My Problem
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:22:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  My Problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My Problem  (Read 1352 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:31:43 PM »

Recently I've been wondering if I even want to be a Democrat anymore, I'm not saying I'm going to become a Republican, but I'm thinking of just registering as an independent.  The Democratic party I feel closest to is not todays Democratic party.  I am more like a Democrat of 1928-68.  Ever since the nomination of McGovern we've been moving furthur left, beyond where I feel I'd like to go.  I need some advice on this.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 10:35:49 PM »

The New Democrats are alive and well. I rip them a lot (though maybe not much on this forum), but the Democrats are not all clones of myself; the term moderate Democrat is very real.

That said, registration doesn't really matter. What sort of primary does MD have?
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 10:37:11 PM »

You should register as a Libertarian. Go on, mate. Make a difference.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 10:38:03 PM »

Closed.  I personally consider myself a Jim Webb Democrat policy wise.  And btw, Libertarianism is the most worthless philosophy I can think of.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 10:39:02 PM »

Then by all means register as a Democrat, if you want a voice.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 10:41:05 PM »

Recently I've been wondering if I even want to be a Democrat anymore, I'm not saying I'm going to become a Republican, but I'm thinking of just registering as an independent.  The Democratic party I feel closest to is not todays Democratic party.  I am more like a Democrat of 1928-68.  Ever since the nomination of McGovern we've been moving furthur left, beyond where I feel I'd like to go.  I need some advice on this.

I hear you -you are where I was two years ago at this time. 
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 10:43:19 PM »

I hear you -you are where I was two years ago at this time. 

And where are you now?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 10:52:44 PM »

I also think of myself as a New Deal/Great Society Democrat, and I think that our party was at its best during that period. I think that the candidates we presented, from Roosevelt to Truman to Kennedy to Johnson to Humphrey, were all first-class statesmen, and all championed and, when elected, implemented policies that helped not just the top few Americans, but all Americans.

I don't think, however, that it's fair to criticize the party for moving to the left. It hasn't. It's moved to the right. We've given up on the New Deal outlook that was so successful both electorally and for regular working class people. That's why I was drawn to John Edwards: for the first time in a long time, he sounded like a Democrat that cared about working people, that wanted to reach out to them again. That's why I'm also a big fan of Jim Webb, who is an unabashed economic populist.

Sure, we've gone to the left on social issues, but so has society. In the 50s, it was taboo for a white girl and a black boy, or vice versa, to hold hands. In some places, that would get them lynched. Socially, we've moved so far beyond that in the last 50 years. Now we're at a point that most Americans realize that most decisions regarding one's private life should be personal decisions, and the Democratic party is ready to vigorously protect those rights of privacy. If that makes us too leftist, then yes, we're too leftist. If standing up for gays and women and minorities and sick people (medical marijuana), to make their own personal, private choices, makes us too far to the left, then we're too far to the left. But that's fine with me, because I want my part to fight for ordinary people, to ensure that they have opportunity and security in our economy and privacy in their private lives.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 02:46:18 AM »

You're crazy if you think the Democratic Party has been moving left.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 08:15:31 AM »

Become an Independent and be HAPPY!  Smiley 
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 10:11:19 AM »

I also think of myself as a New Deal/Great Society Democrat, and I think that our party was at its best during that period. I think that the candidates we presented, from Roosevelt to Truman to Kennedy to Johnson to Humphrey, were all first-class statesmen, and all championed and, when elected, implemented policies that helped not just the top few Americans, but all Americans.

Since when was that more moderate?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 10:24:48 AM »

First of all, looking at your political compass numbers, you're to the left of me.

Second, and more importantly..."we've been moving further left?"  Are you joking?  Franklin Roosevelt was a leftist.  Lyndon Johnson was.  Bill/Hillary Clinton?  Hardly. 
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 10:29:19 AM »

As a foreigner I can tell you that the perception over here is that since the 80s the Ds have moved increasingly to the centre and are now just "Republicans lite".

But you should ignore everything the MSM says here and over there too; it clutters up too much. I don't really see either potential nominee as much different than the previous ones.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 10:31:04 AM »

If your problem is with the direction of the Democratic Party post-68, then your problem isn't with the Party moving to the Left so much as it moving to the Right while also becoming much more socially permissive and focused on various minority groups rather than on the Working Class.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 11:50:43 AM »

If your problem is with the direction of the Democratic Party post-68, then your problem isn't with the Party moving to the Left so much as it moving to the Right while also becoming much more socially permissive and focused on various minority groups rather than on the Working Class.

Thats what I mean, not so much to the left but more in the pocket of leftist groups.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 05:22:17 PM »

I think it’s best if you stay a Democrat. I’m much closer to Libertarian ideals then I am to the current Republican party, but I remain a Republican to vote in their primary’s. If you want a specific brand of Democrats to be better represented in your party stay in it and vote  for them in the primary’s. Then if your party goes ahead and nominates someone your not ideologically compatible with, vote for someone else in the general. Just my thoughts though.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 07:34:18 PM »

Stay as a Democrat. Just because the majority of Democrats are not your type doesn't mean they're outlawed and persecuted within the party.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 10:20:21 PM »

Thats what I mean, not so much to the left but more in the pocket of leftist groups.

The DLC is a "leftist group" now?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 06:40:14 PM »

I'd stay as a Democrat.  Remember, there are groups within the Party that you can identify with.  I consider myself a member of the DLC, you could join us.  There are better options than jumping ship.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies