Another Endorsement For Obama... From the Iranian Regime
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:20:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another Endorsement For Obama... From the Iranian Regime  (Read 2688 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2008, 10:33:55 PM »

http://www.farsnews.com/English/newstext.php?nn=8611130462

Barack Obama scores another major endorsement...

The Iranian Regime is excited that Senator Barack Obama would put an end to the US "occupation" of Iraq.

Iranian Fars News reported:

TEHRAN (FNA)- US Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama said he would favor holding direct talks with Iran and Syria in a bid to stabilize the Middle East if elected president.

In an interview with France's Paris Match on Thursday, Obama said, "I want to have direct talks with countries like Iran and Syria because I don't believe we can stabilize the region unless not just our friends but also our enemies are involved in these discussions."

He was also quoted as saying he would also hold a summit with leaders of Muslim states to address the growing gap between the West and the world of Islam.

The Illinois senator added that to repair the image of the United States in the world, he would "put an end to the war in Iraq."

"Occupying the country has put the odds against us with the world," Obama said.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 10:35:49 PM »

I definitely think Obama would do the most to restore Amercia's reputation across the world.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 10:36:39 PM »

http://livingroomcandidate.movingimage.us/player/index.php?ad_id=903
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 10:37:31 PM »

You're right. Clinton did a good job at making friends with the terrorists.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 03:47:32 AM »

Wonder if this had any effect on the Iranian exiles in Los Angeles/Orange Counties.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 08:24:47 AM »

I definitely think Obama would do the most to restore Amercia's reputation across the world.

Absolutely, which is why I'm in Obama's corner Wink

Furthermore, national security is not something that the Republicans should be able to use against Democrats with a big stick, and get away with it, anymore when you consider 6 and a half years after 9/11, Osama Bin Laden is still at large. In fact, I'd go so far to even suggest that this suits Republicans

Were Obama to enter into dialogue with Iran and Syria, would it be any different from the Sino-American Detente Nixon established with China? China, afterall, armed and equipped North Vietnam and the Viet Cong against US forces during the Vietnam War, which took a much heavier toll on the US than Iraq has, thus far, in terms of casualties and loss of life

FTR, I oppose the Iranian regime with as much passion as any neo-con but there comes a time when a change of course may, indeed, be both necessary and desirable in serving the interests of US, and wider, global security

Dave
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 08:57:26 AM »

I wonder how much an endorsement of this nature would get reported in the media.  My guess is, since it'd look negative toward Hussein, they won't report it much at all.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 10:07:18 AM »
« Edited: February 07, 2008, 10:09:05 AM by Alcon »

This article says nothing about any "endorsement."  Kerry actually received positive comments from some Islamic terrorist group in 2004, and it was justifiably ignored.  But this isn't even that.  This is just "I'm willing to talk with Iran."  Good lord people.

By all means, don't let actually reading the article get in way of your hackery.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 04:08:55 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2008, 04:16:40 PM by Huma Abedin 08' »

Furthermore, national security is not something that the Republicans should be able to use against Democrats with a big stick, and get away with it, anymore when you consider 6 and a half years after 9/11, Osama Bin Laden is still at large. In fact, I'd go so far to even suggest that this suits Republicans

Were Obama to enter into dialogue with Iran and Syria, would it be any different from the Sino-American Detente Nixon established with China? China, afterall, armed and equipped North Vietnam and the Viet Cong against US forces during the Vietnam War, which took a much heavier toll on the US than Iraq has, thus far, in terms of casualties and loss of life

FTR, I oppose the Iranian regime with as much passion as any neo-con but there comes a time when a change of course may, indeed, be both necessary and desirable in serving the interests of US, and wider, global security

Dave

It would basically make sense for the IRI to support Obama because of his rapid withdrawal plan from Iraq would help Iran fill the resulting power vacuum much more quickly which makes the specter of an actual Iran-Israel war very likely.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 04:24:20 PM »

Dave

It would basically make sense for the IRI to support Obama because of his rapid withdrawal plan from Iraq would help Iran fill the resulting power vacuum much more quickly which makes the specter of an actual Iran-Israel war very likely.

*Yawn* Iran is no position, militarily, to occupy Iraq, let alone invade/attack Israel. If the US military is having trouble with the occupation, certainly the Iranian military couldn't do it.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 04:49:07 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2008, 04:55:41 PM by Huma Abedin 08' »

Dave

*Yawn* Iran is no position, militarily, to occupy Iraq, let alone invade/attack Israel. If the US military is having trouble with the occupation, certainly the Iranian military couldn't do it.

Iran doesn't even need to have a formal military presence in Iraq, a la Hezbollah and Southern Lebanon.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 05:31:50 PM »

Dave

Iran need not occupy all of Iraq.  Only southern Iraq.

And they'll have plenty of well armed friend like the Jaish al-Mahdi to help them.

And they have do not share our aversion to brutality, making their job much easier.

The prospect of an Iran-Israel conflict won't be driven by geography, as the main weapons used will be medium range ballistic missiles.  The issue here is, will the Iranians feel that they are on the ascent?  Will they feel sufficiently emboldened to ignite a conflict?  If they are allowed unrestrained control of southern Iraq, the are much more liekly to be willing to do something out of hubris that would get lots of Israelis (and lots of Iranians) killed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies