Should the AFRNC endorse Texasgurl for Senate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:28:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Should the AFRNC endorse Texasgurl for Senate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Should the AFRNC endorse Texasgurl for Senate?  (Read 1989 times)
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2004, 04:12:15 PM »
« edited: August 11, 2004, 04:21:46 PM by Senator StevenNick »

Ok, folks.  We're going to hold a vote here.  Once again, this primary of sorts is open to all registered voters on the forum.  Voting commences immediately and closes at noon EST on Friday.

Please answer this question:  Should the Atlas Forum Republican Party endorse Texasgurl for senate?  If a majority of republicans in this thread answer yes, the endorsement is hers.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 04:12:32 PM »

I vote yes.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 04:14:26 PM »

Yes
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 04:19:13 PM »

Yes
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 04:28:46 PM »

No
Justin
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 04:35:00 PM »

No.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 04:37:53 PM »

You've got to be kidding me.  She is by no sense of the word even close to the Republican party.
Justin
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 04:44:23 PM »

I think this proves we need a new and real conservative party.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 05:14:37 PM »

Iwould like to point out that i didn't ask for any endorsments except dem and UL.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 05:38:25 PM »

Although i wouldn't turn any down............
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 06:08:09 PM »

Yes

My friend in the History Section. Smiley
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2004, 06:33:17 PM »

Don't you Republicans have a private forum where you should be discussing this?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2004, 06:36:35 PM »

Have the Democrats even discussed it?
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2004, 06:39:12 PM »

Yes we have actually, and the Democrats do plan on endorsing you.  I thought you knew that.  Smiley

Oh, if my vote matters at all, I vote yes.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2004, 06:39:44 PM »

I 150% SUPPORT TEXASGURL!
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2004, 06:40:36 PM »

Yes we have actually, and the Democrats do plan on endorsing you.  I thought you knew that.  Smiley

Oh, if my vote matters at all, I vote yes.
nope i didn't know. Smiley
i didn't want to assume.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2004, 07:23:48 PM »

I belong to no party, and its certainly just one person's opinion here, but as this isn't the first time it's come up recently:

A party endorcing candidates in other parties is a dicey trend to start.  Even though there's no Republican candidate running in this race [is there?], the next election may be different, and the party had a dilema of loyalty on its hands.

There's a wide variety of subtle ways to handle candidate support without making public cross-party endorcements.  I believe it's an extremely severe option that dilutes the function of political parties to begin with.

This sort of gesture gives the impression that the people at the top are using their party affiliations to reinforce cliques of favorite pals.  (I do acknowledge that Sen. SteveNick has issued this question to the party members--not arranging it behind closed doors.)  Yet the folks in here are predominantly young and expect some reliable Party behavior "in front of the cameras," and I just think making this a habit would create a lot of bad karma in the forum.

I understand there will be a 'Zell Miller' on occasion, but he's just one guy teetering on the edge of Party identification and about to retire.  If his convictions were to endorce President Bush, he wouldn't have used Democratic Party apparatus to do it had he been holding its strings.

Behind the cameras is a whole 'nother story.  I would expect it to be no-holds barred...and certainly multi-partisan coalitions defending themselves and important policy from partisan rancor.  But for the kids who haven't climbed their way there, I think they're owed some predictability in public support behavior by the Party system.  (If I were a person of the political leanings for which this Republican Party reaches, this question even being posed by its leadership would disincline me to join.)

For the sake of endorcing candidates by criteria irrespective of party, why not form 'public interest leagues' or whatever.

Just one person's opinion.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2004, 09:49:12 PM »

As a proud member of the AFRNC, maybe I can address some of the concersn about the Republicans endorsing a member of the opposition.

1) We do not have a candidate in the district so instead of just sitting on the sidelines, we are showing that we care about the future of the 3rd district.

2) Texasgurl has shown dedication to her district and while we might not agree with her positions, we need more dedicated members in the Senate

3) Texasgurl did a very wise thing by stepping down from the Senate earlier. Why was it wise? Because she realized she would not be able to dedicate the appropriate amount of time to her duties in the Senate. She put the people she represents, before power. That is honorable.

I hope this has answered any questions concerning our endorsement.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2004, 09:59:56 PM »

It's your Party
You'll endorse if you want to
Endorse if you want to
Endorse if you want to

Wink
Just friendly (if unsolicited) advise.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2004, 10:11:21 PM »

It's your Party
You'll endorse if you want to
Endorse if you want to
Endorse if you want to

Wink
Just friendly (if unsolicited) advise.

Niles, I hope you don't think this will be a regular thing with the AFRNC (endorsing the opposition party candidate) Remember, we don't have a candidate in the district so why sit on the sidelines and not get involved for the benefit of the 3rd district?
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2004, 10:21:22 PM »

I think we should endorse her. She has been a dedication public servant to Atlasia in the past and she has also been willing to work with all members of the forum regardless of ideology. So in short, yes.
Justin
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2004, 10:30:11 PM »

As a proud member of the AFRNC, maybe I can address some of the concersn about the Republicans endorsing a member of the opposition.

1) We do not have a candidate in the district so instead of just sitting on the sidelines, we are showing that we care about the future of the 3rd district.

2) Texasgurl has shown dedication to her district and while we might not agree with her positions, we need more dedicated members in the Senate

3) Texasgurl did a very wise thing by stepping down from the Senate earlier. Why was it wise? Because she realized she would not be able to dedicate the appropriate amount of time to her duties in the Senate. She put the people she represents, before power. That is honorable.

I hope this has answered any questions concerning our endorsement.
I could move myself to the 3rd District and Run against here a United Right candidate.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2004, 11:03:26 PM »

Niles, I hope you don't think this will be a regular thing with the AFRNC (endorsing the opposition party candidate) Remember, we don't have a candidate in the district so why sit on the sidelines and not get involved for the benefit of the 3rd district?

Well, since you asked...
One of my favorite movie lines, Lawrance of Arabia, a British officer to his general: "'We can't do nothing!' 'Why not?  It's usually best.'"

Now let me say I've got nothing in the world against Texasgurl (other than the fact she deprived us of her presence here at home.  I hope she's cold.  Tongue)

But an endorcement by a Party [and not just members of the Party,  but THE Party]--representing the opposite ideological pole--is worse for that Party's agenda than doing nothing.

That's kinda important to people who care about agendas--presumably Party voters.  An average Fantasy Republican is dissapointed enough that the Seat is uncontested by their Party.  But why would that average fantasy Republican who wants anyone-but-the-most-liberal candidate to win the seat be happy about his party abandoning its platform (his/her personal beliefs) and make an endorcement that will make acheiving the agenda harder?

Does that mean Republican leaders who admire and trust Texasgurl's professionalism, dedication, and patriotism shouldn't support her?  Nope.  But it ought not to be done flaunted in the face of that Fantasy Republican.  These 'ties-that-bind' don't need to be exposed to the ire of the governed, and Parties certainly don't need to jeapordize their lifeblood, the compact with their members, to do it.

Again, I certainly don't speak for the popular waves here--and I don't have any axe to grind at all.  If that Fantasy Republican isn't apart of the fantasy for Republican players here, it's no skin off my nose.  I just feel the precedent sets up some friction for down the road.  I think it's an angle people need to think about, before the Forum gets bigger.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2004, 11:15:55 PM »

It should also be mentioned that many have observed I probably have a large amount of carbon up my posterior that is no doubt a diamond by now.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2004, 10:57:31 AM »

Demrepdan's done that. (he's voted for every bill in front of him)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Demrepdan's plenty dedicated.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Actually, she defines independence as 'Standing up for what's most politically viable,' so >P

(and before you say that's slander she told me so herself Smiley)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies