Two Guesses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:55:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Two Guesses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
Author Topic: Two Guesses  (Read 68895 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2008, 09:09:35 PM »

I was hungry and ate the pigeon before I got all the details.

It's too early to tell, but it is possible.

So, just "big government" in general....with the uncertainities being on social issues. Heck, social issues might not change at all... just economic ones.

AW, I listed a series of "might be" options.  You asked about one.  I'm saying, watch for major changes.  I can see something coming, but I don't know what.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 10:56:42 PM »

So, just "big government" in general....with the uncertainities being on social issues. Heck, social issues might not change at all... just economic ones.

AW, I listed a series of "might be" options.  You asked about one.  I'm saying, watch for major changes.  I can see something coming, but I don't know what.

Sounds reasonable. But if the country pushes further right, would that count as a realignment?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2008, 11:13:46 PM »

Sounds reasonable. But if the country pushes further right, would that count as a realignment?

Countries don't necessarily just move in a left-right fashion.  The country may move right in some areas and left in some others, with consensus being reached on certain issues at the same time.  Complicated stuff.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2008, 11:59:50 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2008, 12:03:51 AM by Angry Weasel »

Countries don't necessarily just move in a left-right fashion.  The country may move right in some areas and left in some others, with consensus being reached on certain issues at the same time.  Complicated stuff.
Well then.... What do you see personally? You can just defer to J.J. on this....eating his sacrifices....shameful.

Do we even know what to look for?

For example, 2008 could be this country's new progressive emergence in the dems win or the final triumph of militarism/neo-conservatism with the final election of John McCain. Basically, the entire 2002-2008 realignment could just be towards expansionism.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2008, 12:22:30 PM »

In general, a re-alignment produces changes in:

1.  Electoral behavior (who votes for whom).

2.  Electioneering tactics (how a campaign is run). 

3.  Candidate recruitment (who runs).

4.  Elite coalition behavior (who sides with whom).

5.  Formulation of public policy (after the election, what difference does it make).

Now, I would argue that there were changes in all of these after the 1978-84 realignment.

How these changes will work after the next re-alignment, I don't know.

Even in 1984, I did not expect everything that we saw in the post 1984 political world.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2008, 10:26:45 PM »

You mean the change of voting blocs?
You mean whether you push to or from the center?
You mean how moderate and radical the candidates are?
You mean what comprises the main parties?
5.  Formulation of public policy (after the election, what difference does it make).
You mean the actual changes in the law?
Now, I would argue that there were changes in all of these after the 1978-84 realignment.

Even in 1984, I did not expect everything that we saw in the post 1984 political world.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2008, 10:32:17 PM »

1.  Yes.

2.  No.

3.  No.

4.  No.

5.  Somewhat, but also in terms of policy.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2008, 10:40:32 PM »

The two ideas you gave us seems to me, at least, that there are two real possibilities-

- A new progressive era of class politics and victorian culture

I sincerely doubt THAT is ever going to happen.  Tongue

Ah, but think of the clothes!  I'm really looking forward to my monacle and mutton chops.

And the music!  "I am the Captain of the Pinafore..."
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2008, 10:45:40 PM »

The two ideas you gave us seems to me, at least, that there are two real possibilities-

Ah, but think of the clothes!  I'm really looking forward to my monacle and mutton chops.

Bow, Bow, ye lower middle classes.  Bow, bow, ye tradesman, bow ye masses.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 12:09:06 AM »

Bow, Bow, ye lower middle classes.  Bow, bow, ye tradesman, bow ye masses.

Every heart and every hand ... welcomes thee to fairyland. I did so enjoy designing lights back in '79 for the Peer and the Peri.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2008, 01:40:12 AM »

I would be completely fine with a political reallingment of some sort. I think these past 30 years or so have done much to hurt and weaken America, its time we enact some real reforms and stop thinking about the present and instead focus on the future.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2008, 11:28:34 AM »

1.  Yes.

2.  No.

3.  No.

4.  No.

could you elaborate,then?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2008, 01:51:19 AM »

1.  Yes.

2.  No.

3.  No.

4.  No.

could you elaborate,then?

I did.

The re-alignment will not take place in this cycle.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2008, 03:52:25 AM »

I would be completely fine with a political reallingment of some sort. I think these past 30 years or so have done much to hurt and weaken America, its time we enact some real reforms and stop thinking about the present and instead focus on the future.

Well, JJ seems to be predicting even more of the right wing policies that have hurt and weakened america (or to be more precisely the vast majority of americans) over the last 30 years... not less.

I think it is true that the nonsense ideologies of the right, such as individual responsibility and the Horatio Alger myth, remain just as embedded in the upcoming generations.  On the 'social' side I'm not quite so sure that the hateful intolerance is increasing, but it is true that it is too optimistic to say it is going away.

One wonders, however, just how far a realignment can go against reason and evidence - most americans been getting poorer for 30 years.. will they continue to embrace the policies that made this occur for another 30?  It is possible.

Ultimately people are almost unbelievably controlled by their programming. 

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2008, 09:44:23 AM »

Well, JJ seems to be predicting even more of the right wing policies that have hurt and weakened america (or to be more precisely the vast majority of americans) over the last 30 years... not less.

I think it is true that the nonsense ideologies of the right, such as individual responsibility and the Horatio Alger myth, remain just as embedded in the upcoming generations.  On the 'social' side I'm not quite so sure that the hateful intolerance is increasing, but it is true that it is too optimistic to say it is going away.

One wonders, however, just how far a realignment can go against reason and evidence - most americans been getting poorer for 30 years.. will they continue to embrace the policies that made this occur for another 30?  It is possible.

Poor Opebo, the syphilis has finally affected his brain.

I've posted that I don't know what the changes will look like, only that I think there is a likelihood that there will be major changes.  Left, right, some entirely different direction, I don't know.

BTW, we no longer need Horatio Alger.  We have Oprah Winfrey and Barack Obama.  Smiley
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2008, 11:58:57 AM »

Poor Opebo, the syphilis has finally affected his brain.

I've posted that I don't know what the changes will look like, only that I think there is a likelihood that there will be major changes.  Left, right, some entirely different direction, I don't know.

BTW, we no longer need Horatio Alger.  We have Oprah Winfrey and Barack Obama.  Smiley

Is a further right-wing strengthening even a realignment? Perhaps it is just continuation of the current one.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 01:27:31 PM »

Is a further right-wing strengthening even a realignment? Perhaps it is just continuation of the current one.

Yes, and the changes may not fit the traditional left-wing/right-wing mold.  The McKinley re-alignment was not a party change, but there were difference.

If I can use an analogy:

I'm standing on a straight dirt road on a dry, relatively level, plain.  I look up the road, miles away and see a dust cloud, moving own the road.  It's probably not a dust devil, but what is it?

1.  A group of people walking and kicking up dust?

2.  A horse?  A horse with a rider? 

3. A vehicle?  A moped? A Segway?  An ATV?  A car?  A pickup truck?  A tractor trailer?  A motercycle?  A tank?  A horse and buggy?

4.  How many?  One?  Two dozen?

5.  How far?  Probably not within one or two miles, but maybe 5 or 10.

I can see that something is coming, but I don't know what.  I may like what is coming , but I may not either.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2008, 01:29:56 PM »

Just for the record, you might want to look at the works of V. O. Key regarding re-alignments.

Also, I probably won't be one after the next one. Smiley
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2008, 03:59:05 PM »

V.O. Keys? Gotcha.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »

No, "Key," no "s" on the end.  Here is some background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V.O._Key,_Jr.

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2008, 09:22:11 AM »

Race and class will become less important, but economic wellbeing will be critical and religion will be a major factor. Expect a huge tug-of-war between the reliious right and the secularist left. It'll be messy.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2008, 09:35:16 AM »

Race and class will become less important, but economic wellbeing will be critical and religion will be a major factor. Expect a huge tug-of-war between the reliious right and the secularist left. It'll be messy.

It could be, or, conversely, we could see a reduction in the importance of moral issues.  The collapse of Huckabee could be a harbinger of that.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2008, 11:53:55 AM »

It could be, or, conversely, we could see a reduction in the importance of moral issues.  The collapse of Huckabee could be a harbinger of that.

....yeah. That's what I am thinking. Our coming generation of voters don't really care, either way, about abortion, gays or the choice of herbs you inhale. Things could go back to class warring (some indications are very clear this will be the case, some indications show that JJ's agrued point of a classless society are coming to fruition and the fact that people LOVE voting against their economic interest on both sides). Yes, Huckabee is collapsing...the fact that there is something the matter with Mississippi AND California...leaves race and maybe source of income as the next source of culture war. 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »

I don't know which way the country will be going, only that there will a massive change.  I don't expect it this year.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2008, 08:11:03 PM »

Didn't this already happen in 1988-1996?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies