What does your Username mean - - - Redux
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:47:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What does your Username mean - - - Redux
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What does your Username mean - - - Redux  (Read 7208 times)
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2005, 10:52:05 AM »

The Defarge family are a pair of revolutionaries in Tale of Two Cities.  Since I don't knit, I prefer to think that I'm Mr. Defarge Smiley
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2005, 10:56:55 AM »

Like Defarge, I take my username from a literary character as well.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2005, 11:13:26 AM »

My username is a portion of my last name.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2005, 01:13:24 PM »

it's my name
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2005, 01:33:42 PM »

"Daniel" Is my name. "X" is just a kewl letter (no, it has nothing to do with Professor X, Dr. X, Malcolm X, the X-Men, X-rays, or anyone named Xavier).
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2005, 01:50:59 PM »

My username is Max Power because my name is Max Power.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2005, 02:04:57 PM »

I really like Star Wars.

Master=Highest rank of the Jedi
Jedi=Great guys made up by Geore Lucas

So....MasterJedi! Grin
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2005, 03:38:48 PM »

I like the letter Q.  It's the most visually interesting letter to me, and its dependence on the letter u in the English language has long intrigued me.  It has nothing to do with characters from Star Trek or James Bond or any other work of fiction.

I used to have the license plate "QQQQQQ," which is my full username.  My car came to be known among my friends as the "Q-mobile."  It has retained its nickname despite that I have since changed the plate to "1234567."

I guess I just have a soft spot for the letter Q.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2005, 03:41:47 PM »

I used to have the license plate "QQQQQQ," which is my full username.
Hahaha!!! That's awesome!! My license plate will be HITNRUN.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2005, 03:49:29 PM »

I got so many looks with that one.  I'd watch people in the rearview mirror trying to sound it out.  But that's the beauty of the Q!  It has no pronunciation of its own in English.  People would try to think of some hidden message it actually represented, like a stock symbol or something, but nope, just a string of Q's.

That would be a funny one, Casey, but the DMV might reject that as "offensive."  If I lived in Pennsylvania, I know exactly what plate I'd have.  PA plates are unique in that the letters are shorter than the numbers.  So a zero and the letter O actually look different, unlike most states.  If you got either 0O0O0O0 or O0O0O0O, it would look pretty crazy, with every other letter shorter than the rest.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2005, 03:53:34 PM »

I got so many looks with that one.  I'd watch people in the rearview mirror trying to sound it out.  But that's the beauty of the Q!  It has no pronunciation of its own in English.  People would try to think of some hidden message it actually represented, like a stock symbol or something, but nope, just a string of Q's.

That would be a funny one, Casey, but the DMV might reject that as "offensive."  If I lived in Pennsylvania, I know exactly what plate I'd have.  PA plates are unique in that the letters are shorter than the numbers.  So a zero and the letter O actually look different, unlike most states.  If you got either 0O0O0O0 or O0O0O0O, it would look pretty crazy, with every other letter shorter than the rest.
Hahaha!! That sounds like a good one. Plus, if I get involved in a crime, there must be a person with an all zero plate! Grin
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2005, 04:04:41 PM »

Well, chickens are my favourite bird. and since i was lazy, i came up with the spanglish name KillerPollo.

also the states rights part of my name, came for the purpose of giving awareness to people that Mexico has the same kind of administrative divisions as the US. even a federal district.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2005, 04:45:43 PM »

It's my first name.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2005, 09:34:47 AM »

"The Vorlon" is a character from the old TV Sc-Fi series Babylon 5.

It is also the name of one of my cats.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2005, 10:20:59 AM »

My initials are J. and J., but my middle initial is M.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2005, 11:26:15 AM »

CARL T. HAYDEN, 1877-1972

Carl Trumbull Hayden, US Representative and US Senator, was born in Hayden's Ferry (now Tempe), Maricopa County Arizona, October 2, 1877. After attending public schools, he graduated from the Normal School of the Territory of Arizona at Tempe in 1896. He attended Stanford University in California, 1896-1900, where he met Nan Downing, later his wife. His family's mercantile enterprises and the flour-milling business in his hometown of Tempe claimed his attention, 1900-1904. He served as a member of the Tempe Town Council, 1902-1904, and as a delegate to the Democratic National Convention at St. Louis in 1904. His first full-time elective office was treasurer of Maricopa County, 1904-1906, followed by sheriff of Maricopa County, 1907-1912.

After admission of Arizona as a state in the Union he was elected as a Democrat to the 62nd and to the next seven Congresses, serving from February 19, 1912 to March 3, 1927. During the First World War he was commissioned a major in the US Army. He was elected to the US Senate in 1926 for the term commencing March 4, 1927 and was reelected in 1932, 1938, 1944, 1950, 1956 and again in 1962 for the term ending January 3, 1969. Hayden was not a candidate in 1968 for reelection to the Senate. The Arizona senator was president pro-tempore of the Senate, January 1957-January 1969.

Carl Hayden, as he was known in politics, was arguably the single most important individual in shaping Arizona's rapid growth from a sparsely settled, arid frontier territory near the beginning of the twentieth century to a modern urban state in the last half of the century.

Hayden's pioneer father, Charles Trumbull Hayden, founded Tempe and was a leader in establishing what is now Arizona State University. His mother, Sallie, was active in the first stirring of women's political activism, and sisters Mary (Mapes) and Sallie were active outside their homes. Carl married Nan Downing, a southern California high school teacher, in 1908.

As a twenty-five-year-old Carl Hayden travelled to Washington to lobby for the Salt River Project as Congress debated the Federal Reclamation Act in 1902. Ten years later he returned as Arizona's first congressman. After election to the Senate in 1926, he became known as the "silent senator", but nonetheless influenced federal policymaking in natural resource development, water reclamation, and land-use management.

Hayden's early education was the beginning of a lifetime spent in public affairs. He characterized his role in the Congress as that of a "workhorse" rather than that of a "show-horse". While his career appears to have been planned in advance, there were roadblocks along the way. One major obstruction occurred when adverse family finances necessitated his dropping out of the university before he could achieve a law degree. On the other hand, Arizona achieved admission as a state at an opportune moment in Hayden's career. He made a political career as a Democrat starting early in a century when that party was to play a dominant role in national politics.

Throughout his public career Carl Hayden exhibited a continuing concern for natural resources. Mining and cattle raising were important in the Arizona Territory when Hayden first entered politics. By the time of Hayden's service as county sheriff, Maricopa County had quieted down and was ready for transformation into irrigated farming-ranching. Carl Hayden's father had inaugurated ferry service across the Salt River at the site of Tempe; the railroad was reality and the new automobile created a need for faster travel and transport via new highways.

The Salt River and Yuma water projects were approved and got underway before the First World War. By the end of the 1920's the flow of the Colorado River itself was divided by Congress, water storage and diversion dams were built on the Gila River, and Congress approved construction of a high storage and hydroelectric dam in Boulder Canyon (now Hoover Dam) after a filibuster by Arizona Senators Henry F. Ashurst and Hayden. The annual floods of the Colorado were near an end.

Senator Hayden co-authored the Hayden-Cartwright Act in the mid 1930's, which was aimed in part at putting unemployed men back to work during the Great Depression. Federal funds were to be used to match funds from the state governments for highway planning and construction. The approach of the Second World War closed the Depression era, and ushered in military and air base construction in the South, the West, and Arizona as well. He staunchly gave support to the war effort in the early 1940's, and was a supporter of US policies in Europe following the Second World War aimed at containing and reversing Soviet strategic intiatives.

Carl Hayden consistently advocated establishing a system of national parks and monuments, protecting national forests, educationl and health programs for Indian peoples, while developing the nation's economy by such programs as water storage and hydropower. He concerned himself with immigration matters and the international border with Mexico, and with wildlife, recreation and wilderness areas. Early in his public life he supported womens' suffrage, but later had reservations about the Equal Rights Amendment. He was a late supporter of civil rights and Medicare.

Bringing water from the Colorado River to central Arizona had assumed increasing priority for the Arizona Congressional delegation for nearly half a century, but first necessitated a US Supreme Court decision and overcoming California's opposition. The legislative climax of Hayden's career was approval in 1968 of the nation's largest water project, the Central Arizona Project (CAP), to transport Colorado River water to Phoenix and Tucson via a series of aqueducts.

Hayden's political power came from his uninterrupted service (seniority) in the Senate, his committee work, especially for chairing the annual hearings on water reclamation bills, and as chairman of the Appropriations Committee.

From his first election to Congress until his final retirement he never lost an election, and typically faced weak or no opponents at election time. His nearly fifty-seven years in Congress is a record likely to stand. During the first part of his service in Congress Hayden represented one of the nation's least populous states, but Arizona growth surged ahead of the national growth rate following mid-century. Electronics and tourism were new leaders of Arizona's economy.

Retired, he resided in Tempe, Arizona, and died in Mesa, Arizona, January 25, 1972. Following cremation, ashes were interred in the family plot at the Tempe Butte Cemetary, Tempe, Arizona.

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2005, 11:58:21 AM »

LiberalPA-......uuuhhh...i think this one speaks for itself. im a liberal in PA. there you go. Smiley
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2005, 08:02:52 PM »

my intials are MAS, my favorite number is 7, my birthday is the 11th, but basically when i made the screen name i wasnt thinking about my birthday, MAS117 just looked good, lol.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2005, 09:17:28 PM »

nini was an old nickname from middle school (a variation of my first name-Nick) and 2287 is my birthday.
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2005, 10:55:22 PM »

Freedomburns is a reference to the Ray Bradbury novel, Fahrenheit 451.

In Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury's classic, frightening vision of the future, firemen don't put out fires--they start them in order to burn books. Bradbury's vividly painted society holds up the appearance of happiness as the highest goal--a place where trivial information is good, and knowledge and ideas are bad. Fire Captain Beatty explains it this way, "Give the people contests they win by remembering the words to more popular songs.... Don't give them slippery stuff like philosophy or sociology to tie things up with. That way lies melancholy."

Guy Montag is a book-burning fireman undergoing a crisis of faith. His wife spends all day with her television "family," imploring Montag to work harder so that they can afford a fourth TV wall. Their dull, empty life sharply contrasts with that of his next-door neighbor Clarisse, a young girl thrilled by the ideas in books, and more interested in what she can see in the world around her than in the mindless chatter of the tube. When Clarisse disappears mysteriously, Montag is moved to make some changes, and starts hiding books in his home. Eventually, his wife turns him in, and he must answer the call to burn his secret cache of books. After fleeing to avoid arrest, Montag winds up joining an outlaw band of scholars who keep the contents of books in their heads, waiting for the time society will once again need the wisdom of literature.

The disturbing thing about the book is that, unlike many other books that deal with the distant future, "Fahrenheit 451" (written in 1953) hasn't been proved wrong simply by time itself. Not at all. Actually, what is shocking to realize is that we've come quite close to the society Bradbury writes about. Perhaps books haven't been banned yet, but it is indeed the entertainment industry that controls people's minds.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2005, 11:47:25 PM »

Mine's fairly self explanatory. Saguaro cactuses are often called giant cactuses and grow only in the very southwestern United States. You can't miss them as they can grow up to 60 feet tall and are actually quite an interesting plant. Largest cactus in the U.S. for sure, I don't know about the world.

I like cacti, so it seemed kind of a different sort of name to pick. The Old Man Cactus and Saguaro are favorites off the top of my head.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2005, 11:58:54 PM »

I knew an old man cactus. He was quite a prick. Wink
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2005, 12:06:10 AM »

I knew an old man cactus. He was quite a prick. Wink

Heh! He must've been in a bad mood - not enough sun. They're usually pretty friendly, no thorns or jaggers. Smiley

Watch out for those Jumping Chollas, ho boy.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2005, 10:41:43 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2005, 11:26:31 AM by jmfcst »

I couldn't sleep last night and I figured our what it means.

JM is his initials.  Jacques Martiquette possibly.

FCST = from central southern texas.  He's from Houston and the location of Houston fits that description.

I am flattered that you're thinking of me so late at night! Wink

But I thought I already informed the board a couple of years ago that it could mean: Jostle-Meddling-Foreigners, Can't-Stand-Trolls
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies