TR wins in 1912
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:17:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  TR wins in 1912
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
Author Topic: TR wins in 1912  (Read 115748 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2008, 04:00:52 PM »

If anyone has any questions, I will of course be more than happy to answer them.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2008, 11:29:59 PM »

The Third Term on Franklin Roosevelt

After being sworn in by Chief Justice McReynolds, President Roosevelt takes his Inaugural to discuss foreign policy.  He says that he wants America to continue being a beacon of democracy, and he encourages Americans to stand up and help people in need.

At the start of his term, Roosevelt focuses on domestic policy, establishing the United States Housing Authority in 1941.  This legislation, like nearly everything else Roosevelt has been attempting to pass recently, is not supported by the Southern barons, but rather by liberal Democrats and Progressives.

On June 7, 1941, in Munich, Germany, Adolf Hitler, Chancellor of Austria, and Herman Göring, Chancellor of Germany, sign the Munich Accords.  The Accords state that Austria and Germany have united to create the State of Austria-Germany, with Göring as Chancellor, and Hitler as Minister of State, the second most powerful position.  The capital will be established in Berlin, and all agreements signed by Hitler in Austria are null and void unless Göring approves of them, and vice versa.

In the US, especially, there is great concern of the unification of Germany and Austria.  President Roosevelt gathers Congressional leaders, and asks for a massive buildup of the US Navy, which is quickly granted.

In London, Prime Minister Winston Churchill is also concerned.  Churchill begins meeting privately with his Cabinet, preparing possible scenarios for war with the new country.  He also begins contacting President Roosevelt, as he will need US support if there is a war.

On September 11, 1941, as he is giving a speech in Berlin, Chancellor Göring is shot and killed by a young women named Eva Braun.  Braun is quickly captured, and sentenced to death by hanging.  However, mere moments before her execution, she is spared, as she is pardoned by the new Chancellor, Adolf Hitler.  Despite rumors of an affair between Hitler and Braun, nothing is ever conclusively proven.

On October 28, 1941, a fire breaks out at the Reichstag, the center of the German government.  Three men, American born Jews, are captured at the scene, and in a quick trial, admit to burning the building down, as they had hoped to restore US control not only of Austria but also of Germany.  They are quickly executed, by firing squad.

The next day, Germany declares war on the United States.  President Roosevelt responds in kind, despite vigorous protests by Progressive members of Congress; the only Progressive in either body to vote for the war is Senator Joseph Ball of Minnesota; facing reelection the next year, Ball thinks it will be a good idea to side with President Roosevelt.  On October 29, 1941, the United States officially declares war on Austria-Germany.  Three days later, the United Kingdom officially joins the War, siding with the United States, while the countries of Yugoslavia and Palestine join the German side.

For the first few weeks in November of 1941, the Axis powers wage an almost non-stop bombing campaign against the United Kingdom, hoping to demoralize them and force the United Kingdom to withdraw from the War.  On November 19, the Allies score a small victory when the country of Poland officially joins the War on their side.  This victory is short lived, however, as the Polish city of Krakow is bombed continually for almost 6 weeks, causing massive damage to the city’s infrastructure.

Despite the earlier planning sessions, President Roosevelt’s early efforts in the War are surprisingly uncoordinated.  He does not appoint a Supreme Commander until November 12; the position goes to Dwight D. Eisenhower, well known for his heroics in Africa during World War I.

Once he is organized, however, Roosevelt manages the war with remarkable efficiency.  In early December, he sends a large number of air force planes to England, helping to end the Axis bombing effort.  Also in December, Roosevelt sends a large number of troops into Palestine, led by General George Marshal, with the hopes of creating a Zionist insurrection in Palestine, forcing them to withdraw most of their troops.  Shockingly, the plan works, and on March 1, 1942, the Palestinians withdraw 90% of their ground troops, bringing them home to deal with a Zionist insurrection.

At home, however, opposition to the War was hardening.  All throughout the effort, Progressives had been attacking the War, saying it was unnecessary to declare war on Austria-Germany.  They also questioned Roosevelt’s conduct in the Middle East, saying that he had no right to attempt to overthrow a sovereign nation in Palestine.  The leading Congressional critic is Senator Burton Wheeler of Montana, while the War’s leading supporter is Senator Walter George (D-GA).

The 1942 Congressional Elections

Despite the continuing success of the War, the Democrats lose massive numbers of seats, especially in New England.  In the Senate, they suffer tremendous losses.  However, even the Progressives lose a seat, as Joseph Ball of Minnesota is defeated by a charismatic young man named Hubert Humphrey of the Farmer-Labor Party.

House Results:
Democrats: 231 (-46)
Progressives: 100 (+56))
Republicans: 60 (-24)
Farmer-Labor: 44 (+14)

Senate Results:
Democrats: 55 (-15)
Progressives: 29 (+12)
Republicans: 6 (+2)
Populist: 5 (-)
Farmer-Labor: 1 (+1)
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #127 on: May 31, 2008, 03:20:16 PM »

Why don't the Populists and Farmer-Labor parties just merge?  Then they can have strong regional presence, and be able to become a national party.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #128 on: May 31, 2008, 03:21:31 PM »

Why don't the Populists and Farmer-Labor parties just merge?  Then they can have strong regional presence, and be able to become a national party.

The Populists are basically a cult party for Huey Long, and concentrated in Louisiana, while the Farmer-Labor Party is spread throughout the Midwest.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2008, 03:23:06 PM »

Ah, I see.  Both would do well to expand into the South, I believe.  (I'm just kind of surprised about both because neither were introduced, they just had their names listed in Congressional elections a few pages ago.)  Good timeline anyhows.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #130 on: May 31, 2008, 03:36:01 PM »

Ah, I see.  Both would do well to expand into the South, I believe.  (I'm just kind of surprised about both because neither were introduced, they just had their names listed in Congressional elections a few pages ago.)  Good timeline anyhows.

Thanks; sorry about not introducing them, but Farmer-Labor will gain more prominence because of Senator Humphrey.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2008, 03:38:37 PM »

I think you should try to improve the foriegn relations area to have more details. Some of it seems a little shaky as to how it would happen. Also why would Palestine side with Germany?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2008, 03:40:54 PM »

Also why would Palestine side with Germany?

Hitler promised to put an end to the various Zionist troubles in the region.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2008, 03:41:18 PM »

So there was no coup in Yugoslavia by anti-German officers to overthrow the pro-German government, as in RL?

I think you should try to improve the foriegn relations area to have more details. Some of it seems a little shaky as to how it would happen. Also why would Palestine side with Germany?

Agreed. It will be interesting to see what Xahar has to say about this. Wink
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2008, 03:43:42 PM »

So there was no coup in Yugoslavia by anti-German officers to overthrow the pro-German government, as in RL?

Not yet, no.

Agreed. It will be interesting to see what Xahar has to say about this. Wink

I'm surprised Xahar hasn't commented yet.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2008, 03:52:44 PM »

Also what is Stalin doing?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2008, 03:53:32 PM »

Nothing much has changed in the USSR from OTL.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2008, 04:02:04 PM »

Xahar is on this thread.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: May 31, 2008, 04:04:31 PM »

I figured that Goering's diplomacy would be different from Hitler, and Ribbentrov wouldn't be Foriegn Minister and etc. Also, is Trotsky stirring up any trouble around the world?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #139 on: May 31, 2008, 04:08:58 PM »

Oh yes, I am. Gee, I go to play a baseball game and you suspect the worst? I'm not omnipresent, guys.

Thoughts:

• Palestine was British at the time. I may be misremembering, but I assume that that would still be the case. Even an independent Palestine would at most maintain a benevolent neutrality toward Germany. Rapid anti-Semitism was a fringe ideology in Palestine at the time.
  • Austria-Germany is a very stupid name. I know it sounds cool, but it's terrible. The state would have certainly been called Germany.
  • Is Papen the Mediocre still Reichspräsident?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #140 on: May 31, 2008, 04:21:06 PM »

Also, is Trotsky stirring up any trouble around the world?

No, seeing as how Stalin had him killed in 1933.

• Palestine was British at the time. I may be misremembering, but I assume that that would still be the case. Even an independent Palestine would at most maintain a benevolent neutrality toward Germany. Rapid anti-Semitism was a fringe ideology in Palestine at the time.

In this TL, Palestine was made a free and independent state after WWI.

• Austria-Germany is a very stupid name. I know it sounds cool, but it's terrible. The state would have certainly been called Germany.

Nitpicker.

Yes, but he's a mere figurehead, with no power.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: May 31, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »

My remaining points stand.

Nitpicker.

It makes for a better TL.

Has he made any equivalent of the Marburg speech yet?

Also, where's Schleicher?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #142 on: May 31, 2008, 04:37:53 PM »

This is not merely anti-Semitism; it is an attempt to prevent an overthrow of the government.

[/quote]

Papen will not be making any type of Marburg speech in this TL.  Schleicher is Commander-in-Chief of German military operations in Europe.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: May 31, 2008, 04:49:42 PM »

This is not merely anti-Semitism; it is an attempt to prevent an overthrow of the government.

But why would the government initially side with Germany?

Papen will not be making any type of Marburg speech in this TL.  Schleicher is Commander-in-Chief of German military operations in Europe.

When does Papen's term expire?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #144 on: May 31, 2008, 04:57:31 PM »

Germany promised, once the war was over, to put a permanent end to any Zionist difficulties.

[/quote]

Shortly after the start of the war, Hitler suspended all elections until after the war.  Every member of the government is safe for as long as the war lasts.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: May 31, 2008, 05:07:36 PM »

Germany promised, once the war was over, to put a permanent end to any Zionist difficulties.

Fair enough.

Shortly after the start of the war, Hitler suspended all elections until after the war.  Every member of the government is safe for as long as the war lasts.

He hasn't made Germany a one-party state? Huh

Is there any Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact (or something similar)?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #146 on: May 31, 2008, 05:16:27 PM »

[/quote]

Nothing similar, no.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: May 31, 2008, 05:26:12 PM »

Nothing similar, no.

In that case, what's Russia doing in relation to the war?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #148 on: May 31, 2008, 05:30:02 PM »

Nothing similar, no.

At this time, Russia is staying out of the war altogether.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: May 31, 2008, 05:41:35 PM »

Nothing similar, no.

At this time, Russia is staying out of the war altogether.

But to whom is it sympathetic? I'm sure it has designs on Poland.

A map would be of assistance here.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies