WHICH CITY (PACIFIC CITIZENS ONLY!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:50:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  WHICH CITY (PACIFIC CITIZENS ONLY!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: WHICH CITY (PACIFIC CITIZENS ONLY!)  (Read 4995 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2004, 03:48:56 PM »

So he'll come and vote. He voted for me four months ago.

No!  It's best for him to be gone.
I'd be happier if he disbanded his party, and this enrolling under lots of names thing was near unforgivable, but he's been just fine elsewhere on the forum. His politics are also much like mine...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2004, 05:47:34 PM »

Asking people to join and making multiple names are two different things. Tongue
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2004, 05:18:38 AM »

When? I was out of town for a while, and I don't remember there being any notification of a vote that I would be missing! Sad

I'm sorry, but I find it sad that I won't be able to visit the regionol capitol without choking on smog, or waiting in your horrible traffic, or risk seeing some stupid worthless celebrity that nobody likes.

San Jose sucks too much. Why would we want to put our capitol in some worthless overgrown suburb?

San Diego is right on the edge, doesn't seem right that it would be the capitol!

And Los Angeles, other than being a horrible city, shouldn't be the capitol because the capitol shouldn't be in the biggest city of the region.

San Jose a worthless overgrown suburb? I suspect you haven't ever been there, nor to San Diego. If you had ever been there you would realise that you do not choke on smog there.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2004, 10:30:44 AM »

I haven't been to San Jose but I have been to San Diego...twice! But...I suppose that insult (or fact!) was more targeted at LA.

Mind explaining how San Jose is a real "city" to me?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2004, 10:43:30 AM »

I haven't been to San Jose but I have been to San Diego...twice! But...I suppose that insult (or fact!) was more targeted at LA.

Its bigger than San Francisco and Oakland combined...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2004, 10:44:49 AM »

Nowt to do wi' me, but I'd say that the Capital of the Pacific shouldn't be in Southern California.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2004, 10:47:34 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2004, 10:50:47 AM by King »

Nowt to do wi' me, but I'd say that the Capital of the Pacific shouldn't be in Southern California.

The Capital of California is Sacramento...the SoCal is overated if you ask me...San Jose nice...it never gets too hot...its near water...it has an airport...and over 1 million people in it...San Diego has 2 million, Los Angeles has 4 million...we don't want to move into a large, hot, crime sprawn, and smoggy city...thats not cool...San Diego's Bay, especially near Fiesta Island is an open sewer...so no...
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2004, 10:56:41 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2004, 10:59:12 AM by King »

We also have a HISTORIC FAIRMONT hotel which is one of the BEST HOTELS in THE WORLD...

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2004, 11:04:16 AM »

It's the 11th largest city in the nation. It has some pro teams, and has great ethnic diversity.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2004, 11:13:15 AM »

Oh really? Lets take a look at the Census!

CITY-POPULATION
San Francisco-776,733
Oakland-399,484

SF & Oakland combined-1,176,217
San Jose-894,943

To prove SF (and Oakland) is more of a city, look at the land area.

SF is 47 sq miles with 776,733 people, for a pop. density of 16,634 people per square mile.

Oakland is 56 sq miles with 399,484 people for a pop. density of 7,127 people per square mile.

San Jose is 175 sq miles with 894,943 people and a pop. density of 5,118 people per square mile.

Its like Phoenix being as big as Philadelphia, simply becuase Phoenix annexed so much land (its suburbs), it has a large amount of people. Philadelphia still fits that many people into a MUCH smaller land area.

Any city can be big if it annexes enough. Other examples include Houston, Dallas, and Jacksonville.

If it the capital MUST be in California I would probably pick San Francisco...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2004, 11:16:18 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2004, 11:17:20 AM by Jesus »

It's the 11th largest city in the nation. It has some pro teams, and has great ethnic diversity.

If were considering diversity, why have Oakland and Long Beach been left out? They are very diverse cities. More than San Jose, I believe.

And a few 15 story buildings doesn't make it a city. Plenty of suburbs have high rises. Bellevue, WA has 300ft+ buildings, and a 41 story building under construction. Try getting some 50+ story buildings like San Francisco, or 70+ like Seattle and LA.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2004, 11:19:38 AM »

If were considering diversity, why have Oakland and Long Beach been left out? They are very diverse cities. More than San Jose, I believe.

And a few 15 story buildings doesn't make it a city. Plenty of suburbs have high rises. Bellevue, WA has 300ft+ buildings, and a 41 story building under construction. Try getting some 50+ story buildings like San Francisco, or 70+ like Seattle and LA.

San Jose is an even split between Caucasans, Asians, and African-Americans, all at about 30%.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2004, 11:23:13 AM »

San Jose is an even split between Caucasans, Asians, and African-Americans, all at about 30%.

San Jose is 3% black.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2004, 11:38:27 AM »

I don't see why you are picking such large cities.  Why does it matter how big the city is?

For instance, I have a preposition on the Midwest ballot placing the capitol of the Midwest at Belle Fourche, SD, population 4,565 Grin

Plus, look at some real state's capitols... Indianapolis came from nothing into what it is today... the biggest city in Indiana Smiley
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2004, 11:40:43 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2004, 11:46:51 AM by Jesus »

^ You're right. We don't have to pick a big city/suburb for the capitol.

A small city would do just as well, maybe even better. It really doesn't matter since it really wouldn't serve any purpose. We could put it on the Aleutian Islands and it wouldn't matter.

Eureka looks like the most central location to me...Eureka for capitol!!!
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2004, 11:59:28 AM »

For instance, I have a preposition on the Midwest ballot placing the capitol of the Midwest at Belle Fourche, SD, population 4,565 Grin

Do you have any pictures of the town you are proposing?  I'd like to see what I'm going to be voting for.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2004, 12:57:41 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2004, 02:15:53 PM by Governor ilikeverin »

Aerial view (whoops, it seems that that image has been disconnected Embarrassed

Go here and scroll down a bit.

The Belle Fourche Dam (perhaps this is the lake created by the dam?)

A better picture of the dam (it seems that's it's well known :S)

Sunset (I'm not sure if this is from Belle Fourche or not Undecided but I found it on the Belle Fourche Middle School website)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2004, 02:07:29 PM »

San Jose was actually the Capital of California before it was moved to Sacramento, this was a while back of course.

The point is, San Jose is a decent sized city (3rd largest in California and 11th largest in the USA according to Akno), an ethnically diverse city (large population of Mexicans along with the largest population of Vietnamese outside of Vietnam), it is a safe city (in the top 10 out of cities in the USA I believe). It also has some reasonable public transport including a decent sized airport and some light railways and buses.

I personally think it is the best choice for the capital although it seems we are going with San Diego.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2004, 03:01:33 PM »

Oh really? Lets take a look at the Census!

CITY-POPULATION
San Francisco-776,733
Oakland-399,484

SF & Oakland combined-1,176,217
San Jose-894,943

To prove SF (and Oakland) is more of a city, look at the land area.

SF is 47 sq miles with 776,733 people, for a pop. density of 16,634 people per square mile.

Oakland is 56 sq miles with 399,484 people for a pop. density of 7,127 people per square mile.

San Jose is 175 sq miles with 894,943 people and a pop. density of 5,118 people per square mile.

Its like Phoenix being as big as Philadelphia, simply becuase Phoenix annexed so much land (its suburbs), it has a large amount of people. Philadelphia still fits that many people into a MUCH smaller land area.

Any city can be big if it annexes enough. Other examples include Houston, Dallas, and Jacksonville.

If it the capital MUST be in California I would probably pick San Francisco...

Well that was in 2000...when the Census was updated last we had over 1 million people...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2004, 06:17:13 PM »

An official census is only taken every 10 years. Anything else is just their estimates, which are often innaccurate.

But this isn't reality. This is the Fantasy Forum. On THIS forum, how many people "live" there?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2004, 07:35:38 PM »

An official census is only taken every 10 years. Anything else is just their estimates, which are often innaccurate.

But this isn't reality. This is the Fantasy Forum. On THIS forum, how many people "live" there?

I live in San Jose...and there were 7 people in the last census for California...so techinically...14% of California's Fantasy population is in San Jose... Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2004, 08:24:07 PM »

I'm confused...7 people are from California so 7 people are from San Jose? Did San Jose take over the entire state?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2004, 08:55:08 PM »

I'm confused...7 people are from California so 7 people are from San Jose? Did San Jose take over the entire state?

No, out of the 7 people in California from the last Fantasy Census, 1 (ME) is from San Jose...making 1/7 or 14% of California from SAN JOSE... and since 1/4 of the entire country is in California 4% of our FANTASY population is from SAN JOSE...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2004, 04:53:08 AM »

Maybe we should move the capital to East Palo Alto. IIRC it's the only city in the 50 states that's more than 5% Samoan. Smiley
(And, yes, I know it's a slum.)
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2004, 08:28:42 AM »

No, out of the 7 people in California from the last Fantasy Census, 1 (ME) is from San Jose...making 1/7 or 14% of California from SAN JOSE... and since 1/4 of the entire country is in California 4% of our FANTASY population is from SAN JOSE...

For fantasy purposes I reside in San Jose (My family do) so 8% Tongue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies