i'm reform, so my beliefs are rather liberal. I can answer some questions too!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 10:00:57 PM »

I've never known my religion to have much concern with heaven/hell/afterlife. I believe one rabbi said that the focus of Judaism is to live the current life. Then again, i'm reform, so my beliefs are rather liberal. I can answer some questions too!

Sweet!  Another Reform Jew! Smiley
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 10:01:07 PM »

How is it loaded? I just want to know why. I never seriously got that one.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 10:01:54 PM »

If you look at the link I provided in my previous response, you'll notice that Jesus did not perform any of the requirements to be a Jewish Messiah.  That is why we do not believe he is the Messiah.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 10:03:11 PM »

If you look at the link I provided in my previous response, you'll notice that Jesus did not perform any of the requirements to be a Jewish Messiah.  That is why we do not believe he is the Messiah.
You could argue that in effect he fufilled some of those promises, but it doesn't matter. Just be oepn too Jesus a little. It isn't like he is bad.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 10:05:13 PM »

You could argue that in effect he fufilled some of those promises, but it doesn't matter. Just be oepn too Jesus a little. It isn't like he is bad.

We don't believe that Jesus was at all bad; just that he wasn't the Messiah.  And no, you cannot argue that he fulfilled some of the promises, since not one of them has come true.  Also, the Messiah is supposed to be a man, not the Son of God.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 10:12:37 PM »

We don't believe that Jesus was at all bad; just that he wasn't the Messiah.  And no, you cannot argue that he fulfilled some of the promises, since not one of them has come true.  Also, the Messiah is supposed to be a man, not the Son of God.
The Roman Empire did fall, with Arian Chrisitans, so in effect Jesus caused it. Israel is now a modern state thanks to Chrisitans.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 10:14:18 PM »

Well...i saw the post you wrote about the supposed requirements for the Hebrew messiah, and the only question I can raise is, how literally does one have to take those requirements...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 10:16:19 PM »

The Roman Empire did fall, with Arian Chrisitans, so in effect Jesus caused it. Israel is now a modern state thanks to Chrisitans.

But, the fall of Rome was not some sort of Christian revolution, it was a large variety of factors.  Also, none of the other requirements have been fulfilled as of yet.

Well...i saw the post you wrote about the supposed requirements for the Hebrew messiah, and the only question I can raise is, how literally does one have to take those requirements...

We take these requirements literally, word for word.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 10:18:20 PM »

But, the fall of Rome was not some sort of Christian revolution, it was a large variety of factors.  Also, none of the other requirements have been fulfilled as of yet.

We take these requirements literally, word for word.
You are like Fundies, lol.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 10:20:40 PM »

Which is interesting that you'd take such a strict standard with that, yet take many elements in the torah as allegory...

I mean its not a simple matter of, on one hand the book states a historical fact and on the other is allegory and thus you can take the facts word for word

you have prophecy on one side, facts on another, and allegory (genesis etc) on yet another...

Why must you take the prophecies word for word?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies