2012-McCain/Huckabee v. Warner/Pryor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:55:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  2012-McCain/Huckabee v. Warner/Pryor
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2012-McCain/Huckabee v. Warner/Pryor  (Read 2978 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2008, 06:05:59 PM »

In 2008, John McCain is narrowly elected over Hillary Clinton, with margins similar to 2000 and 2004.  The Democrats increase their majorities in the House and Senate, including Mark Warner winning in Virginia.  In the summer of 2009, the US hits a recession, but McCain is able to prevent a major downturn, and by January of 2010 the economy is starting to recover.  In the 2010 midterms, the Democrats gain 1 Senate seat in Florida, and lose 2 House seats.  The 2012 race for the Democrats is close, between Senator Warner and Senator Barack Obama.  After a race similar to 2008, but with Warner winning more Super Tuesday states, he becomes the nominee.  He selects Mark Pryor of Arkansas as his running mate.  Discuss with maps.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 06:41:28 PM »

Need more info. War?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 07:12:20 PM »

Sorry, I meant to include the war.  McCain pretty much continues the Bush policy, although he is more successfull at it, and casualties go down slightly.  However, Osama Bin Laden has still not been caught, and continues to produce videos.  In February 2012, 17% approve of the war, 80% disapprove, and 3% have no opinion.  McCain's ratings are 55% approve, 42% disapprove, and 3% have no opinion.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 07:27:03 PM »

If McCain can get elected in 2008 with unrealistic results in Virginia, Arkansas and Missouri and unrealistic things somewhat unrealistic things happening in Florida and pretty much the same stuff continueing to happen he can win again in 2012, especially since a lot of the far left doesn't like Warner because they consider him "too conservative".
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 07:29:59 PM »

If McCain can get elected in 2008 with unrealistic results in Virginia, Arkansas and Missouri and unrealistic things somewhat unrealistic things happening in Florida and pretty much the same stuff continueing to happen he can win again in 2012, especially since a lot of the far left doesn't like Warner because they consider him "too conservative".

The map I have is for the 2012 results, just so you know.  This would be my expected 2008 map:
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 07:35:31 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well at least it's somewhat realistic. Tongue

Anyways, McCain still wins, with 270 EV's.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 07:37:56 PM »

My one big problem is New Hampshire.  I just don't think it will vote for someone as pro-war as John McCain.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 07:39:33 PM »

My one big problem is New Hampshire.  I just don't think it will vote for someone as pro-war as John McCain.

Independents love him there though so Republicans + Independents win it there for him. Plus, some of the liberal Dems might not vote for Warner as well because of what I said in an earlier post.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 07:03:51 PM »

Sorry, I meant to include the war.  McCain pretty much continues the Bush policy, although he is more successfull at it, and casualties go down slightly.  However, Osama Bin Laden has still not been caught, and continues to produce videos.  In February 2012, 17% approve of the war, 80% disapprove, and 3% have no opinion.  McCain's ratings are 55% approve, 42% disapprove, and 3% have no opinion.

If the war is so unpopular, how does he keep his approval ratings like that?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 07:05:45 PM »

Everything else is going fairly well
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 07:11:46 PM »

You caould say that about much of bush's second term. So?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 07:19:17 PM »

Unlike Bush's second term, there has been no major disasters.  The war has improved, but 80% still do not approve of it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 07:39:06 PM »

Unlike Bush's second term, there has been no major disasters.  The war has improved, but 80% still do not approve of it.

Not quite with you here. Oh well.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 07:41:13 PM »

I'll make it simpler: Although the war is unpopular, on the whole, McCain is well liked.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 08:02:03 PM »

I'll make it simpler: Although the war is unpopular, on the whole, McCain is well liked.

That would rrequire a massive de-escalation.
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 04:00:50 AM »

If McCain has a 55% approval rating going into November he wins easily. I would expect a lot of liberals/progressives would vote Green or 3rd party if the democratic ticket was that 'GOP lite.'

Popular vote maybe something like...

McCain 51%
Warner 45%
Other 4%
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies