TR wins in 1912
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:42:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  TR wins in 1912
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20
Author Topic: TR wins in 1912  (Read 115777 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2008, 04:08:00 PM »

The 1912 Presidential Election
For almost two years, former President Teddy Roosevelt has been attacking incumbent William Howard Taft.  Eventually, he decides to bolt the GOP, and forms the Progressive Party.  During the election, both Roosevelt and Democrat Woodrow Wilson rip Taft at every opportunity.  On election night, 1912, Roosevelt becomes the first third party candidate to ever be elected President.

Roosevelt/Johnson: 45% PV, 282 EV
Wilson/Marshall: 42% PV, 249 EV
Taft/Butler: 13% PV, 0 EV

Following the election, Taft refuses to comment, and never speaks of the election for the rest of his life, instead preferring to say that he retired.

The 1912 Congressional Elections
Throughout the country, there is a massive wave for the Democrats and Progressives.  When Congress reconvenes in March, the Democrats will hold a majority, but it will be the Progressives, not the Republicans, who are the primary opposition in Congress.

House Results:
Democrats: 229 (-1)
Progressives: 200 (+200)
Republicans: 6 (-156)

Senate Results:
Democrats: 49 (+5)
Progressives: 41 (+41)
Republicans: 6 (-46)

I hope you enjoy this TL.  If you have any suggestions, complaints, or comments, please post them.  Enjoy!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 04:36:09 PM »

Immature little hack. If you knew anything about politics like I do.

Oh sorry Tongue Interesting timeline, I like third-parties-winning timelines
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 05:07:10 PM »

If that's the case, then this is the timeline for you!  I can promise that for most of this timeline, there will be at least three major political parties.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 05:36:53 PM »

If that's the case, then this is the timeline for you!  I can promise that for most of this timeline, there will be at least three major political parties.

'Twon't be easy. Are you sure you're up for it?
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 06:12:41 PM »

(rubbing my hands together) I am so looking forward to the third term of Teddy Roosevelt and World War I.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 06:30:48 PM »

I think I can handle it Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 06:48:08 PM »

I think I can handle it Wink

So do I, but you've been warned. Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 11:40:50 AM »

The Third Term of Theodore Roosevelt

After being sworn in by Chief Justice White, President Roosevelt takes the podium to address his audience.  He starts out by stating that he will begin implementing another “Square Deal” for the American public.  This will include antitrust modification, tariff revision, and reform in banking and currency matters.  He also comes out in favor of a Federal Reserve, and a lowering of the Tariff.  He pledges to work with Democratic, Progressive, and Republican leaders in order to pass the desired legislation.

Roosevelt soon establishes his Cabinet.  He makes Elihu Root his Secretary of State; Robert Lansing as his Attorney General; Carter Glass as Secretary of the Treasury; and he retains Henry Stimson as Secretary of War.

On April 14, 1913, the 17th Amendment to the Constitution is ratified, providing for the direct election of Senators.  Roosevelt calls the Amendment “a great triumph for democracy.”

In keeping with his pledge, Roosevelt immediately begins talking to Congressional Leaders, and on  October 3, 1913, the Underwood-Simmons Act is passed, re-imposing the federal income tax following the ratification of the Sixteenth Amendment and lowered basic tariff rates from 40% to 25%.

Without allowing any time to celebrate this first victory, Roosevelt begins pushing for the passage of the Federal Reserve Act, and it is passed by Congress on December 3, 1913.

Continuing with his reputation as a trustbuster from his first Administration,  Roosevelt pushed through the Clayton Antitrust Act making certain business practices illegal (such as price discrimination, agreements forbidding retailers from handling other companies’ products, and directorates and agreements to control other companies).  Roosevelt hailed this act as the greatest of his antitrust accomplishments, since it was more powerful than previous anti-trust laws, because individual officers of corporations could be held responsible if their companies violated the laws. More importantly, the new laws set out clear guidelines that corporations could follow, a dramatic improvement over the previous uncertainties.

On July 12, 1914, Justice Horace Lurton dies, and President Roosevelt appoints his former Attorney General Charles Bonaparte to the Court.

The 1914 Congressional Elections
Despite the ratification of the 17th Amendment, the Progressives are unable to make big gains in the Senate.  In the House, however, they gain an impressive majority.

House Results
Progressives: 228 (+28)
Democrats: 203 (-26)
Republicans: 4 (-2)

Senate Results:
Democrats: 46 (-3)
Progressives: 44 (+3)
Republicans: 6 (-)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 02:17:49 PM »

Although it had not been an issue during the 1914 campaign, war was looming in Europe.  On June 28, 1914, Gavrilo Princip, a Bosnian Serb student, shot and killed Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, in Sarajevo.  Princip was a member of Young Bosnia, a group whose aims included the unification of the South Slavs and independence from Austria-Hungary.  Following the assassination, President Roosevelt condemned the shooting, but urged his European counterparts not to rush into war.

Despite those comments, Roosevelt was privately preparing for war.  On July 1, Roosevelt met with the Chairman of the Senate Military Affairs, Senator George E. Chamberlain (D-OR), Senate Naval Affairs Chairman, Senator Benjamin Tillman (D-SC), and Senate Foreign Relations Chairman William J. Stone (D-MO), in order to see what his options were regarding war in Europe.

For the next several months, Roosevelt prepared for war.  He asked both Root and Stimson to create a detailed analysis of what would be required for a full scale war.  However, on May 7, 1915, the Lusitania was torpedoed by the German submarine, U-20, killing 1,198 of the 1,959 people aboard, including 128 Americans.

The next day, a livid President Roosevelt appears before Congress, and asks for a declaration of war against Germany and her allies, Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire and Bulgaria.  He asks Congress to act quickly, before another attack can take place against America.  Congress responds, as the Senate quickly passes the declaration of war by a vote of 95-1, with only Progressive William Borah of Idaho voting against.  The House then passes the declaration by a vote of 433-2, with only Democrat Peter Tague of Massachusetts and Porter Dale of Vermont voting against.  On May 8, 1915, the United States officially enters World War I.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2008, 08:04:53 PM by Reluctant Republican »

Nice start, I like it so far. Be interesting to see if an early entry to the war on the American side ends up averting any of the trouble that came out of the war's end IRL.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 10:31:58 PM »

On May 23, the first US troops arrive in Europe, as a contingent of 50,000 set foot in London, where they are greeted by roaring crowds.  The Chief Commander of US Forces is John Pershing, while the offensive at home is overseen primarily by Navy Secretary Josephus Daniels, who will become one of Roosevelt’s most important advisers during the War.

The majority of US troops are sent to Western Europe, while a smaller number go to Serbia, Africa, and Asia and the Pacific.  In Africa, a young Dwight Eisenhower wins international praise for his handling of a small number of troops following the death of his senior commander.

Despite US entry, the War continues to drag on, with heavy losses on both sides.  On May 23rd 1916, the 1 year anniversary of the arrival of US troops, President Roosevelt gives a speech to Congress, in which he urges them to appropriate even more money to the War effort.

On January 2, 1916, Justice Joseph Lamar dies in his Washington, DC home.  Roosevelt appoints Louis Brandeis to the Court, making him the first Jewish Justice.

The 1916 Presidential Election

As it does in all wars, life goes on, and the 1916 elections roll around.  The Democratic nomination is being decided between House Minority Leader Champ Clark of Missouri, and Governor George W. P. Hunt of Arizona.  President Roosevelt and Vice President Johnson are unchallenged for the Progressive Party nomination, and the GOP nomination is decided between Connecticut Governor Marcus H. Holcomb and Senator James Wadsworth Jr. of New York.

The 1916 Democratic National Convention

As the convention gathers in Baltimore, there are 1,062 delegates available, and 712 are needed for the nomination.  Entering the Convention, Congressman Clark controls 442 delegates; Governor Hunt controls 224 delegates, and the remaining 396 are either Unpledged or belong to Favorite Sons.

The 1st Ballot:

Prior to the start of the voting, the states of Connecticut and New Hampshire give their delegates to Clark, while Illinois, Michigan, and Pennsylvania give their delegates to Hunt.

Champ Clark: 464
George W. P. Hunt: 388
Others: 210

The 2nd Ballot:

The second ballot goes the same as the 1st, except for a switch for Maine and its 12 delegates going to Hunt.

George W. P. Hunt: 400
Others: 198

The 3rd Ballot:

There is no change from the 2nd.

Others: 198

The 4th Ballot:

On the 4th ballot, Clark scores a victory when Massachusetts and New Jersey, with a combined total of 64 delegates, gave him their delegates, while no states switched to Hunt.

Champ Clark: 528
Others: 134

The 5th Ballot:

Finally, the states begin to choose sides.  Clark is able to pick up the delegates from Rhode Island and Wisconsin, a total of 36 delegates, while Hunt picks up only the 8 delegates from Vermont.  New York remains the only state to vote for a favorite son, giving its 90 delegates to Franklin Roosevelt, the Assistant Secretary of the Navy.  However, even if New York switches, neither candidate will attain the 712 delegates needed to win the nomination.

Champ Clark: 564
George W. P. Hunt: 408
Franklin Roosevelt: 90

The 6th Ballot:

On the 6th ballot, things begin to settle.  A major victory for Clark comes when Pennsylvania and Illinois, with a combined total of 134 delegates, switch over to him from Hunt.  However, New York refuses to switch, and Roosevelt cannot be contacted to persuade his delegates to go for Clark.
Champ Clark: 698
George W. P. Hunt: 274
Franklin Roosevelt: 90

The 7th Ballot:

The end has come.  Clark is able to contact Roosevelt in DC, and Roosevelt tells the New York delegates to switch to Clark, giving him the necessary delegates to win the nomination.  as a show of good faith, Clark names Hunt as his Vice President.

Champ Clark: 788
George W. P. Hunt: 274

The 1916 Progressive National Convention

There is no debate, as Roosevelt and Johnson are nominated without opposition.  In his speech, Roosevelt promises to win the War in Europe, and continue working for the common man.

The 1916 Republican National Convention

The GOP nomination is decided between Connecticut Governor Marcus H. Holcomb and Senator James Wadsworth Jr. of New York.  On the first ballot, Holcomb is nominated, as Wadsworth is seen as being too young.  Holcomb selects Wadsworth as his running mate, and they prepare for the General Election.

The 1916 Presidential Campaign

Despite Holcomb winning the GOP nomination, the race is primarily between Clark and Roosevelt.  Clark argues that Roosevelt has corrupted the war effort, while Roosevelt emphasizes the strong economy, and the need for solid leadership in wartime.  On election day, the American public gives TR his 4th total term in office by a strong margin.

Teddy Roosevelt/Hiram Johnson: 46% PV, 315 EV
Champ Clark/George W. P. Hunt: 35% PV, 205 EV
Marcus H. Holcomb/James Wadsworth: 19% PV, 11 EV

The 1916 Congressional Elections

In both Houses, the Progressives make small gains, and take back the Senate by 1 seat.

House Results:
Progressives: 230 (+2)
Democrats: 201 (-2)
Republicans: 4 (-)

Senate Results:
Progressives: 47 (+3)
Democrats: 46 (-)
Republicans: 3 (-3)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 10:55:30 PM »

The Senate is governed by a coalition, correct?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 11:11:48 PM »

Yes, to an extent.  The GOP votes with the Progressives, giving them a majority, similar to the way Lieberman and Sanders vote with the Democrats.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 11:17:04 PM »

Yes, to an extent.  The GOP votes with the Progressives, giving them a majority, similar to the way Lieberman and Sanders vote with the Democrats.

But Lieberman and Sanders are part of the Democratic Caucus. I assume that's not the case in this TL, meaning that the Republicans could switch control if they so desired.

BTW, that's an intriguing possibility, if I should say so myself.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 12:01:17 AM »

But Lieberman and Sanders are part of the Democratic Caucus. I assume that's not the case in this TL, meaning that the Republicans could switch control if they so desired.

BTW, that's an intriguing possibility, if I should say so myself.

True, every two years, the GOP vote is up for grabs.  Usually, the Party that will hold a majority in the Senate will be the party that makes the most concessions to the GOP.  For now, it will be the Progressives, but that could change.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 05:15:31 AM »

Although it had not been an issue during the 1914 campaign, war was looming in Europe.  On June 28, 1914, Gavrilo Princip, a Bosnian Serb student, shot and killed Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, in Sarajevo.  Princip was a member of Young Bosnia, a group whose aims included the unification of the South Slavs and independence from Austria-Hungary.  Following the assassination, President Roosevelt condemned the shooting, but urged his European counterparts not to rush into war.

Despite those comments, Roosevelt was privately preparing for war.  On July 1, Roosevelt met with the Chairman of the Senate Military Affairs, Senator George E. Chamberlain (D-OR), Senate Naval Affairs Chairman, Senator Benjamin Tillman (D-SC), and Senate Foreign Relations Chairman William J. Stone (D-MO), in order to see what his options were regarding war in Europe.

For the next several months, Roosevelt prepared for war.  He asked both Root and Stimson to create a detailed analysis of what would be required for a full scale war.  However, on May 7, 1915, the Lusitania was torpedoed by the German submarine, U-20, killing 1,198 of the 1,959 people aboard, including 128 Americans.

The next day, a livid President Roosevelt appears before Congress, and asks for a declaration of war against Germany and her allies, Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire and Bulgaria.  He asks Congress to act quickly, before another attack can take place against America.  Congress responds, as the Senate quickly passes the declaration of war by a vote of 95-1, with only Progressive William Borah of Idaho voting against.  The House then passes the declaration by a vote of 433-2, with only Democrat Peter Tague of Massachusetts and Porter Dale of Vermont voting against.  On May 8, 1915, the United States officially enters World War I.
Bulgaria was not in the war in May 1915.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 12:13:18 PM »

In this TL, Bulgaria joins early, because Germany wants an extra ally against the impending entry of the US.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 02:56:14 PM »

Like a lot. Must go now!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 05:37:16 PM »

Thanks for your support; I guess it's a good thing I'm writing the TL and not you Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 05:37:43 PM »

Update?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 05:41:33 PM »

Hopefully today; I'm glad I haven't alienated anybody with my delegate totals for the DNC.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 05:46:21 PM »

Hopefully today; I'm glad I haven't alienated anybody with my delegate totals for the DNC.

We're too schocked that you actually did those to say anything. Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 05:49:22 PM »

I thought it would be fun, and I plan on making that a permanent part of this TL.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 06:01:25 PM »

I thought it would be fun, and I plan on making that a permanent part of this TL.

Well, I think it's fun, too.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 02:03:16 PM »

In this TL, Bulgaria joins early, because Germany wants an extra ally against the impending entry of the US.
If US entry into the war was impending, Bulgaria wouldn't join. There was a significant oppositon to that even in OTL.
Incidentaly, the US didn't declare war on Bulgaria during WWI, but of course TR was quite a different person from Wilson.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies