Opinion of Pope Francis' Twitter feed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:26:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of Pope Francis' Twitter feed
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Pope Francis' Twitter feed
Freedom Feed

Horrible Feed

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Opinion of Pope Francis' Twitter feed  (Read 1242 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:13:29 PM »

https://www.twitter.com/pontifex

I'm....surprised. This is basically like what a hipster Christian blogger I like would write if you take out the ones referring specifically to Catholic sacraments and make it more Tumblr style. In fact I could see myself following this and retweeting a lot if I used Twitter. Wow.
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 01:07:35 AM »

Pope Francis is really a hipster, but the Catholic church manages to scrub any references of it in the media. It's interesting. I was reading an article asking how different are Popes Francis and Benedict XVI.

The writer, John Allen, mentions that both Popes are very similar with their beliefs, but their character which has influenced their image for the public, has made them look different in comparison. Also, the author writes that different things like what the Popes says are reported more often, which in fact affects the way people see them.

http://www.cruxnow.com/church/2014/11/26/are-francis-and-benedict-really-all-that-different/
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 01:10:32 AM »

Today on twitter:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 05:30:17 AM »

Look, the Pope seems like a really good guy 95%+ of the time, but nothing he says is that groundbreaking.  It's overwhelmingly reflective of the Catholic Church's longstanding doctrine.  The only difference is in the way he emphasizes and frames issues.  I'm generally pleased about the issues he's bringing to the fore, but more than anything this is an excellent re-branding strategy.  I don't mean that in a remotely cynical way, but it's a Twitter account specifically made to focus on progressive Westerners.  Is it that surprising that it reads this way?

I also don't see what's hipsterish about this.  It sounds exactly like plenty of middle-aged progressives I know.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 07:08:26 AM »

Look, the Pope seems like a really good guy 95%+ of the time, but nothing he says is that groundbreaking.  It's overwhelmingly reflective of the Catholic Church's longstanding doctrine.  The only difference is in the way he emphasizes and frames issues.  I'm generally pleased about the issues he's bringing to the fore, but more than anything this is an excellent re-branding strategy.  I don't mean that in a remotely cynical way, but it's a Twitter account specifically made to focus on progressive Westerners.  Is it that surprising that it reads this way?

I also don't see what's hipsterish about this.  It sounds exactly like plenty of middle-aged progressives I know.

Shh, let him have his fun.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 07:36:44 AM »

Bernie Sanders is obviously a Catholic candidate for President and if he's elected, the clergy will run the United States from behind the throne. The Pope himself would take over Florida and move the Holy See to nearby San Antonio and close all of the Protestant churches.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 10:00:22 AM »

Well as I said, it's less buzzword filled and Tumblr-y, but the general premise is pretty similar to a hipster Christian blog, except for the ones that specifically refer to Catholic sacraments or the Marian stuff.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 11:56:32 AM »

I also don't see what's hipsterish about this.  It sounds exactly like plenty of middle-aged progressives I know.

BRTD does have a tendency of using terms he doesn't completely understands.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 12:54:55 PM »

I also don't see what's hipsterish about this.  It sounds exactly like plenty of middle-aged progressives I know.

Well as I said, it's less buzzword filled and Tumblr-y, but the general premise is pretty similar to a hipster Christian blog, except for the ones that specifically refer to Catholic sacraments or the Marian stuff.

The general premise being "praise Jesus and btw I am liberal"?  yeah I think we're stretching the definition of "hipster" here.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 01:16:49 PM »

The general premise being "praise Jesus and btw I am liberal"?  yeah I think we're stretching the definition of "hipster" here.

Except written by people who often look like hipsters and listen to the same type of music as I do.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »

Except written by people who often look like hipsters and listen to the same type of music as I do.

...in other words, not the Pope, which is my point...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 09:40:04 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean because that is my point. Who would've ever thought the POPE of all people would have a Twitter feed that sounds like things some people who like my music would say?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 12:37:54 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean because that is my point. Who would've ever thought the POPE of all people would have a Twitter feed that sounds like things some people who like my music would say?

dude, you said he sounds like a "hipster Christian."  I asked in what sense he sounds like a "hipster," because he just sounds like a liberal Christian to me.  You responded by saying that most "hipster Christians" you know are also liberal.  I pointed out that it made the "hipster" description of that pointless.

It's like saying he sounds like a black Christian because he's talking about income inequality, because blacks also happen to be liberal and talk about those issues.

i miss this.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies