2008: the first presidential election between two sitting members of Congress?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:42:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008: the first presidential election between two sitting members of Congress?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008: the first presidential election between two sitting members of Congress?  (Read 1839 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2008, 01:45:45 AM »

Barring some extraordinary circumstances, John McCain, a sitting US senator, will win the 2008 GOP nomination, and face off in the general election against a Democratic candidate who is also a sitting US senator.

Is this the first presidential election in American history in which both of the two major party candidates were sitting members of either house of Congress at the time of the election?  I can't think of another one.

In fact, I can't even think of another case in which both candidates had served in their most recent public office as a member of Congress (meaning that both candidates were either current members of Congress or former members who had no executive branch jobs since leaving Congress), except 1860.,,,which is kind of an odd case, because of there being more than two major candidates.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:30:27 AM »

There have only been two sitting members of Congress who were elected President - Garfield and Kennedy.

Hancock was never in Congress, and Nixon had been VP for 8 years.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 03:22:24 PM »

There have only been two sitting members of Congress who were elected President - Garfield and Kennedy.

Hancock was never in Congress, and Nixon had been VP for 8 years.

Don't forget Harding, who was Ohio's Senator at the time.

(Cox was the governor of Ohio at the time, though).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 03:33:31 PM »

is there no chance McCain would resign the Senate?  like Dole, '96?  it'd give him a good talking point against Clinton or Obama about how they aren't doing their job since they are always on the campaign trail.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 05:36:09 PM »

is there no chance McCain would resign the Senate?  like Dole, '96?  it'd give him a good talking point against Clinton or Obama about how they aren't doing their job since they are always on the campaign trail.

I think it's unlikely, especially since a Democrat would name his replacement.  Not a great way to keep the peace with conservatives.  Dole was also Senate Majority Leader, so it was harder to keep focus on his job in the Senate while he was campaigning.  If you're just 1 of 100 Senators though, it's less of a big deal if you're distracted.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 07:27:41 PM »

Arizona law requires that the appointee be of the same party as the current senator, and that the special election be held at the time of the next general election.  It appears that it is intended to be a primary - in the case of a special election for representative there is a special primary as well, even when the special election is not held at the time of the general election.

The primary this year is September 2nd.  So McCain could resign around July "so the people of Arizona can choose their next Senator" and "so that I may fully engage in the issues facing our country".  Napolitono then appoints a Republican to fill the remainder of the term.  Meanwhile Napolitono has to figure out whether to switch less than a year into her term as governor.

New York and Illinois also require the special election be held at the next general election date.  In New York the vacancy has to occur before early July, otherwise it would be held over until 2010.  I'm not sure for Illinois since they have already held their primaries.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 09:36:04 PM »

I think it's unlikely, especially since a Democrat would name his replacement.  Not a great way to keep the peace with conservatives.  Dole was also Senate Majority Leader, so it was harder to keep focus on his job in the Senate while he was campaigning.  If you're just 1 of 100 Senators though, it's less of a big deal if you're distracted.

as Jim pointed out, Napolitano would have to pick a Republican.  I suggest it because it gives McCain a couple nice talking points through the campaign against sitting Senator Obama or sitting Senator Clinton, and I also think McCain would have no desire to continue with the Senate should he lose the general election and there's about a 0% chance of him running for re-election in 2010, regardless of the presidential result.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 04:59:29 PM »

as Jim pointed out, Napolitano would have to pick a Republican.  I suggest it because it gives McCain a couple nice talking points through the campaign against sitting Senator Obama or sitting Senator Clinton, and I also think McCain would have no desire to continue with the Senate should he lose the general election and there's about a 0% chance of him running for re-election in 2010, regardless of the presidential result.

Especially since he might get primaried if he loses...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies