For Those of You Who Believe in Strict Creationism...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:04:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  For Those of You Who Believe in Strict Creationism...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: For Those of You Who Believe in Strict Creationism...  (Read 3733 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2008, 03:13:57 AM »

who was Cain's wife/Enoch's mother?  For that matter, where did any of these people come from with whom the "first" humans were married and had children?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:50:23 PM »

who was Cain's wife/Enoch's mother?  For that matter, where did any of these people come from with whom the "first" humans were married and had children?

Ask the white supremacists who Cain "married".  Their opinions on the matter are...uhhh...shall we say, "distressing"....

Great question, btw, Soulty -- one the absolutists can never adequately answer, except to suggest that God temporarily permitted incest.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 09:34:14 PM »

One of the many reasons I stopped believing that the Bible was perfectly accurate at age four (literally).
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 09:53:54 PM »

5:3  And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth:   
5:4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:

Cain married his sister.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 09:59:36 PM »

5:3  And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth:   
5:4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:

Cain married his sister.

But the Bible very clearly forbids incest.  Thus, he would have had to have married a non-existant woman.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 10:01:10 PM »

One of the many reasons I stopped believing that the Bible was perfectly accurate at age four (literally).

The problem here isn't that the Bible is inaccurate.  I believe that the author got the point they were trying to make across.  Its the fault of the people who think that the author intended this to be taken literally.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 10:03:11 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2008, 05:04:32 PM by Sir Roderic Murgatroyd, 21st Baronet Ruddigore »

Cain married his sister.

But the Bible very clearly forbids incest.  Thus, he would have had to have married a non-existant woman.

Just for argument's sake...Cain was a man who killed his own brother, and God didn't take a real light to fratricide.  Do you think the prohibition against incest would have kept Cain from going after one of his little sisters?  (Or his mother: Eve was still around, remember.)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 10:40:05 PM »

Cain married his sister.

Now, I'm an atheist, not an apologist, but just for argument's sake...Cain is a man who killed his own brother, and God didn't take a real light to fratricide.  Do you think the prohibition against incest would have kept Cain from going after one of his little sisters?  (Or his mother: Eve was still around, remember.)

Perhaps, but using that logic they would all have had to have been doing this, not just Cain.  On top of that, Cain was banished for killing his brother.  Are we to believe that one of his sisters followed into banishment, hooked up with him after that and then had kids with him?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 11:56:42 PM »

The prohibition against incest didn't exist until Moses' times.  Before then, the genetic complications from incest wouldn't have been strong enough to warrant prohibition.  Recall that genetic disorders and the like were only a result of our original fall from grace (thanks a lot, Eve), so they could only have gotten progressively worse.

Thus, not only did Cain marry his sister, but it was perfectly moral and safe to do so.

Now what is distressing is that the writer of Genesis didn't see fit to mention Adam and Eve's female children, because apparently women aren't as important as men.  I wonder what Cain's sister thought about the prospect, or whether she had any choice in the matter.  My guess is that she did not.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 01:07:49 AM »

The prohibition against incest didn't exist until Moses' times.  Before then, the genetic complications from incest wouldn't have been strong enough to warrant prohibition.  Recall that genetic disorders and the like were only a result of our original fall from grace (thanks a lot, Eve), so they could only have gotten progressively worse.

Thus, not only did Cain marry his sister, but it was perfectly moral and safe to do so.

Now what is distressing is that the writer of Genesis didn't see fit to mention Adam and Eve's female children, because apparently women aren't as important as men.  I wonder what Cain's sister thought about the prospect, or whether she had any choice in the matter.  My guess is that she did not.

That's one of the more desperate explanations I have heard (assuming is wasn't a joke).

First, your theory defeats itself because there never would have been enough genetic variation created to begin with in order to produce enough genetic variation for there to be enough genetic variation for there to be genetic complications from incest.

Also, Adam and Eve had their children after the fall.

Finally, Genesis was written at the same time as Exodus, so odds are that the people taking it down would have had the same thoughts in mind.  All except Genesis 1, which was written thousands of years later, for a different audience, during a different time, hence why the tone of Genesis 1 is so different from the latter sections and why it seems to kinda contradict Genesis 2.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 07:34:46 AM »

FYI, I'm not a creationist, but that is the explanation offered by prominent creationist organizations like Answers in Genesis.

http://answersingenesis.org/articles/nab/who-was-cains-wife
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 09:50:53 AM »

That's one of the more desperate explanations I have heard (assuming is wasn't a joke).

First, your theory defeats itself because there never would have been enough genetic variation created to begin with in order to produce enough genetic variation for there to be enough genetic variation for there to be genetic complications from incest.

Also, Adam and Eve had their children after the fall.

Finally, Genesis was written at the same time as Exodus, so odds are that the people taking it down would have had the same thoughts in mind.  All except Genesis 1, which was written thousands of years later, for a different audience, during a different time, hence why the tone of Genesis 1 is so different from the latter sections and why it seems to kinda contradict Genesis 2.

But incest is still all over Genesis (Lot and his daughters and Judah and Tamar).  It doesn't mean the authors are condoning it, and, in fact, Cain, like Lot, is none-too-popular in the book.  I wouldn't at all be surprised if the authors were intentionally putting the shame of incest on him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies