Third Amendment to Article III, Section 2, Clause 2 of the OSPR [Passed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:57:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Third Amendment to Article III, Section 2, Clause 2 of the OSPR [Passed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Third Amendment to Article III, Section 2, Clause 2 of the OSPR [Passed]  (Read 4147 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2008, 08:54:21 PM »
« edited: February 22, 2008, 07:55:04 PM by Verily »

Third Amendment to Article III, Section 2, Clause 2 of the OSPR

Article 3 Section 2 Clause 2 of the Official Senate Procedural Resolution is hereby amended to read as follows: “2. There shall be eight slots available for debating legislation on the Senate floor. Of these slots, three shall be available for any purpose; two shall be available for any purpose except the debating of Amendments to the Constitution; one shall be available only for legislation that the PPT considers to be related to forum affairs or emergency legislation which can be introduced pursuant to Article 7, Section 1 of this resolution; one shall be available for any piece of legislation, regardless of its location in the queue, at the PPT's discretion; and one shall be available for debating veto overrides pursuant to Article 5, Section 3.”

(Sponsor: Moderate)

For reference, the current text:
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Note to Jas: This goes in Forum Affairs.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 09:08:23 PM »

I'm glad to see this come to the floor so quickly.

The point of the bill, of course, is to give the Senate the ability to discuss current events both domestic and international by creating a slot independent of the queue.

As such, the only change to current Senate proceedure caused by this bill is creating one more slot which can be filled by any bill in the queue at the PPT's discretion.

It creates a modest new power for the PPT, which will hopefully (1) increase interest in the PPT slot, perhaps creating competition for the slot at the start of the next Senate; (2) quickly whittle down the queue by creating a new slot; and (3) encourage Senators to propose new legislation knowing that anything they propose will hit the floor during that Senate, and not some Senate 6 or 8 months down the road.

I mean, seriously, we just finished debating DWTL's bills about a month ago.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 10:28:39 AM »

Sounds like a good idea to me.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 04:37:26 PM »

As PPT, I must say that this would substantially increase the efficiency of Senate legislation as we would be able to move on directly to important legislation over legislation that is likely to be tedious, contentious, or otherwise time-consuming without having to declare legislation emergency-related.

Obviously, it gives additional power to the PPT in determining the agenda. As there is no realistic way of making the selection of such legislation to move forward less biased, the PPT's discretion seems sufficient to myself, especially as the Senate will elect a new PPT each session and may force a PPT out if his or her decisions are sufficiently unpopular.

I fully endorse this legislation and look forward to reading others' opinions on the matter.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 06:03:36 PM »

Are there any additional points to be made on this legislation? If not, I will move for a vote once debate ceases.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 06:58:46 PM »

I propose an amendment to change "eight" to "ten" and the first "three" to "five".
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 09:06:46 PM »

I propose an amendment to change "eight" to "ten" and the first "three" to "five".

I'd be fine with that.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 12:10:01 AM »

I'm a bit wary about creating so many new legislative slots at once without a dire need to eat into the queue (which has seemingly become more managable in the last few months at least).

I'll support the bill for final passage either way, but I think I'm leaning against the amendment.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 08:53:27 PM »

I do agree that the extra slots do not seem to be strictly necessary. If the support exists for them, I'm fine with it, but I would not say that they are needed.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 11:36:22 PM »

I believe a moderate sized queue is a good thing.  It keeps the Senate going for a little while should there be a period of few new bill introductions.

The main point of my bill isn't so much to eat into the queue, but to give the Senate the ability to discuss current events (domestic and international) and to encourage Senators to introduce legislation to do just that.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 11:48:26 PM »

It took until my re-election campaign for my bills I introduced in my first week to get to the floor. I think we're safe to add a couple of extra slots to move things along. It will wipe some of the last of the arcane American system left in Atlasia right off the map.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 12:39:48 PM »

It took until my re-election campaign for my bills I introduced in my first week to get to the floor. I think we're safe to add a couple of extra slots to move things along. It will wipe some of the last of the arcane American system left in Atlasia right off the map.

There's almost nothing American about the way the Senate handles new bills.  The idea that any Senator can propose a bill and see it voted on by the full Senate is certainly not something that happens in the U.S. Senate (if there ever was a thing).
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 11:10:50 PM »

There's almost nothing American about the way the Senate handles new bills.  The idea that any Senator can propose a bill and see it voted on by the full Senate is certainly not something that happens in the U.S. Senate (if there ever was a thing).
Thats my point. Theres only tiny traces of it here, and we can kill them here.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 11:14:12 PM »

I like this idea. Get things through the queue faster and more efficiently.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 12:13:03 AM »

The amount of legislation already allowed on the floor virtually assures that anything that deals with a noncontroversial issue is ignored and left to pass without debate.

If it's an emergency, we have procedures to bring that bill forward.  If it's not an emergency, it can wait its turn like any other bill.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 12:25:11 AM »

The amount of legislation already allowed on the floor virtually assures that anything that deals with a noncontroversial issue is ignored and left to pass without debate.

That's unlikely to change regardless of how many slots there are.  I mean, what's the point in debating something that we all agree on?

That's one of the main problems about having naught but liberals and liberal-minded moderates here in the Senate, but I digress.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 12:41:28 AM »

That's one of the main problems about having naught but liberals and liberal-minded moderates here in the Senate, but I digress.

If we're all liberals (which we most certainly are not), then perhaps a better classification would be between those who understand basic things like using the term "United States" is not a covert attempt to drastically alter Atlasian foreign policy and those who don't.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 01:36:35 AM »

If we're all liberals (which we most certainly are not), then perhaps a better classification would be between those who understand basic things like using the term "United States" is not a covert attempt to drastically alter Atlasian foreign policy and those who don't.

We're for debate except for when we're against it.  Sad
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 04:33:32 PM »

We are now voting on the following amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

Abstain, tentatively.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 04:34:43 PM »

Nay.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama