Real Presence in the Eucharist (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:10:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Real Presence in the Eucharist (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Real Presence in the Eucharist  (Read 8571 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: January 30, 2008, 12:19:30 PM »

Martin Luther to Ulrich Zwingli...

"I would rather drink blood with the pope than mere wine with the Swiss."
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 04:53:58 PM »

There's Transubstantiation and Consubstatiation.  I would argue that both imply the literal Presence.  In the Episcopal Church, when asked if we believe in Transubstantiation or Consubstantiation, we generally reply, "Yes."

My wife, however, simply affirms the elements as holy, sacred and God-ordained.  But purely symbolic.  Like me, she was raised pretty much in a fundamentalist Protestant tradition.  And she can't quite wrap her mind around some things in Catholicism, Anglicanism, Lutheranism or Orthodoxy.

She is always free and welcome to receive the host at our Episcopal services.  She would not be at a Catholic, Orthodox or Missouri Synod communion service.  Of the Lutherans, only the ELCA folks have open communion. 

As an aside, I visited my niece's church awhile ago.  Big mega church -- Evangelical, non-denominational, semi-Charismatic, in Central Ohio.  Pastor says from the pulpit, "if any of you want communion today, feel free to grab some out in the lobby.  We have some booths set up right by the coffee and doughnuts."

I kid you not.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies