Judaism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:21:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Judaism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14
Author Topic: Judaism  (Read 56465 times)
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2008, 09:03:22 PM »

basically. If the mom is Orthodox the child will have been baptised since she or she was one.

We don't have baptism.

huh I don't understand your statment.

Jews don't practice baptism.  They practice a water cleansing ritual, mivkah, but it's not equivalent.  More similar is the hand-washing practices, which in the Bible used the same word as "baptism."  They're still not the same thing, though.

thank you I couldn't quit get it off the tip of my tongue.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2008, 09:07:38 PM »

basically. If the mom is Orthodox the child will have been baptised since she or she was one.

We don't have baptism.

huh I don't understand your statment.

Jews don't practice baptism.  They practice a water cleansing ritual, mivkah, but it's not equivalent.  More similar is the hand-washing practices, which in the Bible used the same word as "baptism."  They're still not the same thing, though.

o...k...

Tongue
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #152 on: October 28, 2008, 12:33:54 AM »

Circumcision would be an equivalent, no? Or at least, it would've. It's done too early for that purpose these days.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #153 on: October 28, 2008, 12:41:05 AM »

Circumcision would be an equivalent, no? Or at least, it would've. It's done too early for that purpose these days.

The proximity of these two comments...  Smiley 

And on that note, good night, ladies and gentlemen!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #154 on: October 28, 2008, 12:49:03 AM »

LOL.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2008, 01:45:08 AM »

Eh, sort of.

Circumcision isn't a purification ritual; it's a covenant.  There's an inherent element of purification ritual to a covenant, being that it brings one into the religious fold.  But baptism is symbolic of washing away; circumcision is meant as a mark, a theological contract/cattle brand of sorts.

The only similarity is in infant baptism, in that both are both consent-free inductions into religious membership done on the very young.  You could argue that both pertain to the covenant with God, but really what ritual doesn't?  Their meaning is different, and they're not equivalent.  Besides, baptism applies to both sexes, so it can't really be a direct replacement.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2008, 05:35:57 PM »

Just something I was wondering: are there any Orthodox or Conservative Jews on the forum?  I'm Reform, and I'm pretty sure the other Jews are as well.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2008, 06:06:12 PM »

Just something I was wondering: are there any Orthodox or Conservative Jews on the forum?  I'm Reform, and I'm pretty sure the other Jews are as well.

Raised Conservative. Not a "religious" though
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2008, 06:27:40 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2008, 06:31:56 PM by Ronnie »

I'm a conservative Jew.

To be precise, I would be something of a "Reconservadox".  I drive on Shabbat, keep strict Kosher, go to a Reform temple, and usually go to temple on Shabbat and high holy days.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #159 on: December 04, 2008, 06:39:16 PM »

I'm a conservative Jew.

To be precise, I would be something of a "Reconservadox".  I drive on Shabbat, keep strict Kosher, go to a Reform temple, and usually go to temple on Shabbat and high holy days.

That is an interesting mix.  I'm something like that too; I place more emphasis on Halakha than Reform Jews; I believe in a Messiah, which Reform Jews don't; but I don't keep Kosher, I don't go to temple as often as I'd like, and other things.
!@#$%^&*
RosettaStoned
United States

« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2008, 01:57:25 PM »

Whats a Bris like?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2008, 03:29:23 PM »

Well, I was 8 days old (as are most Jews upon a Bris) so dunno. I can tell you the perspective of someone watching a bris though. It's a pretty big event. A lot of ceremony, including the bringing in of the child by the godparents, blessings by the rabbi, the child gets some grape juice/wine. The circumcision itself is barely visible because of all the relatives surrounding the kid. The baby cries (duh!) and everyone celebrates.

And then we eat.

reminds me of:

Phil 3:4 If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless.

7But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. 10I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.

Pressing on Toward the Goal
 12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
!@#$%^&*
RosettaStoned
United States

« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2008, 04:23:13 PM »

Hypothetically, if a man is already circumcized and converts to Judaism, what happens then?
!@#$%^&*
RosettaStoned
United States

« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2008, 04:28:19 PM »

In conversion a Bris is completely different. Not the same kind of ceremony etc.

First a brief background. In order to convert, there must be an acceptance of the Jewish laws, a ritual cleansing (in the mikvah aka ritual bath), and a circumcision/blood-letting. If a man converts and is already circumcised, there must be some type of small drawing of blood in that area. It does not need to be extremely painful or whatnot, but there needs to be an amount of blood.

Ouch!
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2008, 05:28:07 PM »

First a brief background. In order to convert, there must be an acceptance of the Jewish laws

1) repentance (to turn towards obedience to the word of God)

---
, a ritual cleansing (in the mikvah aka ritual bath)

2) baptism

---

3) having the blood of Christ applied to your heart by the receiving of the Holy Spirit

---

Acts 2:36"Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ."

37When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?"

38Peter replied, "1) Repent and be 2) baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. 3) And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2008, 10:09:28 AM »
« Edited: December 08, 2008, 11:44:34 AM by jmfcst »

Only thing is that Judaism came first...

Unless your point is that Jesus and the apostles were influenced by Judaism, which is likely because Jesus was a Jew and doubtlessly learned all of these ideas. While some may not have appealed to him, others are likely to have stuck.

have you been on Pluto the last 2000 years?  you seem totally unaware of the claims of Christianity.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2008, 11:13:35 AM »

Unless your point is that Jesus and the apostles were influenced by Judaism, which is likely because Jesus was a Jew and doubtlessly learned all of these ideas. While some may not have appealed to him, others are likely to have stuck.

have you been on Pluto the last 2000 years?  you seem totally unaware of the claims of Christianity.

Did Christianity come first? You'll have to explain.

i've never heard of a Christian teaching stating that the old testament was NOT written prior to the new testament

---

Christianity claims to be the fulfillment of the Old Testament, so OBVIOUSLY it is influenced and based upon the Old Testament. 

In fact, every New Testament doctrine I have read has its basis in the Old Testament.  So much so, I could use the Old Testament exclusively to preach Christianity, which is exactly what the Apostles did.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2008, 12:39:56 PM »

I was aware of all that. That's why I was curious why you were quoting the New Testament above. Was it to show that Judaism influenced Christianity? Or was there another point?

it was to show how Christianity fulfilled spiritually what the physical circumcision had foreshadowed.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2008, 01:17:29 PM »

I was aware of all that. That's why I was curious why you were quoting the New Testament above. Was it to show that Judaism influenced Christianity? Or was there another point?

it was to show how Christianity fulfilled spiritually what the physical circumcision had foreshadowed.

Oh, I thought we were discussing Judaism though, not how Christianity fulfills the commandments of Judaism. That could be a whole different thread.

If it's jmfcst, assume that any religious conversation is a lot more about Christianity than whatever is actually being discussed.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2008, 01:45:52 PM »

Oh, I thought we were discussing Judaism though, not how Christianity fulfills the commandments of Judaism. That could be a whole different thread.

If it's jmfcst, assume that any religious conversation is a lot more about Christianity than whatever is actually being discussed.

For you, that was a decent attempt at humor.  It might actually have been funny...

...except for the fact ALL the scriptural based portions of Judaism are about nothing but Christ.

John 5:39 "You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me"
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2008, 01:47:33 PM »
« Edited: December 09, 2008, 01:50:07 PM by Alcon »

For you, that was a decent attempt at humor.  It might actually have been funny...

...except for the fact ALL the scriptural based portions of Judaism are about nothing but Christ.

John 5:39 "You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me"

You're right!  Biblical scripture is much funnier.  Sincerest apologies.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #171 on: December 09, 2008, 02:47:37 PM »

relax, I wasn't saying you weren't funny, just that your humor isn't
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #172 on: December 09, 2008, 03:11:24 PM »

relax, I wasn't saying you weren't funny, just that your humor isn't

You know, we can go on with this repartee forever, but at the end you're still an old guy.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #173 on: December 09, 2008, 03:19:57 PM »

You know, we can go on with this repartee forever, but at the end you're still an old guy.

old?  ok, but I'm still cooler and better looking...and, I might add, the chicks dig me.  Smiley
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #174 on: December 10, 2008, 12:04:15 AM »
« Edited: December 10, 2008, 12:10:18 AM by Darwinian Man »

But Christ came after scripture. So wouldn't Jewish scripture be...about Judaism? I'm confused. What form of paradoxical backwards future looking are you doing there?

Just to put history into perspective for you:

Jews --> Bible --> Christ --> New Testament

Obviously with some stuff in between. So the Old Testament is about Jews. The New is about taking the Old and applying it to Jesus.

And if this is not the case, care to explain?

I really should call it a night, but...

jmfcst's argument, or, rather, Saint Paul's argument is that Jesus of Nazareth completed the Laws of Moses.  By His sacrifice, he absolved man of rites like circumcision and dietary restrictions.

EDIT:  So therefore the entire purpose of the Hebrew Scriptures would, in jmfcst's logic, be pointing to the coming of Jesus.  See Moses' prediction of a prophet like himself, Isaiah 52, etc.

I think that that's a silly way to read the Bible, but...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies