Feb. 9th primaries & caucuses--Dem. results thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:28:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Feb. 9th primaries & caucuses--Dem. results thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18
Author Topic: Feb. 9th primaries & caucuses--Dem. results thread  (Read 18567 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: February 10, 2008, 01:06:21 PM »

Texas is like California in the Dem primary for Obama but maybe worse. Texas has more blacks, but the Hispanics are probably more conservative/suspicious of blacks than  in California, and the Texas Dem primary is largely sans upper middle class Anglos, and probably has more rednecks still voting in it. Unless Hillary collapses, it's all hers.

Ohio is New Hampshire, but with a 14% black electorate, rather than maybe 3%, and also much lighter on middle to upper middle class Anglos, so clear edge to Clinton, but maybe more in play than Texas.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #401 on: February 10, 2008, 01:25:33 PM »

Can you lose the white vote as badly as Obama has and carry enough states to win?  Not rhetorical.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #402 on: February 10, 2008, 01:30:19 PM »

Can you lose the white vote as badly as Obama has and carry enough states to win?  Not rhetorical.

Obama split the white vote in California. If he does almost as well in Ohio (unlikely), it's his.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #403 on: February 10, 2008, 01:42:05 PM »

I get your point - the answer is (almost likely) no.  Especially since most of east Texas outside Beaumont/Port Arthur resembles those areas and not the rest of Louisiana.

Though I'd be curious to know your thoughts when you're done.

And here's the map:

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #404 on: February 10, 2008, 01:46:03 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2008, 01:47:56 PM by Sam Spade »

Texas is like California in the Dem primary for Obama but maybe worse. Texas has more blacks, but the Hispanics are probably more conservative/suspicious of blacks than  in California, and the Texas Dem primary is largely sans upper middle class Anglos, and probably has more rednecks still voting in it. Unless Hillary collapses, it's all hers.

I'll bump up my (still incomplete) analysis on the Texas Senate Districts for your perusal sometime later today. 

I'll also fill in my anecdotal reports from largely Hispanic (with redneck whites) east Houston that I get second-hand from a strong familial source.  In other words, when my father tells me of a Hispanic/redneck white he's met who is supporting Obama, I'll let you know.  Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So far, the working class white areas that resemble Ohio have not looked very pretty for Obama, even in Illinois (she beat him there).

Also, I seem to remember Cleveland having a large ethnic white population that is probably not inclined to vote for blacks.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #405 on: February 10, 2008, 01:49:38 PM »

I get your point - the answer is (almost likely) no.  Especially since most of east Texas outside Beaumont/Port Arthur resembles those areas and not the rest of Louisiana.

Though I'd be curious to know your thoughts when you're done.

And here's the map:

Oh, geez.  Ugly.  But fascinating.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #406 on: February 10, 2008, 01:59:37 PM »

I'll bump up my (still incomplete) analysis on the Texas Senate Districts for your perusal sometime later today. 

I'll also fill in my anecdotal reports from largely Hispanic (with redneck whites) east Houston that I get second-hand from a strong familial source.  In other words, when my father tells me of a Hispanic/redneck white he's met who is supporting Obama, I'll let you know.  Tongue

So far, the working class white areas that resemble Ohio have not looked very pretty for Obama, even in Illinois (she beat him there).

Also, I seem to remember Cleveland having a large ethnic white population that is probably not inclined to vote for blacks.

Here is an article to throw into your pile for contemplation with my comment appended. In Texas you have rural and urban Hispanics, and some rubbing shoulders with blacks, and some not. You have the Rio Grande (rural no blacks), San Antonio (urban very few blacks), and Houston (urban with blacks). Will Obama run the worst with Hispanics in Houston, and the best in San Antonio?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #407 on: February 10, 2008, 02:07:07 PM »

Texas has more blacks, but the Hispanics are probably more conservative/suspicious of blacks than  in California
How is that possible? Most of the racial tensions between Latinos and Blacks have been centered in SoCal. There are also fewer blacks in power in majority Hispanic areas of Texas. Polls also show that TX blacks are more supportive of comprehensive immigration than their CA counterparts.

The less acrimonious relationship between these two groups in TX may aid Obama's inroad efforts in the Valley. With support from Pete Gallego and other TX Latinos, Obama could break the 35% threshold in heavily Latino areas.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #408 on: February 10, 2008, 02:16:05 PM »

Texas has more blacks, but the Hispanics are probably more conservative/suspicious of blacks than  in California
How is that possible? Most of the racial tensions between Latinos and Blacks have been centered in SoCal. There are also fewer blacks in power in majority Hispanic areas of Texas. Polls also show that TX blacks are more supportive of comprehensive immigration than their CA counterparts.

The less acrimonious relationship between these two groups in TX may aid Obama's inroad efforts in the Valley. With support from Pete Gallego and other TX Latinos, Obama could break the 35% threshold in heavily Latino areas.

Does Obama have the support of any other politicians in the border area (much less the rest of Texas) other than Gallego?  I don't know of one, off the top of my head.  That can often make a difference in that "machine-politic" area of the world.

I do agree that the acrimoniousness (word?) will be strongest in Houston/Dallas (yes there are Hispanics in Dallas) and less in other areas.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #409 on: February 10, 2008, 02:17:14 PM »

Well, he just got the support of the Texas Mexican-American Association so...maybe that'll help.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #410 on: February 10, 2008, 02:23:26 PM »

Does Obama have the support of any other politicians in the border area (much less the rest of Texas) other than Gallego?  I don't know of one, off the top of my head.  That can often make a difference in that "machine-politic" area of the world.

I do agree that the acrimoniousness (word?) will be strongest in Houston/Dallas (yes there are Hispanics in Dallas) and less in other areas.
Maybe Ciro will endorse Obama?

Clinton has  Reps. Solomon Ortiz, Silvestre Reyes of El Paso, Henry Cuellar of Laredo,  and Rubén Hinojosa of Mercedes.

Garry Mauro is also backing Hillary.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #411 on: February 10, 2008, 02:23:39 PM »

I doubt enough redneck whites are still democrats to have a significant effect on the Dem primary. Well, except maybe a few of the women. Remember also that in Texas, lower-middle class white doesn't necessarily equate to redneck. Lower class white however, probably does. However most rednecks would never vote for Obama (obvious reasons) OR Hillary (they think she's an atheist lesbian communist). Rather they'll turn out in droves to vote for Huckabee.  
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #412 on: February 10, 2008, 02:36:04 PM »

I doubt enough redneck whites are still democrats to have a significant effect on the Dem primary. Well, except maybe a few of the women. Remember also that in Texas, lower-middle class white doesn't necessarily equate to redneck. Lower class white however, probably does. However most rednecks would never vote for Obama (obvious reasons) OR Hillary (they think she's an atheist lesbian communist). Rather they'll turn out in droves to vote for Huckabee.  

lol
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #413 on: February 10, 2008, 02:39:36 PM »

Clinton has  Reps. Solomon Ortiz, Silvestre Reyes of El Paso, Henry Cuellar of Laredo,  and Rubén Hinojosa of Mercedes.

Then she should win Delta County (she will anyways).  Tongue

So, the two Hispanic Reps still outstanding are Ciro and Charlie Gonzales.  I think Tony Sanchez also endorsed Hillary, as memory serves me.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #414 on: February 10, 2008, 02:58:36 PM »

Here is an article to throw into your pile for contemplation with my comment appended. In Texas you have rural and urban Hispanics, and some rubbing shoulders with blacks, and some not. You have the Rio Grande (rural no blacks), San Antonio (urban very few blacks), and Houston (urban with blacks). Will Obama run the worst with Hispanics in Houston, and the best in San Antonio?
Hidalgo, Cameron, and Webb counties are not rural populations, except by sentiment (in the same sense that many Omaha, Des Moines, or Wichita residents continue to retain contact with agricultural interests, through relatives, etc.).  Rural South Texas is losing population just like rural areas elsewhere.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #415 on: February 10, 2008, 03:11:32 PM »

After Clinton's husband did a campaign rally on the eve or Rodriguez's election?

Do you think anyone in Texas knows who Garry Mauro is (maybe if he is married or has children or his parents are still living)?  He ran 17% behind the Democratic candidate for Lt. Governor, 13% AG, 17% Controller, 8% Land Commissioner, 11% Ag Commissioner, or 9% RR Commissioner.  There is no straight ticket voting in primaries.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #416 on: February 11, 2008, 08:31:05 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2008, 08:44:45 PM by Alcon »

I am very happy to report that the Douglas County results have been corrected, and Obama actually carried the county with 64% of the delegates.  In other words, 39/39 county statewide sweep.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004177136_webcount11m.html
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #417 on: February 11, 2008, 08:43:21 PM »

I am very happy to report that the Douglas County results have been corrected, and Obama actually carried the county with 64% of the delegates.  In other words, 39/39 county statewide weep.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004177136_webcount11m.html

WASHINGTON WINS AGAIN
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #418 on: February 11, 2008, 09:08:57 PM »

WASHINGTON IS OFFICIALLY THE MOST PRO-OBAMA STATE IN THE NATION
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #419 on: February 11, 2008, 09:10:17 PM »

WASHINGTON IS OFFICIALLY THE MOST PRO-OBAMA STATE IN THE NATION

Kansas probably had no counties for Clinton, too.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #420 on: February 11, 2008, 09:11:15 PM »

Maybe Alaska and/or North Dakota as well.

But Washington has more people, so they break the tie.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #421 on: February 11, 2008, 09:18:32 PM »

Hilarious Clinton spin on her losses this past weekend:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/02/11/clinton-dismisses-weekend-losses/

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #422 on: February 11, 2008, 09:21:53 PM »

Pretty good diary from Markos on the subject.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/2/11/121758/950/294/454307
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #423 on: February 11, 2008, 09:42:39 PM »

Oh, well isn't that convenient, every single state that the Democrats will never win is also a state that Obama won, and every single state that the Democrats must focus in is also a state that Clinton won. Tongue

EDIT: Oh, besides Missouri.  Is Clinton still clinging to the belief that she won Missouri?
M

« Reply #424 on: February 11, 2008, 10:17:55 PM »

Maybe Alaska and/or North Dakota as well.

But Washington has more people, so they break the tie.

Alaska does not have counties.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies