Feb. 9th primaries & caucuses--Dem. results thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:54:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Feb. 9th primaries & caucuses--Dem. results thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: Feb. 9th primaries & caucuses--Dem. results thread  (Read 18453 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: February 09, 2008, 11:17:26 PM »

I am listening to Obama. Does Obama ever say anything other  than generalities?  Where's the beef? 
He just spoke specifically about making college more affordable, off the top of my head.

How?  Well, I guess through giving away more money, but the specifics of the giving away of money would be nice.

He spoke about a year in public service would allow the government to fund for college tuition.

I don't get the connection.  Is that forced public service or what (i.e. slave labor) that will free up government funding, or am I missing something?

Like military service, or community service or something like that. Its not forced either, you can choose whether you want to go to college or not...its not up to the government to decide that.

That really explains nothing, but thanks for trying!

My guess is what you are trying to say is that if you go do military service or community service, we (the government) will pay for your education.  Of course, the government already does that for the military, so...

Its hard to explain, public service to your country. You pick it apart and make a conclusion yourself then.

It's hard to explain because it makes little sense.  NTTAWTT
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #326 on: February 09, 2008, 11:18:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well that's a relief that the check will be sent out by the IRS rather than Health and Human services.

I know it is naughty for a right winger type (relatively speaking) to disturb this victory party. Sorry.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #327 on: February 09, 2008, 11:21:19 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2008, 11:24:09 PM by Sam Spade »

Higher Education
    * Create the American Opportunity Tax Credit: Obama will make college affordable for all Americans by creating a new American Opportunity Tax Credit. This universal and fully refundable credit will ensure that the first $4,000 of a college education is completely free for most Americans, and will cover two-thirds the cost of tuition at the average public college or university and make community college tuition completely free for most students. Obama will also ensure that the tax credit is available to families at the time of enrollment by using prior year's tax data to deliver the credit when tuition is due.

Still costs money - I'm not going to do the math right now.  Probably will drive the quality of a college education down even further from where it already is, increasing the necessity of the graduate degree (which in many ways is already a necessity), but that's that.

I have no problem with this, at all.

I am still asking about the public service for government money thingy, but that's ok.  I'm patient.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #328 on: February 09, 2008, 11:26:21 PM »

wow this is the EXACT same speech he gave at Key Arena (he even had the Dick Cheney relation joke), maybe he was just testing it on us before he used it for what amounts as his victory speech to be broadcast nationally. Personally I don't mind, it was a good speech and he did localize each of them.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #329 on: February 09, 2008, 11:26:58 PM »

I am still asking about the public service for government money thingy, but that's ok.  I'm patient.

Again, from the website:

Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #330 on: February 09, 2008, 11:29:18 PM »

Looks like your patience has been rewarded, Sam. Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #331 on: February 09, 2008, 11:31:21 PM »

Again, from the website:

So, in other words, the government is bribing college kids to do public service.  Ok.  Thanks.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #332 on: February 09, 2008, 11:32:53 PM »

Again, from the website:

So, in other words, the government is bribing college kids to do public service.  Ok.  Thanks.

They're investing in their education if they invest in their community. It's a pretty simple and fair concept.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #333 on: February 09, 2008, 11:34:17 PM »

I am listening to Obama. Does Obama ever say anything other  than generalities?  Where's the beef? 
He just spoke specifically about making college more affordable, off the top of my head.

How?  Well, I guess through giving away more money, but the specifics of the giving away of money would be nice.

My 15 year old daughter watched a couple of minutes of the speech. Her unsolicited comment was "That's going to cost a lot."

It IS going to cost. I'm not sure how much though - I need to look more into that. Regardless, it isn't as if your party has any credibility on fiscal responsibility.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #334 on: February 09, 2008, 11:38:14 PM »

Again, from the website:

They're investing in their education if they invest in their community. It's a pretty simple and fair concept.

Your language sounds more "eloquent" and lest I say more "hopeful".  But it is still the government bribing kids to do community service.

But look, if it makes you feel better, your line definitely sounds much better than mine.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #335 on: February 09, 2008, 11:39:03 PM »

Edwards (about 4%) and Biden (2%) are doing surprisingly well.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #336 on: February 09, 2008, 11:40:02 PM »

Again, from the website:

Your language sounds more "eloquent" and lest I say more "hopeful".  But it is still the government bribing kids to do community service.

But look, if it makes you feel better, your line definitely sounds much better than mine.

"Bribing to do community service" makes it sound like the goal is community service when that isn't the goal. The goal is kids affording to go college, and in exchange they need to do community service. You're making the emphasis of the plan backwards.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #337 on: February 09, 2008, 11:41:21 PM »

Edwards (about 4%) and Biden (2%) are doing surprisingly well.

That's the "I'm not voting for a black or a woman" vote.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #338 on: February 09, 2008, 11:42:21 PM »

"But it costs money!" seems to be a big complaint. Uh, Hello! Everything costs money.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #339 on: February 09, 2008, 11:43:07 PM »

Also surprising is that Clinton is doing worse than exit polls forecasted, while Obama is doing better. In a deep Southern state like Louisiana, I would have expected the opposite.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #340 on: February 09, 2008, 11:43:22 PM »

Alright, I've hijacked the thread enough so far.  We can discuss this at some later time or on other thread.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #341 on: February 09, 2008, 11:44:03 PM »

Obama has widened his lead in LA: 56% to 37% with 90% in....he did better than expected ja
frihetsivrare
Volksliberalist

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -7.13

« Reply #342 on: February 09, 2008, 11:44:54 PM »

At least Douglas County has a small number of people, about 32000.  It is better than Clinton winning King County.
It interrupts our sea of green. Cry

Yes, if Clinton had to win one, it would be best if she won Columbia, Wahkiakum or Garfield County, the smallest counties and far from the middle of the state.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #343 on: February 09, 2008, 11:45:09 PM »

"But it costs money!" seems to be a big complaint. Uh, Hello! Everything costs money.

But the Republican Party is the party of fiscal responsibility! Considering this current administration, they definitely have the credibility to whine about things costing money m i rite?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #344 on: February 09, 2008, 11:45:18 PM »

Alright, I've hijacked the thread enough so far.  We can discuss this at some later time or on other thread.

Actually I started it. Smiley
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #345 on: February 09, 2008, 11:46:23 PM »

I was just on Mydd. I can't believe how they have turned into such a pro-clinton site. It's been taken over.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #346 on: February 09, 2008, 11:46:57 PM »

Yeah, MyDD is ridiculous at this point. It's unreadable, which is sad, because it used to be a very good blog.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #347 on: February 09, 2008, 11:49:21 PM »

link to MyDD plz
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #348 on: February 09, 2008, 11:49:50 PM »

But the Republican Party is the party of fiscal responsibility! Considering this current administration, they definitely have the credibility to whine about things costing money m i rite?

Oh, your so right.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #349 on: February 09, 2008, 11:52:43 PM »

so all that is left to count in Louisiana is New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Shreveport. All are at 30-50 % margin of victory for Obama. So my guess is that he finishes 22% above Clinton.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies