US Economic growth just 0.6% in last quarter of 2007
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:49:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  US Economic growth just 0.6% in last quarter of 2007
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: US Economic growth just 0.6% in last quarter of 2007  (Read 1497 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2008, 08:57:03 AM »

Just 'breaking'. It's filtered through to the stock markets.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 12:05:52 PM »

What do you mean "filtered through the stock market"? Adjusted to inflation, those are reccesionary numbers.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 12:16:43 PM »

What do you mean "filtered through the stock market"? Adjusted to inflation, those are reccesionary numbers.

GDP is already adjusted for inflation.  not to be rude, but if you don't know that, then you really shouldn't be giving economic commentary.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 12:23:49 PM »

GDP is already adjusted for inflation.  not to be rude, but if you don't know that, then you really shouldn't be giving economic commentary.

I have taken my classes in economics and did well, thank you.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 12:29:22 PM »

then they should fire your teacher
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 12:42:13 PM »

then they should fire your teacher

Alright, I made an error.  Can we please discuss the issues?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 12:47:37 PM »

Alright, I made an error.  Can we please discuss the issues?

December wasn't a good month for US economic growth.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 01:10:29 PM »

Very good. I wasn't expecting this happen so quickly...how do you think it will pan out?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 01:15:36 PM »

Very good. I wasn't expecting this happen so quickly...how do you think it will pan out?

the Fed needs to cut 50 basis points today, 25 wouldn't be enough to calm irrational fears and 75 may cause panic (the markets may think the Fed believes the economy is worse than the market thinks it is).

There have been some good economic report recently (factory orders had a huge jump), so the glass is half-empty, but we should know by the end of February if we're in recession.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 02:15:37 PM »

Donīt know really how they calculate the 0.6% "annualized growth rate" at the BEA. As far as I know, 4th quarter 2007 GDP increased by 2.5% compared with the 4th quarter of 2006. Thatīs according to Table 8 of today's release.

GDP growth for 2007 as a whole was 2.2%:

Q1 2007: 1.5%
Q2 2007: 1.9%
Q3 2007: 2.8%
Q4 2007: 2.5%
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 02:32:54 PM »

Donīt know really how they calculate the 0.6% "annualized growth rate" at the BEA. As far as I know, 4th quarter 2007 GDP increased by 2.5% compared with the 4th quarter of 2006. Thatīs according to Table 8 of today's release.

you pulled the wrong row, but I couldn't tell where you pulled them from.  The GDP numbers from the table are:

Q1 2007: 0.6%
Q2 2007: 3.8%
Q3 2007: 4.9%
Q4 2007: 0.6%

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 02:40:23 PM »

you pulled the wrong row, but I couldn't tell where you pulled them from.  The GDP numbers from the table are:

Q1 2007: 0.6%
Q2 2007: 3.8%
Q3 2007: 4.9%
Q4 2007: 0.6%

ok, I see now...your figures are from "Percent Change From Quarter One Year Ago", the 0.6% figure is from the "Percent Change From Preceding Period and are seasonally adjusted at annual rates"
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 08:01:31 PM »

Maybe if you didn't act like such an arrogant prick the discussion here would be the better for it.  You have no idea how stupid that post made you look Jmfcst
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 09:50:02 PM »

Maybe if you didn't act like such an arrogant prick the discussion here would be the better for it.  You have no idea how stupid that post made you look Jmfcst

yeah, I was too rough; but, hey, at least I didn't look as stupid as the guy who said this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

you know, for all of you who don't think you're being taxed enough, there's nothing stopping you from making a donation towards the national debt.  I think there is even a line for it on your tax return.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 02:38:46 AM »

yeah, I was too rough; but, hey, at least I didn't look as stupid as the guy who said this:

you know, for all of you who don't think you're being taxed enough, there's nothing stopping you from making a donation towards the national debt.  I think there is even a line for it on your tax return.

Your comment is not relevant as your interlocutor has no money, jmfcst.   

Taxes are a privilege reduction imposed, just like the original income, by the state.  Most of us do not have the income of 250K or 400K, but we would like to see the State-imposed privilege of those who do reduced.  Your problem, jmfcst, is that you accept such nonsensical economic ideas, and have no understand what is income or from whence it derives.

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 10:46:38 AM »

the Fed needs to cut 50 basis points today, 25 wouldn't be enough to calm irrational fears and 75 may cause panic (the markets may think the Fed believes the economy is worse than the market thinks it is).

This statement makes me laugh. They've cut 125 basis points in 10 days, that's not a sign that the Fed's in panic? Cheesy
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 10:53:16 AM »

Most of us do not have the income of 250K or 400K

and out of the group, you're the least likely to ever reach that level of income, unless you win the lottery.  Lazy people, e.g. you, are the very last ones who should be giving economic advice.  So just shut up.

---

, but we would like to see the State-imposed privilege of those who do reduced. 

always after someone else's money

---

Your problem, jmfcst, is that you accept such nonsensical economic ideas, and have no understand what is income or from whence it derives.

my income derives from my work, and I would think there is a pretty direct correlation since when I don't show up to work, I don't get paid.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 11:18:40 AM »

This statement makes me laugh. They've cut 125 basis points in 10 days, that's not a sign that the Fed's in panic? Cheesy

yeah, there were definitely behind the curve
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 11:26:15 AM »

and out of the group, you're the least likely to ever reach that level of income, unless you win the lottery.  Lazy people, e.g. you, are the very last ones who should be giving economic advice.  So just shut up.[/quote]
You shut up. You are being a effing hypocrite going around and using Christ's name all the time and then judging other people and calling them lazy and stupid. That is not the Christian thing to do. Either stop using Bible verses all the time, or stop judging other people. After all we are all sinners.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 12:46:58 PM »

and out of the group, you're the least likely to ever reach that level of income, unless you win the lottery.  Lazy people, e.g. you, are the very last ones who should be giving economic advice.  So just shut up.

You shut up. You are being a effing hypocrite going around and using Christ's name all the time and then judging other people and calling them lazy and stupid. That is not the Christian thing to do. Either stop using Bible verses all the time, or stop judging other people. After all we are all sinners.

opebo admits that he is lazy, is it judgmental to agree wtih him?  LOL.  if you want to end up just like him, then follow his advice.  but unless he changes, he'll be exactly where he is 10 years from now.

a lot of you on this board act like opebo is to be worshipped, when, in fact, he is the one to be most pittied.  he is a user and an abuser of people.

if truth hurts, so be it.  maybe the pain will prompt action.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 12:50:35 PM »

There have been some good economic report recently (factory orders had a huge jump), so the glass is half-empty, but we should know by the end of February if we're in recession.

I mean, low interest rates are a good thing for me, but shouldn't the fed's primary concern be to combat inflation rather than trying to boost the economy or combat high unemployment (the latter isn't a problem just yet)...

It seems the fed is unwisely trying to bail out a bad market and bad fiscal policy.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 02:27:54 PM »

and out of the group, you're the least likely to ever reach that level of income, unless you win the lottery.  Lazy people, e.g. you, are the very last ones who should be giving economic advice.  So just shut up.

opebo admits that he is lazy, is it judgmental to agree wtih him?  LOL.  if you want to end up just like him, then follow his advice.  but unless he changes, he'll be exactly where he is 10 years from now.

a lot of you on this board act like opebo is to be worshipped, when, in fact, he is the one to be most pittied.  he is a user and an abuser of people.

if truth hurts, so be it.  maybe the pain will prompt action.
I personally think that Opebo is a crazy wanker, but still don't insult other people, because they are "lazy". I am a little lazy but I still understand the Economy.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 03:16:39 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2008, 04:41:31 PM by jmfcst »

I personally think that Opebo is a crazy wanker, but still don't insult other people, because they are "lazy". I am a little lazy but I still understand the Economy.

he's more than a little lazy, but I’ll step off
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 04:43:25 PM »

I usually disagree with you, but you're 100% right about opebo, who seems like a vulgar fellow who got high reading Das Kapital one day and turned the insights of that experience into a worldview.

yeah, but don't get me wrong, I like opebo and could probably be good friends with him
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 06:22:15 PM »

Opebo works as hard as he has to in order to live.  That is human nature.  A lot of hunter/gatherer societies spent a few hours a day getting their day's food and then they sat around for the rest of the time.  They had a lot of idle time.  Where do you think they came up with philosophical thought?  Music?  Games?  Good recipes?  (OMG.. WARNING)  Religion?

It wasn't the anus clenched shut work until you die and then work some more Puritan mindset that has been ingrained into the American psyche, that's for sure!

Unfortunately, our system is fatally flawed, in that we deny the opportunities to people who could best make use of them.  The genius math lover from the projects will likely never get ahead because he will be forced to sit in math class with everybody else and he'll get frustrated and bored and will seek drugs to escape and then be written off as a no good druggie.

Or the person who is an amazing artist, but doesn't have the knowledge or the resources to get their works out to the public, so he settles for carpentry and spends his life busting his back when his real love is for art.  He loves to paint, but alas, the mortgage must be paid.  And rather than doing what he loves, he has to do what is available to get by.

In our society it is not "you can be whatever you want to be", unless you're rich and have the resources and idle time to seek an education in such a field and then have the connections to get into that field.  Instead, you do what the market needs at the wage the market pays.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies